• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Offseason Discussion

Byrd is bigger than I realized. It's hard to imagine Beal will get much PT this season absent injuries or unless he really impresses.

Byrd is bigger than I realized. It's hard to imagine Beal will get much PT this season absent injuries or unless he really impresses.

Yeah really. Byrd was listed at 190 in HS. Now he's bigger than Carney at 220.

Would be sweet if Beal could redshirt, especially given the lack of RBs coming in the next couple of classes.

Clawson said today that frosh LB DJ Taylor will likely play and not redshirt. WF hopes to redshirt LBs Chase Monroe and Jake Simpson, but WF will use them this year if needed because of injuries:
http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081617aaa.html

Taylor sounds like a great athlete. Although he played some D, Taylor was a stud RB in HS (5,000+ yards rushing and 70 TDs). He is from TN.

I'm a little surprised Taylor beat out Monroe. Figured Monroe would be the guy to beat as a freshman LB after Burley went down.

I'm a little surprised Taylor beat out Monroe. Figured Monroe would be the guy to beat as a freshman LB after Burley went down.

I just went back and watched Taylor tape on Hudl. What a beast, but looked like he was playing against frosh and soph in some of the highlights. Did he play at a small school? Anywho, he def. will bring speed to the position, and we may need that to spell Dawson as speed is his challenge. It is def. not Taylor's challenge. He has that in spades. He body slammed on his tackles on half the highlights, kids got speed and strength, at least at his high school level.

The can of whip ass waiting for PC is only 14 days away!

It's about damn time to see an offense with a pulse.

I'm hoping to see 3 QB's get snaps.

I want us to look somewhat explosive on O, get some good reps for the newbies on D, and definitely see some quality time for all 3 QB's. Would be nice to get a quick lead and let Newman play the entire 2nd half.

I'm looking for 40+ points. Unless we get 40 in the 1st half, I hope Clawson will not call off the dogs until the 4th quarter.

Fans are frustrated with the lack of offense since forever. I don't care at this point who the competition is, I just want to see touchdowns. If we cannot score at least 40 against Presbyterian, this is going to be one long, miserable season IMO.

We only scored 7 in our opener last year and it wasn't a long, miserable year.

Meanwhile we scored 107 in our first two games in 2010 -- including 53 against Presby in the opener -- and then didn't win another game until the finale.

This game is barely above an exhibition. Don't take what happens very seriously

We only scored 7 in our opener last year and it wasn't a long, miserable year.

Meanwhile we scored 107 in our first two games in 2010 -- including 53 against Presby in the opener -- and then didn't win another game until the finale.

This game is barely above an exhibition. Don't take what happens very seriously

I remember thinking after that Presbyterian game that we weren't very good despite the score. And that was true.

You can tell some things from a game like this: can we block and tackle and throw and catch. If they move the ball on our defense that will tell us something. If we can't run against them, that will tell us something too.

If we win 50-0 that won't tell us much.

It just depends on what we are trying to do. We are 40 points favorite over Presbyterian and they are likely the worst team we have played in a very long time. They scored under 100 points all of last year.

I would expect us to get on the board early and often, but if we win 31-7 or something because we are working on different stuff then I really don't care.

I am guessing we will try to get up big so we don't have any injury concerns before the BC game, which we have 9 days to prep for.

If they score on our 1st D, I will be concerned (short of something like that bounce-lateral pass they pulled last time).

If our 1st O is forced to punt, I will be concerned (apart from some boneheaded penalty).

What may happen with our 2nd and 3rd units will be concerning, but not as much.

Back