• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ukraine is game to you?

I’m gonna use the term “rational actor” next time my wife and I argue.

Should we be involved in this war? Would your answer be different if we had not just been in Afghanistan and Iraq for the last 2 decades?

We never could have gotten as easily involved in this war - at least not quickly. Trying to amass the necessary forces to put boots on the ground in Ukraine against a force like Russia is a difficult riddle to solve in the shorter term.

As for your second question, I think the appetite to try and get involved would be higher for many Americans. It wouldn't change the practicalities of the problem though.

It’s been a little disgusting hearing how people are reacting to following a modern war through social media when there have been multiple wars being fought through the Middle East, Africa, and West Asia for the past 2 decades. The Yemeni Civil War has been waging for 8 fucking years, and the whole time America has been providing arms and military tech to the Saudis while they commit war crimes against the Iranian supported Houthis, whom we are literally starving and killing with blockades and sanctions.

Just curious what do you mean by this.

He's implying that people only care about war and violence now bc they are seeing videos and posts about it on social media. And that wars in yemen and other countries that are largely ignored by the media haven't inspired the same outrage and sadness despite people's homes and country being occupied.

There's also the implication that Americans have ignored wars where the US is the occupier and sees hypocrisy in caring now for the first time

He's implying that people only care about war and violence now bc they are seeing videos and posts about it on social media. And that wars in yemen and other countries that are largely ignored by the media haven't inspired the same outrage and sadness despite people's homes and country being occupied.

There's also the implication that Americans have ignored wars where the US is the occupier and sees hypocrisy in caring now for the first time

Gotcha. I know there tends to be neglect when there are wars far away that don't tend to affect Americans directly. This does feel different though. Putin has been telling us for quite some time about his wishes and I think there is a genuine fear this time this thing escalates. Doesn't feel the same as Chechnya, Georgia or even Crimea.

We’re going to have to get comfortable with an end that somehow preserves Putin/Russian pride

Mdmh has a hard time understanding that people have a different emotional response to different things.

I’ll take my commentary to the political chat thread. Just want to make clear that I am not criticizing the world wide sympathy and concern being shown for Ukraine, it’s deserved.

Back