• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trip to Italy

While waiting on the Barca write up, can any of you recommend some under the radar towns in Tuscany not called Pienza, Pisa, Montepulciano, Montelcino, Lucca, etc.?

While waiting on the Barca write up, can any of you recommend some under the radar towns in Tuscany not called Pienza, Pisa, Montepulciano, Montelcino, Lucca, etc.?
Man, harsh.

San Gmignano is beautiful though hopefully you get better weather than the day we went.

Cortona is from Under the Tuscan Sun fame if you’re into that.

Promise I’ll do more of a write up this week. I’ve got time.

Listen, no matter what else you do, be sure to order a limoncello the second you sit down to eat dinner. Just watching your waiter fume in absolute disdain will be well worth it.
Double up and order a cappuccino after 10 am. The disgust will be palpable.

We just spent several days in Cortona back in late September/early-October and had a great time. Rented e-bikes and biked all over the area and it was just fantastic.

I already have a couple winery visits lined up for my trip. One in Orvieto (Tenuta Le Velette) and another in Montelcino (Sanra Guilia winery).

Got any other favorites in Tuscany that you have been to or has anyone been to any of the ones in Frascati outside of Rome?

would a quick 3 day trip to florence be worth it or would jet lag make that a rough 3 days?

San Giovanne d'asso
Castelmuzio is delightfully tiny and charming - good restaurant in town
Trequanda - same thing, there's a michelin starred restaurant there

Booked flights yesterday.

RDU -> IAD -> FCO

30,000 AMEX MR points so $300.00, and $53.00 in fees. Pretty happy with that for July travel.

I already have a couple winery visits lined up for my trip. One in Orvieto (Tenuta Le Velette) and another in Montelcino (Sanra Guilia winery).

Got any other favorites in Tuscany that you have been to or has anyone been to any of the ones in Frascati outside of Rome?
Poggio Amorelli is a great spot in Tuscany south of Florence.

is a modified cinque terre walk doable from florence as a day trip? will have 2 small kids so just want to do some to check it out

but with a 2 hour drive each way, I think you could do some of the walk

We looked into that the last time we were in Florence but its like 2 hours by car to La Spezia and then you have to either take the train into cinque terre or hike and then vice versa to leave if you're not staying overnight. I just decided it would be the waste of a day so we bagged it. Plus its completely overrun by tourists these days.

We looked into that the last time we were in Florence but its like 2 hours by car to La Spezia and then you have to either take the train into cinque terre or hike and then vice versa to leave if you're not staying overnight. I just decided it would be the waste of a day so we bagged it. Plus its completely overrun by tourists these days.
we would do train to la spezia then catch another to one of the towns. probably walk from one town to the next then take a train back t ola spezia before catching another back to florence

Greece or Italian Lakes?

So our cruise ends in Athens and we get off the boat on a Monday. I plan to fly back to the US but haven't decided on Saturday or Sunday. Two options:

-Stay in Greece from Monday - Saturday (we visit Mykonos and Santorini during the cruise)
-Stay in Athens on Monday when we get off, then fly to Milan on Tuesday. Do the Lake from Tuesday - Sunday then fly back to the States.

Thoughts? We have never done Greece or the Lake region of Italy. My wife would prefer to do the lakes but that also adds in an extra flight (Athens to Milan). Fine paying for the extra flight, just thinking of the headache of having to get to and from another airport in the middle of the trip.

We will be traveling with our 2 year old.

Trip is in late July.

Back