• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Recruiting

Football running back commitment - Ty Clark. From The Tennessean:

Clark, 6-foot, 205 pounds, chose the Demon Deacons over offers from Austin Peay, Eastern Kentucky, Colorado State, Miami (Ohio), Navy and Toledo, among others.

He rushed for 1,805 yards and 31 touchdowns on 209 carries this season for the [Franklin Road Academy] Panthers, who finished 11-2 after losing to Christ Presbyterian Academy in the Division II-AA state semifinal of last week’s TSSAA football playoffs.

Ty Clark is a Deac and happy to have him. He wants us, I want him. May turn out a develop into a great player. Hoping he does, thinking he might. But his recruitment also reflects where we are in a program that has had a long run of good success. Not with Clark specifically, but overall we do not recruit classes to stay competitive and a few misses or more or just average development and there we go. Once again we will be DFL or close to it with our class when the dust settles.

Ty Clark is a Deac and happy to have him. He wants us, I want him. May turn out a develop into a great player. Hoping he does, thinking he might. But his recruitment also reflects where we are in a program that has had a long run of good success. Not with Clark specifically, but overall we do not recruit classes to stay competitive and a few misses or more or just average development and there we go. Once again we will be DFL or close to it with our class when the dust settles.
I think it says more that we are still taking recruits right by before the portal is about to open

I think it just reflects the attitude of our coaching staff. Duke has been able to pull 4 stars for a decade. They’ve been worse than us except for about 2 years during that decade and will always be second fiddle to bball. There is no reason we shouldn’t be able to do the same other than that we aren’t even trying to go for those guys.

This recruitment scenario is very similar to one in recent years when an under-recruited running back signed with the Deacs, transferred, and is now starting in the NFL.

This recruitment scenario is very similar to one in recent years when an under-recruited running back signed with the Deacs, transferred, and is now starting in the NFL.
True. WF has often had its most success with recruits that pulls in late with not the most impressive offer list. Walker, Jesse Bates and Bachman among them.

FWIW, with so many Power Conference schools focused on the transfer portal, there are less ships given to HS players than ever before. So, there are more HS recruits that, four years ago, would have a long Power V offer list, don't have any offers because of the change in recruiting emphasis.

Also, its been reported that unless something surprising happens, WF won't be offering any more HS kids, all open ships for the upcoming season will be filled via the portal.

Maalik Murphy should be available next month.
Kyle McCord too. Grad transfer maybe with 2 years? He isn't good, but was 25 overall as a recruit. Not sure if our targets should be former top recruits who struggled at elite programs, or elite players at G5/FCS schools.

Winter transfer portal opens Dec 4th and will now be open for 30 days (it used to be 45 days)
Spring transfer portal opens April 16th and will be open for 15 days

Last year ~ 2,224 Division I football players entered the transfer portal in the winter and ~1,373 entered in the spring

Kyle McCord too. Grad transfer maybe with 2 years? He isn't good, but was 25 overall as a recruit. Not sure if our targets should be former top recruits who struggled at elite programs, or elite players at G5/FCS schools.
Personally I like the prospect of players that have demonstrated high ceilings at whatever level, rather than low ceilings at this level. But main characteristics have to include reasonable height over 6'0" and multidimensions if we stick with the Slow Mesh

When did we hear the first portal announcement last year?

The Deacs scored 136 points in 8 ACC games this season

Hecklinski's Walton team has scored 170 points in the first three rounds of the GHSA playoffs.

At one point early this season, Clawson seemed to imply that we had RB transfers because Ellison and Claiborne were expected to be the top two backs.

Here is a couple quick hits of 2023 stats for guys who transferred:
Christian Tuner had 52 carries for 227 yards and 4 TD at IU
Gavin Holmes had 15 tackles and 1 pass break up for Texas
Bernard Gooden had 7 tackle at USF
Jackson Hensley had 12 catches for 129 yards and 2 TDs at EKU
Rondell Bothroyd had 25 tackles and 1 FR for OU
Ahmani Marshall had 20 carries for 65 yards and 2 TDs for App
Shamar McCullum had 10 solo tackles and a sack for Georgia State
All the Waydale Jones had 2 catches and 2 TDS for Abilene Christian.

Trey Rucker seems to have had the best season on the defensive side of the ball with 87 total tackles a FF and an Int for Ok state.

Back