• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball

If Tech beats BC one more time we're in no matter what it seems. If we lost out we needed two of four things to happen and two of them are: State beats UNC at least once (already done - State won 6-4 last night) and GT wins at least 2 of 3 against BC.

If Tech beats BC one more time we're in no matter what it seems. If we lost out we needed two of four things to happen and two of them are: State beats UNC at least once (already done - State won 6-4 last night) and GT wins at least 2 of 3 against BC.

State needs to beat unc one more time for that scenario to work

Nothing like limping into the field of 10! Ahh, it's great to be a Deac.

It would also be nice to avoid playing Duke in the play-in game. While we took two of three earlier in the season, Duke is 21-8 since they dropped the series to Wake including 12-4 over the last 16 games.

State needs to beat unc one more time for that scenario to work

I don't think so:

Win zero and two of the four following situations are met:

1. Pitt wins exactly 2/3 over Duke (Duke won game one)
2. Georgia Tech wins at least 2/3 OR Boston College wins 3/3 (Tech won game one)
3. NC State wins at least 1/3 over North Carolina (already happened)
4. Clemson wins at least 2/3 over Notre Dame (Clemson won game one)

So Wake is in if they win a game, if Clemson wins a game, or if Georgia Tech wins a game.

May be limping in terms of having lost three in a row, but Louisville has been dominant this year. They swept State a couple weekends ago (who is 5th in the RPI) and have won 13 of their last 14 games as a top 2 team in the nation. I don't think getting swept by Louisville is THAT big a deal but it obviously isn't best case.

May be limping in terms of having lost three in a row, but Louisville has been dominant this year. They swept State a couple weekends ago (who is 5th in the RPI) and have won 13 of their last 14 games as a top 2 team in the nation. I don't think getting swept by Louisville is THAT big a deal but it obviously isn't best case.

Louisville is really damn good. State may be really high in the RPI but I really don't think we are that good. Top 20 team and we will hopefully win our regional but I just don't think this team has the horses to make it to Omaha. No dominant starters but a really good and deep bullpen. ACC and SEC are loaded

BC got lucky their last two games against FSU got rained out. If they had lost either Wake would've already clinched an ACCT berth.

Huh? Wake is 12-5 in the last 17 games, and playing maybe the best team in the country who is 14-1 in their last 15 games (including 9 wins over top 16 RPI teams).

Louisville is really damn good. State may be really high in the RPI but I really don't think we are that good. Top 20 team and we will hopefully win our regional but I just don't think this team has the horses to make it to Omaha. No dominant starters but a really good and deep bullpen. ACC and SEC are loaded

Yep. Hopefully Wake gets viewed favorably as an ACC team even if we lose out to Louisville and have a losing ACC record. I believe Wake was around 35th in the RPI and had 33 wins a few years ago when they got left out of the tournament (IMO inexplicably). Hoping that doesn't happen again.

This is the Wake fan in me, but the good news is that we can't really have "bad losses" at this point due to who we would play. Wake has the worst RPI of the ten teams currently in the ACC Tournament and so we're not likely to drop out of the top 35 in RPI even if we lose out, get into the tournament, and lose on Tuesday. Warren Nolan projects us to lose the last two to Louisville and our projection for RPI is 31 so that's fine as a floor.

Huh? Wake is 12-5 in the last 17 games, and playing maybe the best team in the country who is 14-1 in their last 15 games (including 9 wins over top 16 RPI teams).

Sure, and I'm not undermining our strong season. This doesn't change the fact that we put ourselves in a position to need help from other scenarios, in the final week of the regular season, just to make our conference tourney. This is the best season we've had in what, a decade?

Sure, and I'm not undermining our strong season. This doesn't change the fact that we put ourselves in a position to need help from other scenarios, in the final week of the regular season, just to make our conference tourney. This is the best season we've had in what, a decade?

Sure ACC is just loaded though. 10 top 30 teams in the RPI. Also Wake has their destiny in their own hands, win one of the final three (now two) games of the season at home and you're in the ACCT and almost certainly in the NCAAT as well. It's not like we need some crazy things to go our way from out of town to get in. Just win baby. Over half the conference was still at risk of not making the ACCT entering this weekend so it's not like Wake is really an outlier in that regard.

Yeah, I agree. Louisville is the tits this season. Just wished we hadn't laid an egg against State, also wish we could've grabbed one more vs Klempson. Oh well, tis what is tis.

Yeah, I agree. Louisville is the tits this season. Just wished we hadn't laid an egg against State, also wish we could've grabbed one more vs Klempson. Oh well, tis what is tis.

Yeah, unfortunate Craig was injured for that 10 day stretch (four games against Clemson and UVA - all losses, 2-0 against those teams with him in the lineup).

Absolutely. The bad news is that I think Wake had their best shot to get a win with Dunshee on the mound. If we're anywhere close today I hope we throw the kitchen sink at the Cards trying to get the win.

I believe that the Cards are the best team in the ACC and the country. State has streaky bats but they were shut down but Louisville when they got swept. This is basically our season, win and we are in.

I don't think so:

Win zero and two of the four following situations are met:

1. Pitt wins exactly 2/3 over Duke (Duke won game one)
2. Georgia Tech wins at least 2/3 OR Boston College wins 3/3 (Tech won game one)
3. NC State wins at least 1/3 over North Carolina (already happened)
4. Clemson wins at least 2/3 over Notre Dame (Clemson won game one)

So Wake is in if they win a game, if Clemson wins a game, or if Georgia Tech wins a game.

I think the bolded statement above was incorrect. If Carolina wins the last 2 vs State, they would finish 14-16. If we lose the remaining 2 vs Louisville, we finish 13-17. Our tiebreaker advantage vs Carolina would become moot. So I still think for us to clinch at least 10th, it would help if State takes 1 of their remaining 2 games against the Tarheels.

I think the bolded statement above was incorrect. If Carolina wins the last 2 vs State, they would finish 14-16. If we lose the remaining 2 vs Louisville, we finish 13-17. Our tiebreaker advantage vs Carolina would become moot. So I still think for us to clinch at least 10th, it would help if State takes 1 of their remaining 2 games against the Tarheels.

Miami 20-6 .769
Louisville 20-8 .714
Florida State 15-9 .625
Virginia 17-11 .607
N.C. State 14-12 .538
Clemson 14-14 .500
------------------------
Georgia Tech 13-14 .481
Wake Forest 13-15 .464
Duke 13-15 .464
UNC 12-16 .429
------------------------
Notre Dame 11-15 .423
Boston College 11-15 .423
Pittsburgh 10-17 .370
Virginia Tech 6-21 .214

Based on the standings, I don't think the UNC tiebreaker even matters. If they pass us, we still would need ND or BC to finish in front of us for us to miss. We're two games up on each so if Clemson beats ND then we're in (ND has the tiebreaker over us) and if GT beats BC once then we're in (BC also has the tiebreaker over us).

Back