• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

USMNT for 2018 WC

I'm hoping he sees spot minutes for your Irons next season.

Feel like Ive hearing he's the next American primed for a breakout for about 3 years now. Has he gotten any first team action for West Ham yet?

Not really -- maybe an appearance in that Man City blowout in the cup, but I've already repressed that match in my mind and won't revisit it. He looks good against youth team competition and comfortable in the reserves, but nothing spectacular. I just like his game. Hope he can have a big season.

Did the World Cup help or hurt our ranking? What are the chances we get a top 8 seed in 2018(assuming Fifa doesn't change the rules like they always do)

Also, do other countries use as many players trying to gain citizenship as the US does? And is our citizenship process(5 years after green card) harder than other countries? Do other countries offer rapid citizenship for special reasons(athletes?)

Did the World Cup help or hurt our ranking? What are the chances we get a top 8 seed in 2018(assuming Fifa doesn't change the rules like they always do)

I assume it's way too early to tell.
One thing not in our favor is that I'd assume host Russia would be very unlikely to be seeded were they not hosting, yet they get the seed in Group A, so that Top 8 is really a Top 7.

Also, do other countries use as many players trying to gain citizenship as the US does? And is our citizenship process(5 years after green card) harder than other countries? Do other countries offer rapid citizenship for special reasons(athletes?)

Giuseppe Rossi is an America-born and raised citizen, but because his grandfather is Italian, he can play for Italy. (Someone correct me if I have details wrong.)
I'm actually surprised the standards for eligibility aren't more standardized across nations.

Giuseppe Rossi is an America-born and raised citizen, but because his grandfather is Italian, he can play for Italy. (Someone correct me if I have details wrong.)
I'm actually surprised the standards for eligibility aren't more standardized across nations.

Judas was a first generation American. His parents are both Italians.

Both Rossi's parents are Italian I believe. It would be same as Zelalem representing Ethiopia (which he could do)

Probably hurt since we went 1-1-2, I don't think the FIFA rankings care that you made it out of your group, but I could be wrong. Mexico and Costa Rica doing well will give us a little boost since we beat them last year.

We have a great shot at being seeded in 2018. We're already flirting with the top 10, and we have 4 tournaments between now and 2018 as well as another full WCQ campaign to bolster our position.

2015 Gold Cup
2016 Copa America
2017 Gold Cup
2017 Confed Cup (if we qualify)

The opportunities are definitely there for a seed in Russia.

FIFA rankings are really stupid -For our ranking for 2018 seeding a friendly in Nov 2017 will influence the rankings more than these 2014 World Cup games or 2015 Gold Cup games

The confederation multipliers screw us pretty bad too. If we beat El Salvador or some other turd, we get less credit for it than if a euro team beats one of their similarly ranked turds like Estonia (guessing, no idea where they are ranked, just assuming not highly). That alone puts us a step behind.

The confederation multipliers screw us pretty bad too. If we beat El Salvador or some other turd, we get less credit for it than if a euro team beats one of their similarly ranked turds like Estonia (guessing, no idea where they are ranked, just assuming not highly). That alone puts us a step behind.

Europe has half of the quarterfinalists in the World Cup and it isn't even on their continent. There is a reason they are ranked so high consistently.

Don't forget Andorra and the Faroe Islands

Don't forget Andorra and the Faroe Islands

Then CONCACAF should reorganize how they do the qualification process. UEFA has 53 national members to their confederation (Gibraltar just added recently) and they do lots of big groups for their WC spots. Top your group... go to World Cup. Come in 2nd? Playoff to see if you can qualify (for the most part).

CONCACAF has 41 national members to their confederation. What is stopping them from doing something similar? Like... bottom 21 nations do a double round-robin of 3 groups of 7. Top team advances. That leaves two groups of 8 and 1 group of 7 for the 3 auto-spots and the 3 2nd place teams do a double round-robin for the half spot to play against Oceania, or whatever confederation it is next time.

All these stages that CONCACAF currently do are just silly. Home and home... then group of 4... then another group of 4.... then finally a group of 6.

It would be wild if William Yarbrough was Mexico's keeper in Russia or Qatar. The most American looking of kids playing between the sticks for the hated El Tri.

Then CONCACAF should reorganize how they do the qualification process. UEFA has 53 national members to their confederation (Gibraltar just added recently) and they do lots of big groups for their WC spots. Top your group... go to World Cup. Come in 2nd? Playoff to see if you can qualify (for the most part).

CONCACAF has 41 national members to their confederation. What is stopping them from doing something similar? Like... bottom 21 nations do a double round-robin of 3 groups of 7. Top team advances. That leaves two groups of 8 and 1 group of 7 for the 3 auto-spots and the 3 2nd place teams do a double round-robin for the half spot to play against Oceania, or whatever confederation it is next time.

All these stages that CONCACAF currently do are just silly. Home and home... then group of 4... then another group of 4.... then finally a group of 6.

It's early. How would this help the multiplier problem?

I agree with this. Have thought CONCACAFs qualifying process was stupid for a while now

Back