• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball

I agree, and UNC's RPI being so high I would think would be a huge help to Wake at this point considering the regular-season sweep.

Here's the response I got just now on Twitter from a writer with Baseball America: "Brackets are Tuesday for us. RPI is high enough where Deacs *could* get in without it, but I'd strongly encourage them to win."

I responded by saying I'd be confident that Wake would make field with a win Tuesday and then one win in pool play, and he said: "Yeah. Hard to say with a ton of confidence right now that they'd make it in without that. Better to be safe than sorry."

FWIW, if WF beats Duke, they then advance to pool play to play games against L'ville, UVA and Clemson, and I assume WF will have burned Dunshee and probably Craig to get to pool play. So, there is a decent chance even with a win tomorrow, WF is looking at a losing 6 out 7 to finish the season (granted the losses would all be to very strong teams).

FWIW, if WF beats Duke, they then advance to pool play to play games against L'ville, UVA and Clemson, and I assume WF will have burned Dunshee and probably Craig to get to pool play. So, there is a decent chance even with a win tomorrow, WF is looking at a losing 6 out 7 to finish the season (granted the losses would all be to very strong teams).

The 3rd game in pool play would be Sat, right? Maybe Dunshee could go again. Don't know how well he'd do on short rest, though.

I doubt Dunshee would go Saturday, but Wake would have Thursday off. Sellers typically goes back-to-back days regularly from the pen, though Craig does not. The day off in the middle of the week works out well for the Deacs, if they get to that point.

Would feel much better about the NCAAT bid with a win in the ACCT play-in game and not going in on a 4 game losing skid, but dook is going to be a tough out on their home field against their deep pitching staff.

Let's get this one tomorrow! :thumbsup:

GO DEACS!!

why is the ACCT being played on Duke's campus? Why not at least the Durham Bulls field or some other minor league field in the Triangle (or Charlotte) similar to the last few years in Greensboro?

It's being played at DBAP but Duke has played most of their home games there.

Good point about the non-revenue sports Phan, just think if it's going to be offered up as a "neutral" field then it's odd that one of the teams plays most of their home games there.

Off of the top of my head: soccer, tennis, cross country, field hockey, track and field, swimming and diving, volleyball, and wrestling are all hosted at home sites by institutions.

If we are left out of the tournament this year, we would have like 3 of the lowest 15 or so RPIs to ever be excluded.

http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-announces-2016-baseball-season-honors

Craig and Mondou make First Team All-ACC, Fairchild made second, and Sheets made third. Seth Beer from Clemson won player of the year (and freshman of the year) but Craig was literally the same or better in every single "normal" batting statistic and played six fewer games. Craig had a better average, OBP, slugging percentage, and OPS, and had two more RBI's while they tied in home runs.

http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-announces-2016-baseball-season-honors

Craig and Mondou make First Team All-ACC, Fairchild made second, and Sheets made third. Seth Beer from Clemson won player of the year (and freshman of the year) but Craig was literally the same or better in every single "normal" batting statistic and played six fewer games. Craig had a better average, OBP, slugging percentage, and OPS, and had two more RBI's while they tied in home runs.

Really odd decision to give Beer the ACC POY nod over Craig because not only did Craig have (slightly) better offensive numbers, but Craig was the best reliever on WF's staff, pitching in 22 games, going 2-0 with a 1.99 ERA and 6 saves - many in key situations for the Deacs. Beer did not pitch for Clemson. Recognize that Clemson had a better ACC record than WF, but not enough to make up for the fact that Craig was significantly more valuable to WF than Beer was to Clemson.

Really odd decision to give Beer the ACC POY nod over Craig because not only did Craig have (slightly) better offensive numbers, but Craig was the best reliever on WF's staff, pitching in 22 games, going 2-0 with a 1.99 ERA and 6 saves - many in key situations for the Deacs. Beer did not pitch for Clemson. Recognize that Clemson had a better ACC record than WF, but not enough to make up for the fact that Craig was significantly more valuable to WF than Beer was to Clemson.

It's not a Most Valuable Player award. It's Player of the Year. Big difference. Craig was equally if not more valuable to the Deacs than Beer was to Clemson. But Seth Beer is the best player in the ACC.

Based on what? Raw talent and potential or are we taking into consideration their statistics over the course of the year?

It's not a Most Valuable Player award. It's Player of the Year. Big difference. Craig was equally if not more valuable to the Deacs than Beer was to Clemson. But Seth Beer is the best player in the ACC.

Yes, I get it that it's POY, not MVP. Offensively, the stats confirm that either Craig was better than Beer or worst case, it was a dead heat; add in the fact that Craig was WF's most effective pitcher out of the bullpen, and not sure how anyone can rationally say "Beer was the best player" as Craig was also an outstanding pitcher in addition to being the best offensive player. If you are aware of some defensive metric that graded Beer out as the best defensive OF in the ACC, share it. Otherwise, Craig's work as a pitcher should have pushed him ahead of Beer.

I would be curious to know how many times Beer walked as compared to Craig. While all those walks help Craig's OBP, it takes the bat out of his hands. He had to have the most walks in the conference, if not the nation.

I have been pondering our lineup quite a bit lately. It seems to me that we should move Mondou to lead off and everyone else up a spot at least through Sheets. That would allow several more ABs for both Craig and Sheets over the course of a season and we certainly were one AB away from winning quite a few games.

I would be curious to know how many times Beer walked as compared to Craig. While all those walks help Craig's OBP, it takes the bat out of his hands. He had to have the most walks in the conference, if not the nation.

OBP is extremely important to winning ballgames.

Back