• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest v ClemPson thread

Postgame quotes are posted here:

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/020216aae.html

On the message to the team postgame...
"Nobody cares about our pain. Nobody cares what we're feeling. We've got to change it ourselves. That's what I told them. We've got to change it ourselves. Every possession we've got to have that same mentality. Every possession, when we're playing in the game on Saturday, they should feel the sting of losses where we didn't play as well in the second half as we did in the first half. That's something that should be a constant reminder to you as a competitor. I don't like this feeling. I don't want to feel this again. What can I do to not feel this way. That's the message because for those young men in that locker room, if the only type of adversity they have is basketball games right now then they're going to have a charmed life. You've got to continue to grind and continue to fight."

Sounds like the old Grobe saying that they'll win when they get tired of losing. smh

I haven't read all of Manning's postgame comments after the losses, so does he ever take any blame on himself?

I'm not a Codi hater, but it drives me crazy to see the defense sag off Codi and force him to drive into a crowd...it's impressive that he's even remotely effective given what defenses can get away with...imagine how devastating he would be if he only had an outside shot.

I'm still in the give Manning a chance camp. This frosh class is really strong and brings a more aggressive attitude than the players from [Redacted] era. I think it's interesting that our offense really kicked into high-gear when we actually played defense...we seemed....I don't know...good. Maybe we should practice that more?

I'm not a Codi hater, but it drives me crazy to see the defense sag off Codi and force him to drive into a crowd...it's impressive that he's even remotely effective given what defenses can get away with...imagine how devastating he would be if he only had an outside shot.

I'm still in the give Manning a chance camp. This frosh class is really strong and brings a more aggressive attitude than the players from [Redacted] era. I think it's interesting that our offense really kicked into high-gear when we actually played defense...we seemed....I don't know...good. Maybe we should practice that more?

We basically have no choice at this point.

Since when was Codi even remotely effective? 36% FG, 19% 3FG, 57% FT

Seems appropriate that this game was played on groundhog day. Same nightmare every day.

Comment from BC after the game

On what the team needs to do going forward…
“We all need to step up, play with effort and just compete. I feel like if we compete and play hard, then everything else will work itself out. We competed in the first half and we let up on them second half.”

From MW
On the postgame discussion…
“They were telling us the same things they’ve been saying over and over again. It’s on us to listen and do those things like boxing out, rebounding, getting stops, playing together and playing unselfishly. Those are all things we need to do to play together and get out of this slump. No one feels sorry for us. It’s up to us to get through this as a team.”

Seems we've been recruiting players for the last 6 years that never had to compete and put the effort in to win games. Further we only recruit players that ignore the coaching they receive.

I'd prefer to hear that DT got so pissed that he smashed a chair in the locker room, most of his supporting cast has screwed him in his Sr. year.

Man, this is the most disappointing loss for Wake in at least 8 days.

Comment from BC after the game

On what the team needs to do going forward…
“We all need to step up, play with effort and just compete. I feel like if we compete and play hard, then everything else will work itself out. We competed in the first half and we let up on them second half.”

From MW
On the postgame discussion…
“They were telling us the same things they’ve been saying over and over again. It’s on us to listen and do those things like boxing out, rebounding, getting stops, playing together and playing unselfishly. Those are all things we need to do to play together and get out of this slump. No one feels sorry for us. It’s up to us to get through this as a team.”

Seems we've been recruiting players for the last 6 years that never had to compete and put the effort in to win games. Further we only recruit players that ignore the coaching they receive.

I'd prefer to hear that DT got so pissed that he smashed a chair in the locker room, most of his supporting cast has screwed him in his Sr. year.

So either we've been recruiting only players that are hard-headed and lazy for several years now or we've been incapable of hiring a coach that can get through to them. I don't like Coach K even a little bit, but I give him credit, he seems to be able to take these prima donna, spoiled high schools stars and get most of them to play with great effort and intensity. As bad as we've been in football the last 2 years, I don't question the effort our football boys play with, it shouldn't be different in hoops.

Wake is missing a second solid shooter to stretch the defense and lacks a consistent threat at the three spot who can penetrate and get the D to collapse. The three is in rough shape. Crab, notwithstanding good spurts here and there, has largely been a disappointment this year.

So either we've been recruiting only players that are hard-headed and lazy for several years now or we've been incapable of hiring a coach that can get through to them. I don't like Coach K even a little bit, but I give him credit, he seems to be able to take these prima donna, spoiled high schools stars and get most of them to play with great effort and intensity. As bad as we've been in football the last 2 years, I don't question the effort our football boys play with, it shouldn't be different in hoops.

When you are constantly bringing in new talent, it's easy to keep guys motivated. Hell, take last night as a tiny case example: Moore gets in, does well, and Devin comes in with renewed intensity. It's much easier to say "if you won't play hard, I'll find someone who will" when you actually have a lot of players that can replace the slacker. Manning doesn't have that card to play right now.

When other teams ramp up their intensity we back down. UVA and Clemson both did it when they had to and we did not match the effort at all.

Since when was Codi even remotely effective? 36% FG, 19% 3FG, 57% FT

this is a little short sided IMO. he has been a trooper during a really bad time to be a Deac, and he deserves credit for what he has had to put up with (Bzz and fanbase).

soph year - 43% fg, .628 ft%, .2 3pt
Jr year - .45% fg, .644 ft%, .284 3pt % - All-ACC Honorable mention

it is a shame that his career has taken this sort of turn, i thought his return would really help us this year.

Previous years are meaningless at this point. He's not remotely effective this year.

Those are ALL ACC caliber players.

What about players like London Perrantes, Jaron Blossomgame, Zach LeDay? Those lesser recruited players than many of the players we have yet still make a huge difference for their teams, are they not ACC caliber?

Everyone on your list isn't simply ACC caliber those are NBA caliber players. ACC tourney teams like Cuse and Clempson don't have that talent either. What do they have? They play hard, disciplined and are well coached.

Perrantes is 21. Blossomgame and LeDay almost 22.

Perrantes is 21. Blossomgame and LeDay almost 22.

And Perrantes and Blossomgame were in the ESPN top 100. That makes them significantly higher-rated recruits than most of the players on our roster

And Perrantes and Blossomgame were in the ESPN top 100. That makes them significantly higher-rated recruits than most of the players on our roster

Are they also the best and highest rated players on their teams too or no?

Those teams are full of 3* recruits as well. Yet pretty significant drop off in different between Clempson and wake.

Codi rated 80th where Blossomgame 95 and Perrantes 96th. Point?

Last edited:
Back