• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

usic Thread

I mean, did the Avett Brothers ever have any cred besides being a chick band? Its not like these guys were the Stooges and then turned into Taylor Swift.

You guys are arguing about albums called "I and Love and You" and "Emotionalism". Lolz.

No, they never particularly got a ton of cred. I'm a NC homer fosho, and I've also passed the bottle around with them at a hippie festival; they are good people. Their concerts are a lot of fun. They've never taken themselves too seriously, which is nice.

This record is miserable. The past two albums have sucked the soul and fire out of their music. None more evident than the pathetic cut of Down With The Shine, which used to be a great tune. If I had to use one word, it would be "sterile"

Last edited:
In other news, both I and Love and You and Live: Vol. 3 are unavailable now on Spotify. Apparently they were taken off iTunes too. Whaa?

I don't disagree with rawarr, the new album is a little dull for my tastes. Still love Love and Die though.

And yeah I noticed that a few weeks ago ilovewfu. I used to listed to Live, Vol 3 all the time and then one day it disappeared. Its some bullshits.

The album has been out for a good while now, but this is just such a stellar review, I had to post it.

Frank Ocean - Channel Orange

This paragraph for me is just perfect music journalism:

"Channel Orange, this document of the underearth, is in content a kaleidoscopic view of life in the greater Los Angeles area (including Arkansas and Egypt) that skips as easily across class divisions as it does narrative perspectives. Thus “Sweet Life” is a second-person account of the lethargy of luxury while “Crack Rock” speaks to the much less privileged; “Bad Religion” is a deeply personal ballad; and “Super Rich Kids”—you get the idea. Channel Orange is less a vehicle for self-expression or a platform for social commentary than it is a work of bonafide literature: Ocean gives his characters life and form but lets their decisions shape their destinies, neither praising nor condemning them in the process. If Nas is defined by his Christ complex and Yeezy’s his own angel and devil all at once, Frank Ocean is the stoic demiurge that steps back from his creation and observes all with considered dispassion. He has none of Nas’s bitter sense of purpose and little of Kanye’s magnetic catastrophism, but makes up for them with a collected charisma all his own."

Brent Ables should simply do more reviews now that Lindsay Zoladz is at Pitchfork. Dude is such a brilliant writer, and without the typical CMG pretension.

Looking for good Beatles cover songs. I already have some standard stuff...

With a Little Help From My Friends (Joe Cocker)
While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Peter Frampton)
Oh! Darling (Florence and the Machine)
Across the Universe soundtrack
King's Singers (Beatles Connection)

What else is out there?

This is one of my favorite Beatles tunes, and this is also a great cover:

And speaking of St. Vincent, has anybody checked out this AWESOME collaboration between my boy David Byrne and St. Vincent streaming on NPR? It is pretty fucking good so far:

http://www.npr.org/2012/09/02/160262123/first-listen-david-byrne-st-vincent-love-this-giant

NICE, glad it's up. My gf and her bro are going to their show in NYC. So jealous. I wanted to go in Philly, but tix were $200 for GA. Can't swing that for one night, even for two of my favorite musicians. PUMPED to check out this whole thing tomorrow at work on nice headphones.

What is Girl Talk like in concert? What does that scene look like? That dude is coming through here later this month. Not planning to go, but I am curious.

Twas very fun two years ago at Lolla. Crowd is full of bros. Nonnys in every direction.

I know I'm at least a year late to the show (as always with music) but what are yall's thoughts on Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros? I kind of dig them.

I've told this before, but one of St. Vincent's crew asked me for coke once. Then I hung out with Dosh and the bassist for Andrew Bird who also plays sax for Gayngs. I later found out that we had friends in common, two smoking hot beautiful amazing Minnesota cousins, one of whom was half of the inspiration for the mix tape I asked Townie to make (I think) and is still the only girl with whom I've had that love at first sight electric eyeballs latch laser beam moment.

Anyway, you can count on me to tell my St. Vincent coke story any time she comes up. I'm just going to throw that out there. Beware mentioning Times New Viking, because I will recycle that shit too.

The XX's new album up on NPR. It's really good.

Reviews also up for Animal Collective's new album.

I know I'm at least a year late to the show (as always with music) but what are yall's thoughts on Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros? I kind of dig them.

Their last 2009 album, Up From Below is classic, even though it has been played a gazillion times. I think their new album, Here is underrated. Very solid, imo. I saw them live a few months ago and while they weren't super sharp, they were very good. The chick, Jade Castrinos, is a singular talent. Defs worth $25 to check out. I think they are swinging back through the east coast, Asheville and maybe somewhere else close, this fall.

Did anyone go to Jay-Z's Made in America Festival? I heard they closed the show with Jay-Z performing 99 problems with Pearl Jam

I was there the night before. Kinda sad I missed Sunday, because I do want to see Pearl Jam, and you add in Jay-Z and that's almost certainly a once in a lifetime opportunity. I will say that for the first year the festival was run, it was extremely well put together. Perfect sound, great vendors, timing all perfect, cool venue, etc. Would go again.

Coexist is here, and it's awesome.

I really like this album.

Ehhhh, I dunno. Ive had it for a few weeks, but its left me a little flat. Lots of repeated musical tropes from the first album, like the three ascending guitar notes over beats (like in Heart Skipped a Beat).

I do like how in this album Jamie uses more aggressive beats on a few of the songs. Those are the ones that sound more interesting to me. It was never going to measure up to the first album, which was a classic, but for me this one only has 2-3 tracks on par with the debut.

Hopefully we will get some Jamie remixes or B-sides that mix things up.

Back