• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball

The real question: which bench player who could play shortstop is Rake Forest related to Freedman or Mueller? I'll take Freedman since he's been at Wake longer and it matches up better with the timing of Rake's first post here.

3-3 should have us in. 4-2 might get us a top 6 seed.

The latest Baseball America Field of 64 projections has Wake as the No. 3 seed in the Columbia SC regional. Let's hope they don't botch it in Blacksburg.

Last edited:
D1Baseball.com also just came out with their field of 64 projections and has Wake as the 3 seed in the Starkville MS regional with Miss St. Alabama St. and Louisiana-Lafayette.

D1Baseball.com also just came out with their field of 64 projections and has Wake as the 3 seed in the Starkville MS regional with Miss St. Alabama St. and Louisiana-Lafayette.

That would be a ridiculous region for all four teams involved.

Yeah they're both tough. I also read that as South Alabama at first rather than Alabama State which changes the calculus a lot. Both regions would have three top 30 teams in it.

Yet another projection -- this one from College Baseball Daily has Wake in the Coastal Carolina regional along with Washington and New Mexico. That's a good sign that three major outlets have the Deacs in the field, but again if they don't tighten up the defense its going to be tough.

Wake pitching is not very deep and most of the arms they have are guys who put balls in play and not so much strikeout guys, so defense is so important. And like the RivalsLes said the other day, the Deacs have a much better record when they play error free.

Last night's work from those bullpen guys especially Garrett Kelly, Griffin Roberts and Chris Farish was promising. All three of those guys have great stuff and could be dominant strikeout-type pitchers, but the point is that all three of them have struggled to throw strikes. So when they can't throw strikes the coaches have to go to guys who do throw strikes, and for the most part the ones who do in the Wake pen are not overpowering, which means they will get hit, which means there is an obvious need for strong defense, especially at the key positions.

I don't think it's particularly "tough" to make the field at this juncture. 4-3 almost assuredly gets Wake in (and 3-4 is probably close as long as we get into the ACCT). We don't want to tempt fate especially seeing what happened two or three years ago when everyone had us in and we were snubbed on the bubble, but our remaining games are three on the road against the 191st team in the RPI (Wake is 12-1 against teams 150+ in the RPI, including 3-0 in road games), an OOC road game against the 77th best team (Wake is 17-6 overall against teams outside the top 50 in RPI) and three home games against the 2nd best team (Wake has only lost one home conference series all year - against 8th Clemson two months ago and took 5 of 6 against FSU/UNC in the last month).

TLDR: If Wake just plays like they have all year they should be in the NCAAs.

I agree. But if we are not playing well in big games, then this is where we are. Hopefully, the team comes together and learns how to win when it matters most.

I don't see this team making a big run. I don't think we have the pitching depth and we aren't the greatest fielding team, especially on the road. Making the big dance would be nice.

Just go 4-3 and you're in. Take 2-3 vs VT, win midweek game, and 1 vs the Cards. Anywhere else this is a can of corn.

Aiello did his 2 HRs opening night and then absolute nothing ever since. Maybe because he was a high school all american he gets to play but look at the numbers. Yes he's a freshman but at most programs if a freshman did this poorly he would sit down. Not at Wake. Aiello is not living up to hype. .220 batting average? 50-plus strikeouts? Aaron Smith was a HS all american too. He pitched in that UA all american game at Wrigley Field 4-5 years ago. Go ahead and look up his career stats at Wake. And while I'm at it what is the deal with Maronpot? Another guy who plays a lot no matter how terrible his numbers are. He's hitting around .170. When you see stuff like certain guys getting to be in the lineup everyday no matter how bad they have been in terms of production it has to make you think winning isn't a priority at Wake.

Nice reverse jinx, Rake. Maronpot and Aiello both with home runs so far tonight for Wake.

Back