• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake/duke Game Thread

Why did he resign?

1) WF didn't pay him jack-shit, even though he rebuilt the program from an ACC bottom-rung to a nationally-ranked one that made two of WF's five Elite Eights in school history (Bones McKinney had two, thanks to Len Chappell & Billy Packer and Dave Odom had one, thanks to Tim Duncan.)

2) WF didn't support him with adequate staff, adequate recruiting budgets or, most of all, even mediocre facilities.

3) WF...both administration & fans...didn't appreciate what he had accomplished or the unbelievable obstacles that he had to overcome coaching at WF under the conditions there at the time. Gene Hooks even went so far as to undermine what he was doing by secretly meeting with some trouble-maker players behind his back.

I love how it's the players who got the other coaches to their Elite Eights, but it's Tacy's coaching that got him there lol.

THOSE RABBLE-ROUSER TROUBLE-MAKING PLAYERS.

Heaven forbid the AD meet with players to figure out what's going on with a coach.

Tacy quit, he left the job on his own accord, does not deserve martyrdom. Good coach who did well but not well enough in my opinion.

At what point will we hear about the uphill-both-ways walk to school in the snow?

Tacy quit, he left the job on his own accord, does not deserve martyrdom. Good coach who did well but not well enough in my opinion.

Yeah, for $60K/year those two Elite Eights don't stack up against the 11th to 15th-place ACC finishes WF has gotten from [Redacted] & Manning for $1-$2 million/year.

He still quit, was not fired and would not have been until due cause was shown, love him all you want, I thought he was kind of a jerk every interaction I had with him.

Yeah, for $60K/year those two Elite Eights don't stack up against the 11th to 15th-place ACC finishes WF has gotten from [Redacted] & Manning for $1-$2 million/year.

This shows a total misunderstanding of how the world works. Danny is getting the lower end of the market. Tacy got about the same or little more on the pecking order of the time. He should have probably gotten a little more.

This whole saga predates my Wake Forest fandom, but if Tacy was such an outstanding coach why didn't he get another job?

Massimino's salary at Nova after winning a natty was $100k

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

This whole saga predates my Wake Forest fandom, but if Tacy was such an outstanding coach why didn't he get another job?
Because players and coches didn't like him or didn't at least like working with him.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Tacy was a really good coach who did well under less-than-ideal circumstances and Wake was lucky to have him.
He was also prickly and, at least toward the end, didn't relate well to his players and did not enjoy the increasingly high-pressure world of college recruiting.
Wake maybe could have treated him better but things were different then and Wake was not swimming in ACC TV money like it is now - surviving on the support of our small alumni base was not easy.

All of these things were true.

Tacy clearly grew weary of coaching, period. He chose to walk away at a very bad time of the year and left Wake in a tough position with respect to a coaching search. He also left the cupboard pretty bare. He never tried to get back into coaching, as far as I know.

Tacy was a really good coach who did well under less-than-ideal circumstances and Wake was lucky to have him.
He was also prickly and, at least toward the end, didn't relate well to his players and did not enjoy the increasingly high-pressure world of college recruiting.
Wake maybe could have treated him better but things were different then and Wake was not swimming in ACC TV money like it is now - surviving on the support of our small alumni base was not easy.

All of these things were true.

Tacy clearly grew weary of coaching, period. He chose to walk away at a very bad time of the year and left Wake in a tough position with respect to a coaching search. He also left the cupboard pretty bare. He never tried to get back into coaching, as far as I know.

XXXXXXXXXXXX
To:
bobknightfan
Subject:
RE: Carl Tacy resignation
Sent:
Jan 10, 2011 3:00 PM

Bud,

I live in Winston-Salem and have known Coach Tacy for years. In fact, up until the last couple of years, we went turkey-hunting together once or twice every spring, and I plan to renew that habit this spring. Two of my good friends, including the best man in my wedding, graduated from Wake Forest in XXXX, and my brother graduated from Wake Forest in the early 1980s.

I have a few more details because I am a former member of the media who has shielded my ID from 95 percent of the people on the WF boards. I will tell you that my name is XXXXXXXXX. I worked for the afternoon paper in Winston-Salem for eight years, the last three as XXXXXXXXXXX, and I covered Wake Forest the entire time, and after that for a few years when I worked for the Journal.  

BTW: I couldn't stand John Mackovic or Al Groh, but I loved Bill Dooley and Dave Odom.

I attended an awful lot of Wake Forest football and basketball games in the late 1970s and through the 1980s. I witnessed Coach Tacy being undermined by members of the athletic department and a number of prominent Deacon Club members who I intensely disliked back then, and I was thrilled the next season when Wake beat DePaul and that crowd had to eat crow.   

With Tom Hammonds and a healthy Todd May, Coach would have had Wake Forest back deep in the NCAA tournament again. Todd May was that good. Anthony Teachey told me that Todd was a much better shooter and just as good a player as Mark Alarie. The feeling I got was that Todd May's father, Leon May, is the one who chose Kentucky for him out of high school, then chose Wake Forest for him when he left Kentucky. Todd just wanted to stay in Pikeville, Ky., and play for the local college and be around his girlfriend. He was scared of needles and doctors and medicine, and Wake's medical staff couldn't get him to take a lot of the pain-killers and anti-inflammatory drugs they wanted him to take to make his injury heal faster. He was afraid of taking them, and when he didn't take them and didn't get well, he went home.

Strangely enough, the note about Jimmy Black did not come to me from Coach Tacy. The late Mary Garber told me she'd been told that off the record, I assume, by Coach Tacy.

I'd be glad to talk to you when you get to W-S. I travel a lot for my job, but give me a little warning and PM me next time you're going to be up this way.

Last edited:
ChrisL is nailing it about Tacy - read what he wrote and read the NY Times article he linked. Tacy was a terrific x-and-o coach, both in preparing a team and especially with in-game adjustments. But he had the personality of a washrag. When he recruited, he always took an assistant with him and they took the lead because Tacy would basically sit and grin at the parents. He had lost his players and lost his coaches. It was time for him to leave, and he knew it.

Question concerning a play in the game. If BC had made his layup, if a foul was called on Grayson Allen for pushing JC, and if the push came after BC shot the ball, would the basket have counted and Wake have been awarded the ball as well?

Question concerning a play in the game. If BC had made his layup, if a foul was called on Grayson Allen for pushing JC, and if the push came after BC shot the ball, would the basket have counted and Wake have been awarded the ball as well?

At the very best, the basket would have counted and JC would have gotten one FT.

Back