• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Football Offseason Thread

Does anyone have any tape of either a past Clawson team or another school whose offense we are trying to one day look like in the running game? Maybe it is the execution, but the Rocky Reid running plays up the middle looked terrible and took forever to develop.

Is anyone as tired as I am of the stupid fake throw to the flat after the qb hands the ball off to the back? That shit drives me nuts. I've never seen the outside linebackers of the opposition leave the box on the fake. Idk I guess I think it's pretty dumb given that 99.9% of people know that it's gonna be our typical slow developing run up the gut out of shotgun formation. I just think it bothers me because we still lack creativity on offense in year 3.

The run up the middle still is the slow read. Never the blast straight ahead. But, QB under center is best for that. Wish we would try both sometime.

There are plenty of Clawson era BGSU clips on YouTube including some full games.

I thought Clawson's whole thing was a creative, effective offense.... The Clawfense! Right?

Can someone tell me why Hinton holds onto the ball in the tuck so long on the handoffs? Seems to make the play develop even slower. I get that he is making a read. But he seems to hold onto the ball longer than any quarterback I've seen. Also, I'm not sure I agree with having Hinton run down field after he hands off to make blocks. He's gonna get injured doing that.

Also- if Wolford ends up getting the starting gig, any way we can move Hinton to the slot, a la Braxton Miller, to keep him on the field and for trick plays? He seems to be our fastest player and one of the biggest playmakers.

I thought Clawson's whole thing was a creative, effective offense.... The Clawfense! Right?

Ask Tennessee fans about this. Just sayin'.

Clawson does appear to be a great manager of the program. Will be interesting to see if he shakes things up this year if we don't make significant improvement with the offense.

I was not at the game, but I did see Clawson comment about keeping things 'vanilla' on purpose because game was televised. I do not know exactly what this means, but seems to speak to above comments on some level.

Yes, and I read that this morning in our paper also. But I was speaking in general from the last 2 years also when we have been so vanilla and knowing we did not have much in the way of talent, no doubt. But as we are stockpiling some depth, I don't think we will ever have the 3* & 4* type players that we will be going up against in the ACC, just on our side alone with FSU & Clemson. [not to mention the Miami, VT and the cheaters from Chapel Hill]. So I just don't think teams like us & Duke can ever try to knock heads up front with those guys and need to do the things like Mackovic & Spurrier used to do when they spread the field and to an extent Jim Grobe with the mis-direction offense.

"keeping it vanilla" is code for "we are going to suck"

Can someone tell me why Hinton holds onto the ball in the tuck so long on the handoffs? Seems to make the play develop even slower. I get that he is making a read. But he seems to hold onto the ball longer than any quarterback I've seen. Also, I'm not sure I agree with having Hinton run down field after he hands off to make blocks. He's gonna get injured doing that.

Also- if Wolford ends up getting the starting gig, any way we can move Hinton to the slot, a la Braxton Miller, to keep him on the field and for trick plays? He seems to be our fastest player and one of the biggest playmakers.

He holds on to the ball to get the read and so the D doesn't know who will carry the ball.

And he should only play WR if he can play it and Kearns is a legit backup.

Just watched the spring game on ESPN3. It wasn't pretty as a whole, but there were some good moments.

Carney needs to see the ball a lot. I think Reid will be a good #2 option. WR is going to be scary with all of the different weapons we have. Between Lewis, Washington, Hines, Wade, Later, and Claude we're loaded. They're all young too. Crump is going to need to show something if he wants to play.

Wolford looks more comfortable right now. Hinton has plenty of talent though. Kid needs to see the field in some capacity.

OL, as others have stated, needs work.

Defense is going to be fine.

6 wins should be an attainable goal. Good days are ahead of us.

Just watched the spring game on ESPN3. It wasn't pretty as a whole, but there were some good moments.

Carney needs to see the ball a lot. I think Reid will be a good #2 option. WR is going to be scary with all of the different weapons we have. Between Lewis, Washington, Hines, Wade, Later, and Claude we're loaded. They're all young too. Crump is going to need to show something if he wants to play.

Wolford looks more comfortable right now. Hinton has plenty of talent though. Kid needs to see the field in some capacity.

OL, as others have stated, needs work.

Defense is going to be fine.

6 wins should be an attainable goal. Good days are ahead of us.

I think this is a very good assessment and would agree 100%

6 wins seems to be the consensus goal. being honest with myself, i don't think we'll make that goal.

I would think you could still call a vanilla offensive game plan and run a few toss plays or something off tackle but I could be wrong.

Improvements I see are that the easy plays are more crisp such as swing passes, bubble screens, and trap running plays. The schedule is easy. I don't think we are a bowl team with an average schedule but I think we are pushing for a bowl game with this cupcake non-com schedule.

I think some put way to much stock into the spring game. I believe the spring game is good practice for the team, but the bulk of the growth comes in the summer. Let's wait until those scrimmages are done to make a judgement.

Between Tulane (H), Duke (A), Delaware(H), Indiana (A), and Syracuse (H), we should be able to get 3 wins before the BYE. Both of the road games will feature a lot of new faces on the other squad starting for the first time.

That sets up home games against Army, UVA, and BC after the BYE as must-wins to get to a bowl (Shreveport or DC likely). I actually think that's reasonable.

Can't remember the last time we had a schedule this easy - if ever.

6 wins seems to be the consensus goal. being honest with myself, i don't think we'll make that goal.

I agree. What we saw from QB and OL on Saturday will probably not get us to six. Six is a low goal; I doubt many teams have one that low. But it's reasonable for us because of how far we are from competitive. The games will be much tougher than they appear on paper right now.

I agree. What we saw from QB and OL on Saturday will probably not get us to six. Six is a low goal; I doubt many teams have one that low. But it's reasonable for us because of how far we are from competitive. The games will be much tougher than they appear on paper right now.

I agree with that last sentence. 6 wins is an attainable goal but expecting to walk through BC and Cuse won't happen. Those games will be close games that come down to who can finish in the 4th quarter, something we haven't done well in a long time.

Regardless of the improvements we make on offense this fall, it looks like another year having to rely on our defense.

Between Tulane (H), Duke (A), Delaware(H), Indiana (A), and Syracuse (H), we should be able to get 3 wins before the BYE. Both of the road games will feature a lot of new faces on the other squad starting for the first time.

That sets up home games against Army, UVA, and BC after the BYE as must-wins to get to a bowl (Shreveport or DC likely). I actually think that's reasonable.

Can't remember the last time we had a schedule this easy - if ever.

"Wake Forest Football" and "easy schedule" can never be used in the same sentence. :(

It really is a waste to have a very good TE and promising young WR with no running game and suspect QB play.

Seems like a way to manage would be to put Hinton in a 1 TE, 4 WR spread and give him two quick reads and the freedom to run if they're not there.

Back