• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake/duke Game Thread

I feel like that 1995 team wins the national title if Randolph had two working shoulders. Those later Duncan teams had chemistry issues, but that 1995 team had a better shot than 2005. 2005 was peaked too early.

Was '95 the year we lost to Big Country? Randolph had the flu, I think. Definitely not 100%. If he had been we definitely make the final 4. That is where the luck comes in.

Was '95 the year we lost to Big Country? Randolph had the flu, I think. Definitely not 100%. If he had been we definitely make the final 4. That is where the luck comes in.

That was the one. Randolph is like the Wake Forest Braveheart and they were the English. I still hate that school.

Tacy was over the hill and Wake made the right decision there. and bkf is a pathetic old man.

Tacy was over the hill and Wake made the right decision there. and bkf is a pathetic old man.

Carl Tacy was 52 years old when he resigned.

BKF is a pathetic and sad old man. Anyone who takes such pride in being negative and has such strange obsessions deserves our sympathy and even our pity.

First of all, I don't think any of the fans did anything to any coach.
Second of all, let it go, dude, let it go. Or seek help.

WF never paid Carl Tacy. I'd bet he never made more than $60-$70K/year, if that. They didn't give him an adequate staff, nor an adequate recruiting budget. And even in spite of all of that he was working his ass to find and develop players like Rod Griffin, Anthony Teachey, Cal Stamp, Mike Parrish, Delaney Rudd, Skip Brown, Frank Johnson, Leroy McDonald, Danny Young, Guy Morgan, Jim Johnstone and others to get WF into the top 5 in the nation and become the only coach in WF history to take two completely different sets of players to the Elite Eight....but WF never built a decent place for his teams to play. He had to either play in (and show potential recruits) a rathole barn or drive 26 miles to another county to have a decent place to play.

And to make things worse, the ACC was extremely competitive during that time. While Carl was at WF every team in the ACC made at least one Elite Eight except Maryland...and they made three Sweet Sixteens. WF fans, though, neither appreciated what he had done nor the unbelievable obstacles he had to overcome to accomplish what he had managed to do against all odds. The AD went behind his back and undermined the support he had from his team by meeting secretly with trouble-maker players like John Toms.

Finally, after not being paid and having to put up with all the crap that he had to endure, he decided that it wasn't worth it anymore and walked away at the age of only 52. WF and all its fans should be forever ashamed for the disgraceful way in which Carl Tacy was treated after everything he had done for them. I know that I will never forget or forgive it.

WF never paid Carl Tacy. I'd bet he never made more than $60-$70K/year, if that. They didn't give him an adequate staff, nor an adequate recruiting budget. And even in spite of all of that he was working his ass to find and develop players like Rod Griffin, Anthony Teachey, Cal Stamp, Mike Parrish, Delaney Rudd, Skip Brown, Frank Johnson, Leroy McDonald, Danny Young, Guy Morgan, Jim Johnstone and others to get WF into the top 5 in the nation and become the only coach in WF history to take two completely different sets of players to the Elite Eight....but WF never built a decent place for his teams to play. He had to either play in (and show potential recruits) a rathole barn or drive 26 miles to another county to have a decent place to play.

And to make things worse, the ACC was extremely competitive during that time. While Carl was at WF every team in the ACC made at least one Elite Eight except Maryland...and they made three Sweet Sixteens. WF fans, though, neither appreciated what he had done nor the unbelievable obstacles he had to overcome to accomplish what he had managed to do against all odds. The AD went behind his back and undermined the support he had from his team by meeting secretly with trouble-maker players like John Toms.

Finally, after not being paid and having to put up with all the crap that he had to endure, he decided that it wasn't worth it anymore and walked away at the age of only 52. WF and all its fans should be forever ashamed for the disgraceful way in which Carl Tacy was treated after everything he had done for them. I know that I will never forget or forgive it.

I miss that old rathole barn. Plus, that guy was quite the Yogurtsmith.

Much like how the other objects of your obsessions have surely gotten over their respective slights, I'm sure Tacy let it go a long time ago. You might be the first social justice warrior, condescendingly crusading for other peoples' problems.

On the bright side, as much as Wake has skillfully avoided the Final Four despite having an all-time Great and first ballot HOFer on the roster, the inverse is true for Wake football. Think of all the talent that has come through the ACC football championship desert that is the Triangle. Heels will have #1 QB taken and couldn't beat State or Dook. State has four starting QBS in two years, can't win anything that counts. There's always 2006, Deacs.

Carl Tacy was 52 years old when he resigned.

BKF is a pathetic and sad old man. Anyone who takes such pride in being negative and has such strange obsessions deserves our sympathy and even our pity.

Tacy had lost his fire. Didn't care about putting in the effort to recruiting that would be required to compete in the ACC. Ran a TCBY after laaving Wake.

Gentleman Carl roamed the sidelines during my time at MSD- the mid '80's Final 8 run was the bomb!

Great times! :)

Maybe because Like GDO, Carl Tacy also beat Dook 9 straight times. Just saying

Gentleman Carl roamed the sidelines during my time at MSD- the mid '80's Final 8 run was the bomb!

Great times! :)

After the 1962 Final Four team, WF didn't make the post-season for the next 15 years until Carl Tacy took them to the Elite Eight in 1977. During period from 1975 thru 1984 he had WF ranked in 8 of the 10 years....as high as 3rd, 4th, 5th & 8th in four of those years. From 1981 thru 1984 he won 20+ games and had WF ranked every year, culminating with his 2nd Elite Eight in 1984. And you guys like beating Dean Smith & Carolina, don't you? Well, Carl Tacy beat 10.....count 'em, 10.....nationally ranked Carolina teams, including twice in Big Four Championship games, twice in the ACC Tournament and three times in Chapel Hill...including 1982 when they were ranked #1 in the nation and won the NCAA Championship.

And as I said, they never paid Carl Tacy squat, never appreciated what he accomplished and made him play in a barn. Now they are buying coliseums and paying guys like [Redacted] & Manning millions of dollars a year to finish 11th or worse in the conference.

Sounds like Tacy was a good dude who deserved more than WF gave him. He may even be deserving of his own thread.

'Minor' detail but just exactly what month did he decide to walk away in? April? or later when all the coaches were signed and had little options? i.e. the beginning of the Staak era.

'Minor' detail but just exactly what month did he decide to walk away in? April? or later when all the coaches were signed and had little options? i.e. the beginning of the Staak era.

July 15, 1985

JUL 15 - 1985 38:10:03 Carl Tacy resigned suddenly as Wake Forest basketball coach, which greatly upset me; I cancelled my Deacon Club membership immediately
JUL 17 - 1985 38:10:05 Sent a letter to Deacon Club Director Cook Griffin ending my membership in the Deacon Club after Carl Tacy's resignation as basketball coach

https://news.google.ca/newspapers?id=t8ERAAAAIBAJ&sjid=tukDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6870,79496&dq=carl-tacy&hl=en

The program was in turmoil Tacy had just let go of his top two assistants (including the Dinger wakes current color basketball guy)with all the player rumblings that had become public knowledge of Tacy being uncommunicative and aloof it was going to be an ugly situation where he was going to be fired soon anyway. Recruiting was really becoming the lifeblood of college basketball and he didn't want to actually be involved in recruiting.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back