• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tulane Game Review / Duke Game Week Thread

Deac94

Reaction score
TULANE GAME REVIEW

Here’s the start of my writeup on the Tulane game. I’ll have some more notes and observations later today or tomorrow morning.
(A quick note: The 11 stats below are the ones that I plan to start my write-ups with all season long. I’ll also find a way to compare between games as the season progresses)

OFFENSE - STATS
Total Yards: 175
Explosive (20+ yard) Plays: 0
# of Drives > 40 Yards: 1
% of RB carries 3 yards or greater: 44% (8 of 18 carries)

DEFENSE - STATS

Total Yards Against:280
Explosive Plays Against: 3
# of Drives > 40 Yards Against: 2
Disruptive Plays by the DL: 10.5 (note: Wake didn’t have more than 7 in a single game last season)
Turnovers Forced: 1

SPECIAL TEAMS – STATS
“Special” Plays: 1 (Stewart’s Blocked FG)
% of Kickoff Returns 30 yards or more: 100% (1 for 1)

OFFENSE: OVERVIEW

Clawson said post-game that Tulane played a significant amount of Cover-1. As I understand it, Tulane had a single safety deep and challenged their experienced CBs to take away Wake’s outside pass routes using man coverage. That set up an important test for Wake’s receiver group that has been so highly praised this summer. That test was won by the Tulane DBs.

The benefit of playing Cover-1 was the additional safety that it added to the box, allowing Tulane to play with an 8-man front instead of a 7-man front. This was a curious move by Tulane and it’s certainly not the defensive plan that Wake typically faces (Wake hasn’t exactly carved up many 7 man fronts recently, so teams have been happy to take away our running game with 6 and 7-man fronts while blanketing pass coverage with a full complement of DBs). But it worked for Tulane and may have helped to bottle-up Hinton’s run game.

All of Wake’s offensive possessions were 6 or fewer plays (and 18 yards or less) with the exception of:

1) a 7 play / 33 yard drive in the second quarter that started with 4 straight John Wolford completions for 37 total yards before stalling inside Tulane territory when a first down pass to Scotty Washington fell incomplete and was followed by two Matt Colburn runs that netted only a single yard.

2) the 12 play / 53-yard touchdown drive that was the difference in the game. That drive started at the Wake Forest 47 yard line and featured a 16-yard completion from Wolford to Matt Colburn and the longest runs of the evening for both Kendall Hinton (13 yards) and Matt Colburn (8 yards).

QBs / PASSING GAME

The two QBs combined for a 57% completion percentage, but attempted only 21 passes (with 17 of those pass attempts coming from Wolford).

The big story was the QBs inability to connect with the outside receiver group that might have forced Tulane out of Cover-1. Wolford targeted Wake’s outside receiver group (Washington, Lewis, Claude and Bachman) 9 times but completed only 3 of those passes for 25 total yards. Hinton would attempt only 1 pass to the outside receiver group (an 8 yard completion).

DEFENSE – 3 STARS OF THE GAME
#1 STAR – Julian Thomas-Jackson. Despite playing almost exclusive on third-and-long he had two sacks and a forced fumble on the decisive final play. Where have YOU been hiding?????
#2 STAR – Jessie Bates. Seven solo tackles. Consistently solid all evening, including some key tackles when he was the last line of defense. A very, very nice debut for the rFR.
#3 STAR – Chris Stewart. He had a sack and a QBH to go along with the FG block on special teams.

OFFENSE - PLAYING TIME NOTES

rFR Nathan Gilliam played a significant number of snaps at RG in relief of Phil Haynes (Haynes had simply worn down physically, but apparently didn’t suffer an injury per se).

Matt Colburn led the RBs in carries. Rocky Reid saw the field but didn’t record a single carry.

It appeared that Cortez Lewis didn’t see the field until the second half. Scotty Washington went the whole way in the first half at X-WR.

Alex Bachman and Steven Claude appeared to divide snaps about 50/50.

DEFENSE – PLAYING TIME NOTES

The situation at DT is starting to get scary. Obviously Zeek Rodney isn’t with the team (although he did tweet about the team and game, which was interesting). Josh Banks missed the game (late scratch because of a hamstring). Willie Yarbary left the game early in the second quarter and didn’t return. That left Wake with a 3-man rotation of Chris Stewart, Shelldon Lewinson and rFR Elontae Bateman. All three played significant snaps. True FR Sulamain Kamara didn’t dress for the game and is presumably dealing with an injury of his own.

Duke Ejiofor was limited in warmups and is clearly not 100%. He still had a good game though.

Both Marquel Lee and Jaboree Williams got banged up. Williams appeared to be hampered by his ankle once he returned to the game. Grant Dawson played a lot of snaps.

Essang Bassey saw some snaps at corner.

Julian Thomas-Jackson, Josh Okonye, Thomas Brown and Shelldon Lewinson look to be the consistent subs in the third down subpackage this year.

OTHER NOTES

The most worrisome offensive stat: Wake had 19 plays of 1st-and-10 but managed 3 yards or more on just 7 (37%) of those plays. That left a lot of unfavorable down and distance throughout the game.

The most worrisome defensive stat: the LBs combined for only 6 solo tackles, while the safeties combined for 16 solo tackles. Where art thou Brandon Chubb?

3 redshirts were burned: Dom Maggio, Cade Carney, and Essang Bassey

Last edited:
I think I probably speak for many others when I offer many thanks for the effort you put in 94, can't be much fun especially analyzing our offense.

