• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake/duke Game Thread

I don't really like to get too involved with Tacy discussions, but for the young folks trying to figure out which of the old guys to believe, ChrisL's assessment is much closer to reality than BKF's. Though his W/L record didn't merit dismissal, he had "lost the room" for players, recruits, other members of the athletic department (I'm not just talking Hooks here) and many boosters. One other factor working against him was that there was an arms race of sorts for energetic young coaches. GT, NCSU and Duke had all hired up and comers that had already delivered Ws on the court and buzz off of it. Staak was supposed to be that guy, but... swing and a miss.

I don't really like to get too involved with Tacy discussions, but for the young folks trying to figure out which of the old guys to believe, ChrisL's assessment is much closer to reality than BKF's. Though his W/L record didn't merit dismissal, he had "lost the room" for players, recruits, other members of the athletic department (I'm not just talking Hooks here) and many boosters. One other factor working against him was that there was an arms race of sorts for energetic young coaches. GT, NCSU and Duke had all hired up and comers that had already delivered Ws on the court and buzz off of it. Staak was supposed to be that guy, but... swing and a miss.

That's unnecessary and gratuitous.

July 15, 1985

JUL 15 - 1985 38:10:03 Carl Tacy resigned suddenly as Wake Forest basketball coach, which greatly upset me; I cancelled my Deacon Club membership immediately
JUL 17 - 1985 38:10:05 Sent a letter to Deacon Club Director Cook Griffin ending my membership in the Deacon Club after Carl Tacy's resignation as basketball coach

https://news.google.ca/newspapers?id=t8ERAAAAIBAJ&sjid=tukDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6870,79496&dq=carl-tacy&hl=en

When during this timeline did you don the Carolina sweatshirt?

Staak delivered plenty of buzz at the Tavern in Reynolda Village. Hey Now!

When during this timeline did you don the Carolina sweatshirt?

At the WF-Carolina football game that fall. October 12, 1985. It had been about three months and I was still as pissed off as I was the day it happened. Still am, for that matter.

Chris was in the 8th or 9th grade when the stuff with John Toms went down in Atlanta in 1983. I was a double-scholarship sponsor donating $5,000/year to the DC since 1975 (which would be about $23,000/year in today's dollars). I saw what was going on during that time.

11th grade but my dad was a prominent DC member at the time. Plus I don't engage in delusional hero worship that clouds my judgement.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

At the WF-Carolina football game that fall. October 12, 1985. It had been about three months and I was still as pissed off as I was the day it happened. Still am, for that matter.

Alright that's just not healthy.

You have been holding a grudge against a University for 5 years longer than I have been alive.

Good enough for second place in all-time grudge holding, right behind God, who is still holding humanity responsible for Adam and Eve eating an apple X many years ago.

You have been holding a grudge against a University for 5 years longer than I have been alive.

Good enough for second place in all-time grudge holding, right behind God, who is still holding humanity responsible for Adam and Eve eating an apple X many years ago.

Roger Waters left Pink Floyd in 1985 but reunited with them at Live 8 in 2005 and has played with David Gilmour since. Apparently that grudge is not as bitter as bkf's.

Good enough for second place in all

But certainly not quite good enough for the Harry Osborn vs Spiderman grudge that has been going on quite a bit longer mind you! I mean you mix in drugs, the death of your father, a girl and a spider, it can be too much to overcome.

Tacy was losing his team during his last year. The John Toms situation happened at CLEMSON when a freshman took Toms' foul shots (Steve Warden ?). Todd May broke his foot during the OGB scrimmage in Reynolds Gym. Mike Scott left school and transferred to Ky. Mark Cline wasn't as good as expected. Mugsy graduated at the only recruits on the way were Arthur Larkin and Rod Watson. The team was going to suck so Tacy walked away.
Neil Mcgeachy told me once that Tacy said nothing during the timeout when WF had the ball at halfcourt with 2 seconds left , down 1, against Memphis St and Keith lee in the NCAA second round. A short pass was made to Danny Young, who heaved it from near midcourt. No play had been called. It was time for Tacy to go.

