• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tulane Game Review / Duke Game Week Thread

The biggest learning for me is how important Alex Bachman, Scotty Washington and Steven Claude are going to be to this season. There's been so much hand wringing about the run game that it was easy to overlook the young receivers. If they are going to get that many snaps they are going to need to make plays and the QBs are going to have to get them better balls as well. If Wake had connected on, say, 2 of the longer passing attempts then the score and stats would have certainly looked a little more palatable. Obviously Claude and Washington were seeing the first game action of their careers and Bachman was seeing his first significant game action, so I'm chalking it up to first game jitters. Credit Tulane's DBs for making a couple of nice plays on the ball as well.

One of my good buddies is a rabid UT Vols fan like we are Wake fans and he can't stand Clawson. He texted me when he was hired and said 'good luck with that...' and now looking back, I kind of get what he was saying when he talked about the dumpster fire at UT while Clawson was there. Dave presents well and everything, but apparently has a not so great reputation for his offensive schemes aside from when he was moderately successful at Bowling Green with a stud QB.

I agree that it's not the OL's fault anymore. The delayed handoff bullshit is a momentum killer and music chairs with both QB's to only then play the inferior one more given the O's strengths and weaknesses is baffling. Glad we didn't buy season tickets...

The WRs made zero plays last night.

I disagree whole heartedly. There were at least four passes to Claude and Lewis that were way underthrown by Wolford (the one that was 'overthrown' was not overthrown at all...Lewis stopped to come back to the ball and then sped up again to catch it...slipping right through his hands). Hines also got big separation twice on two drop back passes and was looked off for one of Wolford's terrible scrambles to the middle of the pile. And let's not forget the two to Scotty Washington...one sailed out of bounds four feet over his head and the other was thrown to the sideline out of bounds.

Our WR's are legit. Wolford and the O schemes just plain stink. Go Deacs

WRs that make plays don't drop passes that hit them in the hands.

WRs that make plays don't drop passes that hit them in the hands.

Fair point. Only one was Cortez Lewis last night that should have definitely been hauled in and Lewis has proven that he's a playmaker. More focused on the guy throwing the terrible passes when the WR's had two-three steps on their man and had to slow down because of Wolford's underthrown tosses. Those where technically it hit their hands, also involved coverage that wouldn't have been in the picture with a better pass. Two way street. I give more benefit of doubt to the WR group than our QB that played most of the game

Last edited:
Wolford generally sucked last night. He had a couple of decent passes that could have been caught too.

If we were going to go deep to beat them as a gameplan, why not use Hinton who generally throws a much better deep ball?

Wolford's connection percentage on deep passes has never been good during his time here.

The biggest learning for me is how important Alex Bachman, Scotty Washington and Steven Claude are going to be to this season. There's been so much hand wringing about the run game that it was easy to overlook the young receivers. If they are going to get that many snaps they are going to need to make plays and the QBs are going to have to get them better balls as well. If Wake had connected on, say, 2 of the longer passing attempts then the score and stats would have certainly looked a little more palatable. Obviously Claude and Washington were seeing the first game action of their careers and Bachman was seeing his first significant game action, so I'm chalking it up to first game jitters. Credit Tulane's DBs for making a couple of nice plays on the ball as well.

Thanks for the statistical breakdown. Very well done.

I agree with you and others on this thread regarding the need for the WRs to make plays. Some of that is obviously on the QBs, but Washington, Wade, Claude, Lewis, and Bachman all had chances for long catches that they couldn't haul in. The WRs will need to make more plays going forward.

Wolford generally sucked last night. He had a couple of decent passes that could have been caught too.

If Wolford isn't throwing accurate passes, then there really is no reason at all to play him over Hinton. That's the thing he's supposed to bring over Hinton is passing accuracy.

Wow, SCATHING stuff from Rafi. Hope his paycheck is secure

The WRs made good plays just to get a hand on some of those ducks Wolford threw.

If we aren't hearing about Kearns torching our vaunted 3rd string defense he probably isn't the immediate answer.

Wonder what he could do and develop into given a chance to play an entire game. Said it all last year: he is obviously our best option at winning. This was put together by BSD, I think, in an effort to promote Hinton as the starter when the QB battle was taking place in preseason practice. Also wonder what all he could do if the coaches developed an O around him. Am I the only one who sees a young Russell Wilson?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rciwJWJm8V0

Vs. Tulane, why in the world are we running Wolford on 3rd and 2-4 yards to go instead of bringing Hinton in?

94 - any idea why Claude/Washington/Bachman appear to have more favor all of a sudden instead of Hines/Lewis/Wade? Lewis was suspended for the first half I get it, but we basically ignored 3 of our 4 best offensive weapons. And barely targeted our best (Serigne).

Well, at least they referred to Wake in the comments section of that Tulane article as "one of the worst teams in the country" and not THE worst team. There's that. :thumbsup:

I disagree whole heartedly. There were at least four passes to Claude and Lewis that were way underthrown by Wolford (the one that was 'overthrown' was not overthrown at all...Lewis stopped to come back to the ball and then sped up again to catch it...slipping right through his hands). Hines also got big separation twice on two drop back passes and was looked off for one of Wolford's terrible scrambles to the middle of the pile. And let's not forget the two to Scotty Washington...one sailed out of bounds four feet over his head and the other was thrown to the sideline out of bounds.

Our WR's are legit. Wolford and the O schemes just plain stink. Go Deacs

Scottie Washington dropped two balls, one long ball at the 5 yard line. First game jitters but that ball was just about perfectly placed and with touch. He didn't even get his hands up in the right position.

Back