• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump Will Win the Nomination

Depends on what you mean by "pretty significant opposition", because to me he romped through the party, and has effectively garnered most of the support from the primary backers in the GOP.

I didn't say he did, but I would certainly argue that Buchanan and Trump are on similar wavelengths politically. My question was earnest, what does "let's go back to the good old days" mean to you or Deac89?

I'm disputing the notion that because Trump or Buchanan say something that somehow that's the position of all republicans. It's a ludicrous assertion. Trump won with a plurality, yes. Not even a majority. He also had #NeverTrump against him which was pretty much organization on an unprecedented level in a primary. The bottom line is that there are a lot of republicans who are unhappy about him winning the nomination.

Regarding the "good old days" quote, I think Buchanan means the same thing you think he does and I certainly don't like it. With Trump, I think it's a more job-oriented and anti-globalization position.

I'm disputing the notion that because Trump or Buchanan say something that somehow that's the position of all republicans. It's a ludicrous assertion. Trump won with a plurality, yes. Not even a majority. He also had #NeverTrump against him which was pretty much organization on an unprecedented level in a primary. The bottom line is that there are a lot of republicans who are unhappy about him winning the nomination.

Regarding the "good old days" quote, I think Buchanan means the same thing you think he does and I certainly don't like it. With Trump, I think it's a more job-oriented and anti-globalization position.

Thanks for the answer. I wasn't trying to insinuate that all Republicans want to throw it back to the "good old days" but it pops up a decent amount on here and in the media so I was curious what people thought it meant.

I don't know why you guys give BKF such a hard time. His support of Trump is consistent with his past statements. He has always loathed the free trade agreements, and Trump is vehemently against those like Perot was. And apart from that, he obviously has no real modern GOP leanings, or certainly none that can't be bent one way or the other. He's like a 70s Rockefeller Republican with an 80s Democrat view of free trade. You could pretty easily throw a D tag on him when all is said and done.

Well said. I even voted for Perot in 1996, so we have some historical precedence there.

But they're not unhappy because he wants to "Make America Great Again."

I don't know why you guys give BKF such a hard time.

For sport of course. He invites it like a whore at a GOP convention.

LOL. It's kinda like being surprised that people give rj a hard time. I guess when you an entitled pampered millennial that has never worked a day in your life, you just don't understand these things.

But they're not unhappy because he wants to "Make America Great Again."

Yes, that's right. He hasn't been criticized for his anti-immigration and anti-Muslim comments by republicans at all. My bad.

Yes, that's right. He hasn't been criticized for his anti-immigration and anti-Muslim comments by republicans at all. My bad.

But he still won the primary...and has gotten over 50% of the vote in the past 6-10 states.

Remember he's also the guy who will "bring jobs back to America" while refusing to hire ANY of the 300+ Americans who applied at Mira Lago in favor of bringing in foreign workers. Or building Trump Towers with Polish workers, because there are no American construction workers who'd like to work on one job for a year or much more.

But he still won the primary...and has gotten over 50% of the vote in the past 6-10 states.

Remember he's also the guy who will "bring jobs back to America" while refusing to hire ANY of the 300+ Americans who applied at Mira Lago in favor of bringing in foreign workers. Or building Trump Towers with Polish workers, because there are no American construction workers who'd like to work on one job for a year or much more.

And neither of those points are responsive to my premise.

And neither of those points are responsive to my premise.

Being criticized and still getting a majority of the vote means most Republicans in those states don't have a serious problem with his racist stands or they wouldn't have voted for him.

Sure some have criticized him for that, but he's not too far off from mainline Republicans in those beliefs. Republicans have been talking about a wall for decades.

#NeverTrump spent more than $75 million doing stuff like that....and where did it get them?

By now there are no secrets left in this election. One other thing, the polls in this election are going to consistently understate Trump's strength. They did it all the way thru the primary process and they will do it all the way thru the general election. And there is an obvious reason what that has happened and why it will continue to happen: The media...just like many posters on this board...make every attempt to shame, belittle & insult people who support Trump, so many Trump supporters will be reluctant to openly admit that they are going to vote for Trump. They are still out there, though.....tens of millions of them, as you saw in the GOP primaries. He just won six straight states without losing a single county. All the while, the hatred & disgust that millions of people have for Hillary Clinton hasn't receded at all. Stay tuned. There is going to be a lot more going on in the next six months. Here is some food for thought:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/clinton-has-the-map-on-1421857612800054.html

There are still plenty of unknowns about Trump personally and financially. The first time he tees off on Bubba more than a few ugly details will come out like a ton of bricks. Ask Newt and Herman Cain how that went. If Trump's taxes were squeaky clean and he were truly worth $10B, he would have released his returns by now. McCain and Mitt didn't fudge their net worth, but they also didn't release 7 years of returns like Obama either.

Agree that Trump's support is understated, but there's no stigma towards women or Latinos to say how much they hate him. That's his EC problem. Can't get to 270 with negatives that high among those two groups. Also don't think Hillary's negatives are understated. Personally can't stand her and have never claimed otherwise. Just dislike and mistrust Trump and the GOP more. Nobody forced Trump to claim Obama was born in Kenya or that Cruz's dad was involved in JFK's assassination. Same with the government shutdown, 60+ pointless Obamacare repeal votes, and fucking over Garland. Would never vote for Trump or Cruz under those circumstances. HRC and Bernie are both flawed, but are easy default choices under the circumstances.

I didn't realize it was "douchey" to say a former supermodel is still good at her former job.

I know what you think the hypocrisy is, but that's way off.

Back