Tacy was losing his team during his last year. The John Toms situation happened at CLEMSON when a freshman took Toms' foul shots (Steve Warden ?). Todd May broke his foot during the OGB scrimmage in Reynolds Gym. Mike Scott left school and transferred to Ky. Mark Cline wasn't as good as expected. Mugsy graduated at the only recruits on the way were Arthur Larkin and Rod Watson. The team was going to suck so Tacy walked away.
Neil Mcgeachy told me once that Tacy said nothing during the timeout when WF had the ball at halfcourt with 2 seconds left , down 1, against Memphis St and Keith lee in the NCAA second round. A short pass was made to Danny Young, who heaved it from near midcourt. No play had been called. It was time for Tacy to go.

Warden took the foul shots for Toms against Georgia Tech in Atlanta....and it was in 1983, two years before Tacy's last year in 1985. And Muggsy still had two years left when Tacy left after the 1985 season.

I don't have any grudge against Tacy, but I was on campus during his last years and living in Winston during his last two.

The first final 8 pre-dates my days at Wake, but looking back he had 1 winning ACC year (77 final 8 run) and 1 500 year, in the 7 years prior to my freshman year. Frank Johnson had to redshirt and that season with our very good freshman class went in the toilet.

Franks RS year was a real boon, by having a strong soph class to play with. Looking back I was really on campus for some of our golden years as this was when the resurgence of Wake hoops started.

81 - ACC 9-5, Got to top 5 in the country, lost to UNC by 1 in the ACCT semis (yes some one besides Duncan got to play on Saturday), upset in the NCAAT by unranked BC, when #1 Oregon State had lost earlier, which opened up our bracket.
82 - ACC 9-5, ranked going into ACCT, lost to UVA and Jr. Ralph Sampson by 1 in the semis. Lost to #19 Memphis St in the NCAAT
83 - ACC 7-7, There were fairly high expectations for this season but we lost our last 4 reg season games including the 130-89 State game, then lost in the 1st round of the ACCT to State on a last second shot which was a start of their ACCT and NCAAT runs. I think this was the butter knife year involving Kenny Green and another player (the other guy had the butter knife).
84 - ACC 7-7, ACCT semi's loss to MD and with the improbable run to the final 8 - also Bogue's Frosh year
85 - ACC 5-9, at mid season there was talk of Tacy for coach of the year then it fell apart as we went 1-6 in the ACC down the stretch. ACCT qtrs and the infamous hanging on the rim T that led to the OT loss to UNC.

Interesting that Tacy, one year removed from the Elite 8 run and 3 of 4 great years, winds up quiting in July of 85, thereby screwing us over in a coach search.

Maybe he saw the writing on the wall, Kenny Green was fed up with him and left as a 1st round draft pick as a Soph. Charlie Thomas our next great player flunked out of school and transferred to one of the New Mex schools. We still had Cline who never lived up to his hype. Of course Bogues was a rising Junior. Had Green stayed and Thomas not flunked out we would have had a decent core to the team, while not a Staak fan at all, he wound up with a team where his 5' 3" PG was the best player.

Tacy had some really good years when he had the players but he also had quite a few bad and mediocre years.

Since I'm not his buddy and as many felt like, when he quit in July that set us on the course for 4 years of misery since we had to find the best coach we could that was willing to screw over his players in the middle of the summer.

Maybe we should really thank him, Staak recruited Chris King, who saw Tim Duncan, told Odom to check him out and led to our true glory years in hoops. If Tacy had stayed would Tim Duncan have ever known where Wake Forest was?

And yes I know I'm old and probably 70% of this board doesn't care about this ancient history.

Staak lost his first 22 ACC games....and I sent the newspaper clipping of the game to the Deacon Club after every one of them.

After all these years, I had no idea Tacy quit in July. Not sure how you can blame MSD for Tacy leaving. They clearly weren't going to fire him.

WHY DO PEOPLE STILL DO THIS??

Let the old fart jerk off over his diary and let this thread die. jeez.

Hopefully last post for this thread...

One of the best parts of the game that deserves mention and gives you a little insight into the team. Late in the 2nd half when Brandon got to the line, he missed his first FT. They showed a shot of Randolph on the bench with a perfectly calm demeanor then he just says "follow through". As in, "don't you dare miss here".

No yelling, no twisting his face. RC is just stone cold. Brandon made the second. Awesome moment.

At the very best, the basket would have counted and JC would have gotten one FT.

Was Wake in the bonus at that point? If so, 1 and 1, or 2, whatever was dictated by the foul count. If not, Wake possession.

Fuck me. Nothing like arriving at Wake in 1985 and departing in 1989. Give me all your Staak years.

Back