Thanks for that very good game review. I am not as astute an observer as you, but will provide my review:
:sick:

Thanks for that very good game review. I am not as astute an observer as you, but will provide my review:
:sick:

Can you imagine having to sit there and study the replay of the game last night and provide analysis on the offense? A whole bottle of JD wouldn't be enough.

Hinton was Wake's leading rusher with 24 yards. That's a telling statistic in that, one, nobody had more than 24 yards, and two, he only played a few downs, and three, Wolford played the rest of the game at QB.

This is all very nice. I would add
FRIGHTENING:
it has been said in many places but the real issue with this team is the offense. The only way to fix it is to get through this year and go out and hire an OC and whomever he needs to put a modern workable, aggressive scheme in place. We may not have the best players but we can have a system that gives them a chance to succeed. How can Clawson be surprised that Hinton couldn't run. Do we quit every time someone plays cover 1? Once the Wave saw how one dimensional he is they just negated him altogether. Hell teams stopped Leonard Fournette when they realized LSU could not throw. Our offense has no deception, no quickness in execution and no surprises. we have nothing we do well. Its the coaching. If Clawson refuses to deal with this as much as i like him and want him to work and stay he should be gone. This game is a warning to all of us- especially Clawson. This is a pathetic place to be in your third year. Believe what you see on the field, not on paper. Good god Dave, grow some balls.

FRIGHTENING:
it has been said in many places but the real issue with this team is the offense. The only way to fix it is to get through this year and go out and hire an OC and whomever he needs to put a modern workable, aggressive scheme in place. We may not have the best players but we can have a system that gives them a chance to succeed. How can Clawson be surprised that Hinton couldn't run. Do we quit every time someone plays cover 1? Once the Wave saw how one dimensional he is they just negated him altogether. Hell teams stopped Leonard Fournette when they realized LSU could not throw. Our offense has no deception, no quickness in execution and no surprises. we have nothing we do well. Its the coaching. If Clawson refuses to deal with this as much as i like him and want him to work and stay he should be gone. This game is a warning to all of us- especially Clawson. This is a pathetic place to be in your third year. Believe what you see on the field, not on paper. Good god Dave, grow some balls.

Man, do we miss Troy Calhoun.

Well you know what the football types always say: the biggest improvement always comes between game one and game two. If that is the case, we need to take Evel with us and jump the Grand Canyon to close this gap to beat the Pukies in Game Two.

Well you know what the football types always say: the biggest improvement always comes between game one and game two. If that is the case, we need to take Evel with us and jump the Grand Canyon to close this gap to beat the Pukies in Game Two.

So we can maybe expect to score in double digits next week?

Taylor Zarzour (ESPN radio) and Rick Neuheusel (College sports radio station) were killing Wake's offensive performance this morning. Brutal. In fairness, Rick also gave a big shout out to our D also discussing the 6-3 2OT and 3-0 wins last year. Said you can't win with such an enemic offensive production, but Wake's D did it 3 times in two years. Ugh.

FRIGHTENING:

We do not need a repeat of Lobo and Grobe. Forget how much you like the OC and see that he is not producing a product on the field and get him to change of change your OC

Taylor Zarzour (ESPN radio) and Rick Neuheusel (College sports radio station) were killing Wake's offensive performance this morning. Brutal. In fairness, Rick also gave a big shout out to our D also discussing the 6-3 2OT and 3-0 wins last year. Said you can't win with such an enemic offensive production, but Wake's D did it 3 times in two years. Ugh.

Good, I hope the players hear it and I hope the coaches hear it.

Clawson is coaching the TE's and is an ex-OC, so this is his offense.

Yeah that is a good point. It's not like Grobe who was a defensive coach through the ranks, Clawson is from that side of the ball and bares even more blame as head coach I think.

FRIGHTENING:

I am sportsnut, and I agree with this post. (it IS political season after all)

With Sirk now likely out for the season, Duke has been running Daniel Jones a lot at 1st string QB. Built a lot like Sirk at 6'5", 210. He's either beat out Parker Boehme, Boehme may be slightly injured (he did play in last scrimmage), or Jones is getting more reps to bring him up faster to play level. Both played in their final scrimmage about equal minutes.

A tall, big QB with a good arm and a huge OL for protection scares me. Also, Duke still has a good stable of RBs including Jela Duncan. Duke will miss some players from last year (primarily Jeremy Cash who single handedly beat GT) but could improve enough as the season progresses to win 6-8 games, IMO.

94 - Great analysis.

Very damning that Tulane's DC could look at the talent on hand at WF, and decide that he could afford to essentially stack the box with 8 defenders to stuff a running game that has been pathetic for years, and even more disconcerting that WF was unable to generate even a minimal passing attack to take advantage of that strategy. There is no opponent on Tulane's schedule, including 1-AA Southern University and 0-12 UCF that will have as pathetic an offensive performance against the Tulane D.

94 - Great analysis.

Very damning that Tulane's DC could look at the talent on hand at WF, and decide that he could afford to essentially stack the box with 8 defenders to stuff a running game that has been pathetic for years, and even more disconcerting that WF was unable to generate even a minimal passing attack to take advantage of that strategy. There is no opponent on Tulane's schedule, including 1-AA Southern University and 0-12 UCF that will have as pathetic an offensive performance against the Tulane D.

I agree. Our offense was astoundingly bad last night. And it got worse as the game went on, not better.

Back