• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trip to Italy

Anybody ever hiked The Path of the Gods above the Amalfi Coast? Looks pretty incredible, and not super physically challenging, but the logistics seem to be a bit of a pain.

trying to plan a spur of the moment trip to Italy within the next 4-6 weeks with my teenage son. Probably 7 days tops. Worth it? Rome? Where would you go if you only had 7 days for the whole trip? Don’t want an organized tour where you are with a big group getting on and off buses.

Last edited:
trying to plan a spur of the moment trip to Italy within the next 4-6 weeks with my teenage son. Probably 7 days tops. Worth it? Rome? Where would you go if you only had 7 days for the whole trip? Don’t want an organized tour where you are with a big group getting on and off buses.
Venice and Milan are an easy train ride apart and 3 days in each would be good

Florence and Rome us the only answer for a first time visit to Italy on a short itinerary. Mix in a couple of towns in Tuscany.

Florence and Rome us the only answer for a first time visit to Italy on a short itinerary. Mix in a couple of towns in Tuscany.
TITCR. 3 days in rome. train to florence. spend the rest of your trip in tuscany. save venice for a second trip.

by the way, getting a flight from CLT to Italy in January is a pain in the ass. far less connection options than in season.

Venice was so populated with tourists that it was unbearable. Rome and Florence for sure, I isn’t make it over to Tuscany but wish we did. Went to Cinque Terre and it was great!

Just joined so these recommendations may have been repeated:
Take the train! Never drive! It's worse than Atlanta! Especially if your accommodations are in the suburbs.
Midtown AirB&B 2X$ of a suburban but I would do the former.
I thought the Vatican a little overrated. Unless you are of the faith.
Consider St.Paul's Outside the Walls. As impressive as St. Peter's and nobody's there! Maybe the crypt of St Paul, who wrote the NT.

Thanks for all the input….very helpful. I am pushing hard for Italy and thought it was decided upon, but last night my son threw me a curveball. He brought up Peru…going to Cusco as the base for day trips to Machu Picchu, Rainbow Mountain, sand boarding down the dunes etc. I have done Machu Picchu once years and years ago. Very cool to do, but am torn between those two trips. Totally different vibes, but both could be a lot of fun.

well if you do peru, let us know how it goes. thinking of taking our young adult boys there next summer. (18, 21, 21)

Were it me and I knew I could still get a direct flight into Rome from Charlotte, I would do that.

From there I would take a train out to Florence and do that for 3 days then return and do Rome for 3 days. It may be too late to get reservations for the best tours but you still ought to make out all right. Rome is so big and spread out you can never do it all and I have been 4 times in last 20 years and still haven't seen everything.

As someone else said, the wine is certainly better in Italy.

Thanks for all the input….very helpful. I am pushing hard for Italy and thought it was decided upon, but last night my son threw me a curveball. He brought up Peru…going to Cusco as the base for day trips to Machu Picchu, Rainbow Mountain, sand boarding down the dunes etc. I have done Machu Picchu once years and years ago. Very cool to do, but am torn between those two trips. Totally different vibes, but both could be a lot of fun.
Peru is great, as you already know, but going down there and doing Machu Picchu in 7 days would be a very tight trip imo. You'd probably be looking at something like:

Day 1: Fly to Lima
Day 2: Fly to Cusco
Day 3: Acclimate to altitude in Cusco
Day 4: Train to Aguas Calientes
Day 5: Machu Picchu and train back to Cusco
Day 6: Fly back to Lima
Day 7: Fly from Lima

I don't think you could realistically fit anything else in on a 7 day trip. Rainbow Mountain is like 4 or 5 hrs from Cusco iirc so I don't think that would work with this itinerary. You'd also be playing with fire if one of you gets sick the first day or two at altitude since there is no wiggle room.

The other catch with a trip on relatively short notice is that you need to check asap that there are tickets for Machu Picchu still available.

If I was you I'd do Rome with either Florence or Naples mixed in for a few days.

It's only a 2 hour train trip from Florence to Venice so it would be a shame not to see Venice if planning to spend multiple days in Florence.

It's only a 2 hour train trip from Florence to Venice so it would be a shame not to see Venice if planning to spend multiple days in Florence.

there is so much to do in florence, it would be a shame to not spend multiple days in florence and see as much as you could

You may not need a full three days in Florence, but you could spend weeks visiting the smaller towns and cities in Tuscany via a short train or car ride from Florence. You also need to cgi e yourself half a day or so to recover from the flight.

Back