• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trip to Italy

Greece or Italian Lakes?

So our cruise ends in Athens and we get off the boat on a Monday. I plan to fly back to the US but haven't decided on Saturday or Sunday. Two options:

-Stay in Greece from Monday - Saturday (we visit Mykonos and Santorini during the cruise)
-Stay in Athens on Monday when we get off, then fly to Milan on Tuesday. Do the Lake from Tuesday - Sunday then fly back to the States.

Thoughts? We have never done Greece or the Lake region of Italy. My wife would prefer to do the lakes but that also adds in an extra flight (Athens to Milan). Fine paying for the extra flight, just thinking of the headache of having to get to and from another airport in the middle of the trip.

We will be traveling with our 2 year old.

Trip is in late July.
I have been hearing good things Paros, Naxos and Antiparos. They are nice islands but and not as crowded as Santorini or Mykonos.

If you're already doing a cruise/hitting the Greek Isles, Italy probably makes more sense in my opinion.

But I also agree with Timmy, that you could easily ferry-hop to some smaller, less-touristy islands (Hydra and Spetses are really close to Athens) and have a blast. Athens is worth doing to see all the history, and has a couple really cool neighborhoods, but is pretty easily doable in 2 days. Greece will also be a lot cheaper than Italy.

Also, would appreciate any Rome/Amalfi Coast recs.

Posted on the European travel thread, but staying 2 nights in Rome, 3 nights in Ravello, and 3 nights in Positano in early October.

plus less greeks (@TimmyClutch )
My guy was talking about Athens in July, I presumed he knew the temps would be 110 or so. But my thoughts were also that if you’re going to go to some of the most crowded places in Greece via cruise during tourist season, it may also be nice to relax on a less crowded beach afterwards and see parts of the country that are only starting to be discovered (also prices). My wife is very much against going back to Santorini and Mykonos because during Covid they were pretty empty and they will never be that way again.

My guy was talking about Athens in July, I presumed he knew the temps would be 110 or so. But my thoughts were also that if you’re going to go to some of the most crowded places in Greece via cruise during tourist season, it may also be nice to relax on a less crowded beach afterwards and see parts of the country that are only starting to be discovered (also prices). My wife is very much against going back to Santorini and Mykonos because they both suck.

My wife is very much against going back to Santorini and Mykonos because during Covid they were pretty empty and they will never be that way again.

This is kind of how I feel about The Masters after going in 2021 with no bleachers and hardly any spectators. It was also pre-LIV. It will never be like that again.

Placeholder here so I can come back and comment on Barca’s trip summary once he posts it, even if this thread is closed

The average high temperature in Athens, in July/August is 90 degrees. It was like 96 one day when we were there and people were noticeably upset about the heat. So basically it's like Charlotte/Winston without the humidity and a sea nearby. They did have a nasty heat wave (along with the rest of Europe) last July though.

The average high temperature in Athens, in July/August is 90 degrees. It was like 96 one day when we were there and people were noticeably upset about the heat. So basically it's like Charlotte/Winston without the humidity and a sea nearby. They did have a nasty heat wave (along with the rest of Europe) last July though.
It is also a city with little shade and a lot of concrete (and no escalators to the top of monuments). That being said Athens is great and the islands are great and the food is great.

Leave for Italy in 5 days. Got all reservations where we want to go taken care of. Need one more restaurant to hit in Rome. Prefer a locals non tourist type joint away from city center.

Anybody got a favorite that comes to mind?

Leave for Italy in 5 days. Got all reservations where we want to go taken care of. Need one more restaurant to hit in Rome. Prefer a locals non tourist type joint away from city center.

6 days for us

barca will be right with you

Back