• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest 2023 baseball season thread (Deacs end historic season with extra inning loss to LSU: Final record 54-12 and top 4 finish nationally)

Maryland is 2nd….Wake is tied 9th….and Northeastern is 16th. Probably wish I had not looked it up.
There numbers were against trash pitchers. Guessing we had a record # of mercy rule games for WF. not sure if ncaa allows for mercy in postseason, but if so I’m predicting we mercy George mason and earn the nickname mercy Deacs With another one this weekend. No lowf here.

I was having dinner with my folks tonight in Central New Jersey. Randomly heard some guy two booths over from us that spent a solid 10 minutes just talking about how good Wake Forest baseball was this year.

Also, the family wedding I'm being dragged to this weekend (instead of going to Winston) is a town over from Nicky Nukes' hometown. This makes me feel better about our odds.
what towns?

I’m by no means an expert on golf but doesn’t seem like they should allow conceded shots in the NCAAs yet here we are winning a natty on one.
Match play inherently allows for conceding holes. That’s not an NCAA specific rule but a golf rule. Mercy rules aren’t a standard across baseball as far as I know.

Can’t possibly be a mercy rule in the NCAAs
I believe that is correct. Couldn't find anything in the rule book (yes i have the rule book bookmarked). But going off of some of last years scores it appears No mercy rule.

Nor should there be. You shouldn't get to protect your BP arms just because you scored one run more than someone else may have in your pool. That being said, if we are up 22-0 in the 7th I want to see Andrew freakin' Noland take the bump

I believe that is correct. Couldn't find anything in the rule book (yes i have the rule book bookmarked). But going off of some of last years scores it appears No mercy rule.

Nor should there be. You shouldn't get to protect your BP arms just because you scored one run more than someone else may have in your pool. That being said, if we are up 22-0 in the 7th I want to see Andrew freakin' Noland take the bump
Jake Reinisch tossing underhand for fly balls.

I mean why on earth would the losing team want a mercy rule in the tournament? That loss is getting them 50% of the way towards elimination. Even if you are wanting to save your good pitchers for another game where you have a more realistic chance, might as well throw some freshmen out there and hope a miracle happens.

Will there be tailgate before game?

It looks like I'm flying solo to the 1 p.m. game.

I think I have 6 4 extra tickets, 3 2 of which include All-American Club access. Anybody can just shoot me a d.m. with their cell # if they want to take advantage of that.

.... On the tailgate, I'm gonna throw some stuff in a cooler and set up my grill at the bottom of the hill. It will likely be a quiet mid-afternoon in the parking lot, but I'll have a bunch of people start showing up around 5 p.m.

I'll probably just have a case of domestic beer & the food to feed my people... but I'll have plenty of propane & I'll be ready to cook anything that's brought to me.

Definitely jealous the Deacs (and Deacon fans) are getting to enjoy the thrill of hosting a baseball regional this weekend (and a Super next weekend), it really never gets old. Just when it seems like the college sports calendar is winding down, then you get 64 teams in action on the first day of the tournament today, and there are always some crazy results.

Definitely jealous the Deacs (and Deacon fans) are getting to enjoy the thrill of hosting a baseball regional this weekend (and a Super next weekend), it really never gets old. Just when it seems like the college sports calendar is winding down, then you get 64 teams in action on the first day of the tournament today, and there are always some crazy results.
Let's just hope the Deacs aren't part of the crazy results. Go Deacs!

It looks like I'm flying solo to the 1 p.m. game.

I think I have 6 4 extra tickets, 3 2 of which include All-American Club access. Anybody can just shoot me a d.m. with their cell # if they want to take advantage of that.

.... On the tailgate, I'm gonna throw some stuff in a cooler and set up my grill at the bottom of the hill. It will likely be a quiet mid-afternoon in the parking lot, but I'll have a bunch of people start showing up around 5 p.m.

I'll probably just have a case of domestic beer & the food to feed my people... but I'll have plenty of propane & I'll be ready to cook anything that's brought to me.

I'll probably wander over with booze at some point.

Trying to clear out the calendar to make it to the 1 pm game, but not entirely sure that's going to happen.

Back