• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest v ClemPson thread

Serious question. Who will Wellman hire that will be any better?

I say we let wellman coach the team with no pay. This way we won't have to pay 2 mil annually to a bozo of a coach. Let wellman deal with this shit show of a program on a daily basis. Sounds like a good punishment to me

If manning can't even compete at home against middle of the road 3* rosters-with this roster- and isn't recruiting high level recruits, I don't see how this ends well.
Yeah, getting outscored 56-34 in a half against this Clemson team at home is pretty difficult to do.

From lowest points in a half to most points in a half.
Adam Smith ‏@adam_smithTN 31m31 minutes ago

Lowest-scoring half of the season (20 points in first) and highest-scoring half of the season (56 points in second) tonight for Clemson.
Adam Smith ‏@adam_smithTN 21m21 minutes ago

Thirty minutes after the game went final and Danny Manning still has yet to emerge from the Wake locker room.

Those are ALL ACC caliber players.

What about players like London Perrantes, Jaron Blossomgame, Zach LeDay? Those lesser recruited players than many of the players we have yet still make a huge difference for their teams, are they not ACC caliber?

Everyone on your list isn't simply ACC caliber those are NBA caliber players. ACC tourney teams like Cuse and Clempson don't have that talent either. What do they have? They play hard, disciplined and are well coached.
I overstated my point. But the days of any of those type players I mentioned are long since gone at wake. We can't seem to recruit at that level and our results and play reflect it.

Dan Hope
Dan Hope – ‏@Dan_Hope

#Clemson's 56 points in the second half vs. Wake Forest tonight were the most in any half in 185 games under coach Brad Brownell.
7:57 PM - 2 Feb 2016

After watching that game, can you honestly give a reason we lost that doesn't make the future of WF bball and DM look completely hopeless. It's one thing to lose to a team with superior talent, it's another to get completely outworked and give up 56 pts in a half.

Man, I guess I am in the minority that doesn't think talent is the problem. We have arguably a top 1-3 post player in DT. Returning our leading scorer (who obviously has played like shit) and a pretty good looking freshman class. We had miles Overton, and Madison jones on this roster last year... This roster is head and shoulders better than its been in 3-4 years.

Clempson, VPI, GTech, FSU, BC, UVA, ND aren't exactly high caliber rosters.

The difference is coaching and identity. Clempson plays hard, tough and smart. We play one of those once for about a five minutes span once a game. Talent isn't that big of an issue if you have a decent coach. VT and Clemson should be clear examples of this.
This

I overstated my point. But the days of any of those type players I mentioned are long since gone at wake. We can't seem to recruit at that level and our results and play reflect it.

They are only long gone so long as we continue to employ shitty coaches.

I hope you're right. But I'm not optimistic we have top flight coaches lining up to coach here.. The reasons for that are unclear. I suspect they start with ron Wellman.

Probably because the fanbase has been beaten down to the point where they no longer give a shit. You saw that crowd.

I know a lot of die hard WFU fans who just can't take it anymore. The UVA game was the straw that broke the camel's back for many of us. It's painful to watch it but even worse to see it in person.

Wake won the first half so tonight was a nice moral victory for the team especially for a game on a Tuesday.

I hope you're right. But I'm not optimistic we have top flight coaches lining up to coach here.. The reasons for that are unclear. I suspect they start with ron Wellman.

No doubt that Wellman, and likely Hatch, must leave before anything substantial can be accomplished.

Man, I guess I am in the minority that doesn't think talent is the problem. We have arguably a top 1-3 post player in DT. Returning our leading scorer (who obviously has played like shit) and a pretty good looking freshman class. We had miles Overton, and Madison jones on this roster last year... This roster is head and shoulders better than its been in 3-4 years.

Clempson, VPI, GTech, FSU, BC, UVA, ND aren't exactly high caliber rosters.

The difference is coaching and identity. Clempson plays hard, tough and smart. We play one of those once for about a five minutes span once a game. Talent isn't that big of an issue if you have a decent coach. VT and Clemson should be clear examples of this.

Good post. Any good coach gets more out of his talent and Manning isn't doing that.

Postgame quotes are posted here:

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/020216aae.html

On the message to the team postgame...
"Nobody cares about our pain. Nobody cares what we're feeling. We've got to change it ourselves. That's what I told them. We've got to change it ourselves. Every possession we've got to have that same mentality. Every possession, when we're playing in the game on Saturday, they should feel the sting of losses where we didn't play as well in the second half as we did in the first half. That's something that should be a constant reminder to you as a competitor. I don't like this feeling. I don't want to feel this again. What can I do to not feel this way. That's the message because for those young men in that locker room, if the only type of adversity they have is basketball games right now then they're going to have a charmed life. You've got to continue to grind and continue to fight."

Back