• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Offseason Discussion

Having a month to prepare can give you that. But I also think we were healthy for the first time since the early season.

Why was our offense so much better in the first half of the bowl game, than it was during our 1-5 ending of the regular season? I think it was a better game plan.

Having a month to prepare can give you that. But I also think we were healthy for the first time since the early season.

I'm going with healthy as the biggest reason. The O-line and Wolford were more than a little beat up the last half of the season. I suspect that Wolford was in worse shape than anyone admitted publicly. With the month between games, he was able to rest and heal. He pretty much had to play to get Wake to the bowl. Witness how stagnant the offense became when he went out.

I know its just scrimmages, but the Wolford numbers are eye popping. Let's hope something like that holds up in games, when its against better pass defense than Wake has.

Why was our offense so much better in the first half of the bowl game, than it was during our 1-5 ending of the regular season? I think it was a better game plan.

Playing FSU, Clemson and Louisville will tend to reveal weaknesses.

Everybody agrees that our opponents had just had their coach leave them, that was their reward for having such a fine season, so they were obviously disappointed.

So the fact they were disinterested didn't hurt us that first half. When they finally woke up and focused a bit it turned out to be a pretty good game.

So is it safe to assume Dortch's TD came on an orbit or jet sweep?

I read the posts before I read the article.

"On offense, Wolford completed 10 of 15 passes for 204 yards. Kendall Hinton connected on six of nine throws for 77 yards and Jamie Newman was five-for-six for 56 yards."

All the QBs had good stats.

Are we the team that went 5-1 beating IU and duke or the team that went 1-5 with home loses to Army and BC? Are we the team that scored 31 unanswered in the first half of the Bowl game or the team whose only scoring drive in the second half went 3 yards for 3 pts? Whom ever the QB is, this is still the damnest team to figure out.

Are we the team that went 5-1 beating IU and duke or the team that went 1-5 with home loses to Army and BC? Are we the team that scored 31 unanswered in the first half of the Bowl game or the team whose only scoring drive in the second half went 3 yards for 3 pts? Whom ever the QB is, this is still the damnest team to figure out.

I go with the theory every team we played had our game plan. We only know about a few that got caught. Further it didn't occur just last season. Interesting to note the first team we played where we know they didn't have our playbook, we drop 31 points in a half on them.

What I'm feeling and assuming so far about our offense this season...
- our QBs are playing better (both passing and running)
- our O line is better
- our running game is better (addition of breakout speed)
- our receivers are better (depth, speed)
- our playbook is not known to all

Summary - I'm expecting a lot more yards and points

We are going to have to beat FSU if we want to go undefeated.

I would rather beat Louisville than FSU, but I'd rather beat FSU than ND. Lots of people beat ND, it's not that cool.

I would rather beat Louisville than FSU, but I'd rather beat FSU than ND. Lots of people beat ND, it's not that cool.

Conference games.

The first time in forever it appears that WF will need to rely on the offense to win games rather than simply hope the offense doesn't lose the game as the defense digs in. Guessing that the impressive offensive performance in pre-season scrimmages (in the past, the defense would simply dominate August scrimmages) is attributable to both improved/more experienced offensive talent, and a slightly weaker defense than in year's past. WF is going to need to score more points because the defense is going to surrender more points.

Wake has had to rely on the offense to win games since 2008. They just didn't deliver most of the time.

The first time in forever it appears that WF will need to rely on the offense to win games rather than simply hope the offense doesn't lose the game as the defense digs in. Guessing that the impressive offensive performance in pre-season scrimmages (in the past, the defense would simply dominate August scrimmages) is attributable to both improved/more experienced offensive talent, and a slightly weaker defense than in year's past. WF is going to need to score more points because the defense is going to surrender more points.

The defense may surrender more points on average but if the offense can actually sustain drives and score points instead of going 3 and out on most possessions than the opponent should have less time of possession and opportunities to score.

Can't wait for our trip to Boston. That will tell the tale whether our OL can block a good pass rush, or our QB will be crushed in the backfield. I think the defense will keep the Eagles out of the endzone.

Back