• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Offseason Discussion

I doubt there's any evidence, but I believe this sort of thing benefits the program in ways you can't predict or measure. Wake should be getting in front of as many eyeballs in as many parts of the country as possible.

If road games in an area helped recruit that area, we could certainly measure it.

As far as eyeballs, winning does that.

Alex Bachman / 6-foot, 185 / Junior
Analysis: Bachman started to break out in the 2016 spring camp, and has established himself as a solid route runner with sure hands. He’s been hampered at times this camp with a hamstring injury.

White receiver talking points.

Meh. . . that's really just some of his strengths.

One paragraph lower:

Higgins on Bachman: “He had a great spring and summer. He caught the ball well for us, and was having a good camp. Alex is a great route runner and has great hands. Last year he was so close to making many big plays, but just wasn’t able to finish. Making some of those explosives can change a game.”

Last edited:
I thought Bachman would be the classic "possession" receiver last season; but, frankly, he disappointed.

Could be implying I'm a racist, or PLOT TWIST. . . this might be some of his strengths.

One paragraph lower:

Higgins on Bachman: “He had a great spring and summer. He caught the ball well for us, and was having a good camp. Alex is a great route runner and has great hands. Last year he was so close to making many big plays, but just wasn’t able to finish. Making some of those explosives can change a game.”

I think Creamy was joking that he was a stereotypical white WR. The quote helps his point.

I just want to see Cortez play more snaps. Seems like he wasn't on the field nearly enough last season.

I think Creamy was joking that he was a stereotypical white WR. The quote helps his point.

I just want to see Cortez play more snaps. Seems like he wasn't on the field nearly enough last season.

Maybe I took it too personal. Creamy is prob full of crap (in a good way) most of the time, isn't he?

Cortez is an odd situation, in that he and Scotty Washington very well may end up with close to a 50/50 split of snaps.

Thinking about a Reddit-style AMA about Wake fall camp on here tomorrow, if you folks are at all interested.

I'm going to assume "Creamy Goodness" is joking much of the time.

If Scotty earns the PT, that's great. He didn't last year. If he plays well, we have longer drives and both get plenty of snaps. Last year it seemed like Scotty failed to make plays on 3rd downs in which Cortez should have been in the game.

Great idea on the AMA, Les.

Maybe this is football standard operating procedure but I don't like that our receivers learn one position. I understand that some WRs are subjected to the X position (Y and Z). But If Scotty is coming on the way the reports are saying I wish cortez could scoot over to the other outside receiver position and have Scotty, Tabari, Cortez on the field at once. Add Chucky in there too (I've heard chucky knows all three spots but why is he the only one?).

On the Dave Clawson show he mentioned that the following freshman will play: Ja'sir Taylor (Corner), Coby Davis (Safety), Sean Maginn (OL), and Jake Simpson (LB.
Those on 'red alert': DJ Taylor (LB), Sage Surrat (WR), Christian Beal (RB), and Tyriq Hardimon (Safety).
The starting oh-line is: Herron, Haynes, Anderson, Osterhage, and Benzinger. Nash, Gilliam, and Terry will play. Further, Watson has looked good.
He mentioned that the Tight End position looks really good in the future without Serigne. Mentioning Cole, Freudenthal, and Chapman.

Sean Maginn?? Freshman O lineman rarely play unless they're high end guys

Sean Maginn?? Freshman O lineman rarely play unless they're high end guys

He said after some attrition (Harris and Hayworth) that they knew they were likely going to have to play a True-Frosh at some point this year. Maginn just happened to be the strongest and physically ready.

ETA: which makes me wonder about Taleni Suhren?

It's curious he would say Jake Simpson would definitely play and no DJ Taylor. Last week coach was quoted in the paper he was thinking it would be DJ because of his linebacker skills and special team play making.

Simpson was a surprise to me. Of all of our incoming LBs he was our lowest rated recruit and it wasn't even that close. Maginn was a complete shock.

If Maginn was taking snaps at center, then it would make sense. We'll need a center after next season. As for recruiting nationally, when Grobe couldn't recruit NC, SC and Ga. He went to Texas. Clawson is a better recruiter and doesn't need that. He got Waydale 9 years after our game in Texas, at Baylor. The advantage to away games is that the asst. coaches can go see recruits at their football games. Our future game at ODU will allow us to visit our targets in the tidewater.

If Maginn was taking snaps at center, then it would make sense. We'll need a center after next season. As for recruiting nationally, when Grobe couldn't recruit NC, SC and Ga. He went to Texas. Clawson is a better recruiter and doesn't need that. He got Waydale 9 years after our game in Texas, at Baylor. The advantage to away games is that the asst. coaches can go see recruits at their football games. Our future game at ODU will allow us to visit our targets in the tidewater.

I think if you're going to travel out West it probably makes sense to only do it against a PAC-10 or even a BYU for instance. There are a lot of opponents much closer to home that offer as much benefit to playing as a team like Utah State does. I believe that is kind of where Clawson was coming from.

From stories posted last year on Maginn, he didn't start playing football until the 9th grade. Late starter and multi-sport as he wrestled 4 years, so major programs probably not paying attention even though he had 17 D-1 offers from non-P5 schools. He also had committed in June to Arkansas State so recruiting services probably ignored him too. Looks like per a Scout story on his Wake commitment and to confirm DEAC76, that we had him slated at center when we recruited him. With the problems mentioned on backup centers and snap issues, it may have given him an opening to play over more experienced redshirt freshmen like Suhren. He played with Mitch Hyatt who started as a freshman for Clemson so let's hope he's even in the vicinity of being that good.

Les, this is an awesome summary - please don't take my comment about white receivers seriously. It's just an ongoing boards joke that whenever white receivers are discussed, it seems to be always leaning towards the route running and good hands side of things.

I greatly appreciate your work and the time you take to inform all of us here. I hope you know that my comment was not intended as a slant at all. Thanks for all you do and Go Deacs.

Anybody attend Coach Claws' radio show at Bibs last night or listen in to provide a recap?

I'm going to assume "Creamy Goodness" is joking much of the time.

If Scotty earns the PT, that's great. He didn't last year. If he plays well, we have longer drives and both get plenty of snaps. Last year it seemed like Scotty failed to make plays on 3rd downs in which Cortez should have been in the game.

Great idea on the AMA, Les.

Bro...:tear:

With only a week to kick off, Clawson is going to have to name a starter at QB. While Wolford has been putting up great numbers in practice, I still wonder if Hinton is just one of those kids who only brings his A game to actual game rather than practice. I remember Riley Skinner was buried in the depth chart really only showed what he could do in game day. I am not saying either was lazy at practice, just some kids just turn on another gear on game day. I hope Hinton is one of those kids.

[insert obligation Allen Iverson quote]

Back