• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Soccer Coach Jay Vidovich Gone

That was what I was getting at. Abrasive was not the right word. I don't think you would find a guy from the mid to late 90's that would label him a "players coach". Can't argue with his success though.

I think that's a fair way of putting it; a lot of those guys came to play for Walt or knew the program because of Walt. I think Jay knew he had to change some things around that might have gotten stale, as well as change how he was perceived by these guys, and I know that rubbed a lot of guys the wrong way, or was just tough to adjust to, and I'm not sure it was a natural transition for Jay to step up and be the man.

Jay is a fucking cock. Uncle Walt was 10x the man JV is.

Would think that WF would be top 10 (maybe top 5) soccer job as WF has won a NC, and can obviously attract top talent year in and year out. Jay had a lot of success at WF after never head coaching an NCAA soccer program and coming to WF as a very young assistant. Would think that rather than finding the next WF soccer coach, this search would be more akin to selecting the best among many strong alternatives.

Man.... Never seen so many long posts from El Chupe

Good bye Jay, best of luck, and thanks for the memories. You'll always be the first coach to win a national championship in soccer at Wake, and that's a pretty nice legacy to have.

Man.... Never seen so many long posts from El Chupe

I could probably write a book about Wake soccer, and I'm only sort of joking about that. Maybe I'll do it and it will be the 21st century A Fan's Notes. A whole five people will be interested.

Jay was a great coach and a great guy. Will be tough to replace

I'm confused, did Wellman hire Vid? I thought that hire was prior to Wellman.

Never mind, did some research and see that the Vidovich hire was about a year after Wellman became AD.

I could probably write a book about Wake soccer, and I'm only sort of joking about that. Maybe I'll do it and it will be the 21st century A Fan's Notes. A whole five people will be interested.

Oh man, I love A Fan's Notes​. Write it.

But Jay had been an assistant for about 10 years prior to that, so Wellman wasn't the first person to hire him to Wake, which is where people (including me) make the distinction, which I think is an important one.

Interesting. So hiring Dino Gaudio wasn't the first time Wellman had promoted an assistant after the head coach had died just before the season started. I wonder if J. Vidovich's success played a role in that later choice.

This really should be the only sentiment around here. He owes WF absolutely nothing. Maybe he just wants a change. You folks on the whole "step down" front have little clue what you are talking about. He absolutely WILL be surrounded by much greater soccer talent 24/7 (the club as a whole - it's not like American minor league sports where the major league team is X number of miles away - they all work together). I know personally that Jay loves WF and loves coaching collegiate soccer. Who can blame a lifelong soccer coach w/n an education system, however, for wanting to work with players a step away from the (help me here, soccer gurus) 8th (guess) best league in the world?

Jay has been invested in the bureaucracy of an academic institution for a very, very long time. More power to him for seeking out professional opportunities (in a great part of the country, no less). No more NCAA regs. No more following the academic progress of his players (of which he cared deeply). Perhaps he's ready to just be a coach. Hooking up with the Timbers? Awesome opportunity.

No one said he owes anyone anything. But it's fair to speculate about why he is leaving one of the top 10-15 college jobs for the minor leagues of the minor leagues. I don't know the guy, just speculating about why he may have left. I'm extremely grateful for what he's done at WFU and really enjoyed watching games during my time at MSD.

Does anyone think that da Luz would switch over from the girl's program to coach the men? It seems like a bizarre suggestion but I'm just throwing it out there

No one said he owes anyone anything. But it's fair to speculate about why he is leaving one of the top 10-15 college jobs for the minor leagues of the minor leagues. I don't know the guy, just speculating about why he may have left. I'm extremely grateful for what he's done at WFU and really enjoyed watching games during my time at MSD.

Do you think he's making less money?

Back