• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tubby Smith out at Minneota, per Twitter

KidA23

Reaction score
It's a race, and Shaka is the prize lying at the finish line. UCLA or UM...who gets there first?

Neither - Minnesota is where good basketball coaches go to die

I just think it's criminal that these coaches are expected to continually take their teams to the NCAA's. What happened to caring about grades and culture and not just wins and losses? I'm really glad we have an AD who can see past the statistics and care about what's really important.

This isn't on the coaching carousel thread why?

This isn't on the coaching carousel thread why?

Thought it deserved its own thread; feel free to make yourself useful and add it in that thread, too. God forbid we discuss a topic in more than one thread; surely we haven't been doing that with respect to any other sports-related topics.

Huh. Maybe this is common knowledge, but I wasn't aware Tubby started out as an assistant at VCU.

Agreed, this is probably one of the harder jobs in the Big 10.

I always thought that their nabbing of Tubby was a big of coup for Minnesota - no idea why you'd fire a guy responsible for the only success the program has had since their academic fraud days of the 90s

I'm probably in the minority, but I think Minnesota is a pretty good job. In the best conference in America, only D1 program in the state, plus a lot of in-state talent. I could see the appeal to that job.

I'm probably in the minority, but I think Minnesota is a pretty good job. In the best conference in America, only D1 program in the state, plus a lot of in-state talent. I could see the appeal to that job.

And a Final Four appearance witnessed by people who are still alive. #beatswake

Shaka to Minnesota sounds more realistic since the Gophers AD hired Shaka before.
He is also from Wisconsin

Minneapolis in the winter doubles for the ice planet hoth - it is unbearable. And this is coming from somebody raised in Iowa and living in Chicago.

Shaka to Minnesota sounds more realistic since the Gophers AD hired Shaka before.
He is also from Wisconsin

I also tend to think that a school like Minnesota wouldn't just up and fire a coach like Tubby given the season they just had plus the size of Tubby's buyout unless their AD really had something big up his sleeve.

Then again, I thought nearly the identical thing when Wellman fired Dino, and we see where that got us.

Back