• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball

The weakness of the academic and athletic administration filters down to the coaches, and thence to the players. It's an institutional problem. Always has been, despite [very] brief flourishes of competency.

So how does that explain how almost half of all the teams we field at Wake are in the top 25 this season?

Does the futility of Hatch and Wellman only impact revenue sports? BOLD STRATEGY.

I've wondered this for a while. For football, baseball, and our basketball programs...can we not afford to hire a sports psychologist to speak to our players/coaches?

Or is it a case of our coaches ego won't allow it?

I am speaking from the situation several years ago, but I was told by someone involved that Wellman felt that fell under the responsibilities of the coach. Since then, the department of Family Medicine has hired someone with expertise and interest in "sports psychology". I am not sure how much the athletic department utilizes her.

Between being a WF fan and an Atlanta Braves fan, it's very difficult to like baseball right now. I hope I don't jinx my nephew's Little League travel ball team. :tear:

So how does that explain how almost half of all the teams we field at Wake are in the top 25 this season?

Does the futility of Hatch and Wellman only impact revenue sports? BOLD STRATEGY.

Yes? I don't see why you think that's a strange question.

Revenue sports (basketball and football) are what matter to 99% of fans and alums. Sorry. They just are.

We suck at both. Call it futility or incompetence. Both apply equally well.

Yes? I don't see why you think that's a strange question.

Right. We can do well at sports that aren't thought about and don't connote institutional strength. For those that do, FB, MBB and to a lesser extent Baseball, we are perennial losers now. At an institutional level we're inept at competing in sports that matter a lot to everyone else.

Big opportunity for the Deacs this weekend. Wake is currently #59 in the RPI and FSU is #6. First pitch is tonight at 6 PM at Wake.

Right. We can do well at sports that aren't thought about and don't connote institutional strength. For those that do, FB, MBB and to a lesser extent Baseball, we are perennial losers now. At an institutional level we're inept at competing in sports that matter a lot to everyone else.

I guess I'm confused about what you are saying?

You think we are bad at these sports because we are "institutionally weak" (whatever that means), or you think that we are bad because they "matter to everyone else" (and therefore are better at running them because they care)?

Not going to help that the Dash kicked off it's home season last night in front of 6k. They're home this weekend too.

Last night:

CgF1rs9W8AAfvjU.jpg

I call bullshit on this stat. List the teams.

I call bullshit on this stat. List the teams.

I don't know about half, but men's soccer made the elite eight of NCAAs as the #1 overall seed, men's and women's tennis are both very good right now, men's golf is pretty solid right now (ranked I think but not sure) and women's field hockey was pretty highly ranked in the NCAA tourney (although they got upset pretty early if Im remembering correctly).

Not to bag on those sports because I think they all did a great job for Wake Forest, but about half the ACC fields a field hockey team and men's soccer benefits greatly from the fact that the SEC doesn't play men's soccer.

Also not bagging at all on the sports, but take a look again:

Soccer
Tennis
Golf
Field Hockey

All are very "preppy" sports.

Very easy to get a more "preppy" kid to come to Wake.

You don't find too many preppy football or basketball players.

*Note: this IS NOT an excuse for either of those two programs, rather more shedding light why the other sports have an easier path to doing well.

Big opportunity for the Deacs this weekend. Wake is currently #59 in the RPI and FSU is #6. First pitch is tonight at 6 PM at Wake.

We will win one game. We will be up in another game late but we will crap in our pants at winning time and blow it, We will lose one game big.

We will win one game. We will be up in another game late but we will crap in our pants at winning time and blow it, We will lose one game big.

Sure hope that you're right.... that we win one game against #5 F$U and don't get swept. :eek:hnoes:

Back