• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Most Likely to Upset

I'd be surprised if App were an underdog on a neutral site against Missouri.

I was using FPI (I believe, busy right now or would look it up). I think Mizzou was ranked about 5 ahead of App. Either way, I meant "equivalent" with a little wiggle room above or below. Just talking name recognition of an opponent.

If we just stay steady during App's overly amped and jacked up five minutes to open the game and don't turn the ball over we are going to kick their ass. Better at virtually every position on the field.

this strikes me as probably right.

By that standard, every game we play against a team we expect to beat is a "big game". Was the Presby game a big game?

Presby had no chance and it was home. App definitely has a chance, especially at their place. No where did I say it was a bigger game then FSU, Ville, etc., but it is a big game.

One way you can look at it is preparation for away games with hostile crowds. If we can go in there, calmly execute our game plan and win, we have some experience to draw from that can be used down the road. Other than that, WF should not schedule them.

yup. no upside to playing app

yup. no upside to playing app

Disagree. Playing BC, Syracuse, and service academies sucks when it comes to excitement and fan interest. The ASU game used to be one of the most fun of the year. Tying them in the last game cost us a bowl one year, and that was painful, but otherwise that rivalry was a good one for us. We stopped the series when we couldn't use a win towards bowl game qualification but that's not the case now. This trip to Boone is going to be great. We might lose, but that's why you play the game.

This thread is driving us all nuts. All 12 games are BIG games. We have waited 8 months for this season. Wake fans should never go pointing fingers in anybody's faces. Just win, smile and walk away. We should play as hard against App as we will against F$U. Both games are equally as important in our chase for a Bowl game. Just keep on keep'n on. WAKE 31-20.

lol no

This should be an expected win. Nobody outside the program will go, "oh would you look at that! Wake Forest won at Appalachian State! What an impressive win!"

That isn't happening. Small time.

You mistook my meaning. I meant a win like we just had. I should have said a win in convincing fashion. Nobody gives a shit about blowing out USU but we did what we were supposed to. If we take care of business with App then I think that's a huge positive for the direction of the program, even if no one gives a shit.

Also, for people saying we shouldn't play App, I disagree. Football games are meant to be enjoyed and I'm looking forward to a weekend in Boone and a week of shit-talking with the numerous app fans I know. USU was a boring waste of a week. It's not like we are trying to get into to the NCAA tournament with quality wins. Beating App will bring me 1000x the satisfaction of any of the first three games we've played (except maybe BC as it is a division game but I still don't get too amped about playing post-FSU expansion teams really anyway).

I'm fine with playing an FCS and App or Charlotte in seasons we play ND or a top tier P5 opponent.

Our future schedule has us playing middle of the pack P5 teams (Ole Miss, Purdue, Vandy and unc). If we want someone bigger, it will have to come in a bowl game. I want ND, this year, in their house. Then next year, "Bobby the bikerider", in the 'ville (Lamar will be in the NFL then).

So we should prepare for away games with hostile crowds by playing away games with hostile crowds ? That's like preparing for cold weather by walking out in the cold weather.

No, it's like preparing for away ACC games with hostile crowds by playing away non-ACC games with hostile crowds. It's meant to be a tuneup to be better prepared for ACC games with hostile crowds like, for example, our next away game at Clemson. That's the only reason to schedule them at their place. I don't agree with the decision, but that's the only reason I can find.

Most likely upset? I don't think it will be against the big boys, though it would be a pleasant experience if it happens. I think the upsets this year will be at Appalachian State, at Georgia Tech and at Syracuse. Road games that determine whether Wake is a winning or losing team. Away games that have all too often ruined Deacon football fortunes. Win those three and finish off NCSU and Duke at home to finish the season. 8-4 overall, 5-3 in conference. I'd consider that real progress.

Most likely upset? I don't think it will be against the big boys, though it would be a pleasant experience if it happens. I think the upsets this year will be at Appalachian State, at Georgia Tech and at Syracuse. Road games that determine whether Wake is a winning or losing team. Away games that have all too often ruined Deacon football fortunes. Win those three and finish off NCSU and Duke at home to finish the season. 8-4 overall, 5-3 in conference. I'd consider that real progress.
Wake is favored over app and likely will be favored over Syracuse

How's App's defense? A poster on one of their boards said their defense would be the best we'd face this year. I assume the poster meant "thus far" or hasn't seen our schedule, but it caught my attention.

a poster on their board seriously said that? I would invite him to watch the Clemson Tigers play

App State's defense is really good at tackling the starting quarterback three yards out of bounds.

a poster on their board seriously said that? I would invite him to watch the Clemson Tigers play

Surely he meant thus far. I mean we've got FSU, Clemson, and State left. Hard to believe even the most clueless App fan could think their defense is on par with any of those.

Playing App when they were FCS made no sense. Now that they are FBS I definitely think it should be a long term series.

It still doesn't make sense.

Wake should play every year: an FCS school that is an easy win, a lower level FBS school that is an easy win, a FBS program in a recruiting area you want(UCF, USF, Old Dominion, Georgia State, Texas State), and a name brand Power 5 school that may be down. You don't play non name brand schools where you are 60-40 to win.

Back