• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Tennis 2017-2018

It USC really hard to beat the same team three times in one season, after all.

Do they have have line judges in the NCAA? In my time watching yesterday UVA seemed to eagerly/quickly call ball 'out' that looked very close. Almost seemed like a tactic.

Do they have have line judges in the NCAA? In my time watching yesterday UVA seemed to eagerly/quickly call ball 'out' that looked very close. Almost seemed like a tactic.

Agreed. I yelled "show the god damn replay" about a hundred times at my computer.

No, chair umpires on each court, just like regular matches (though the singles and doubles championships may have line judges - I can't remember for certain).

The college coaches make the rules, and the ones they have come up with actually give umpires less of a role than they have in kids matches. In college, the umpire can only overrule a call if the player asks him to. In kids matches, the umpire can overrule incorrect calls on his/her own. The lack of line umpires can be seen as part of that same theme of the coaches wanting the players to have primary responsibility for the line calls (also cost concerns).

The ACC women's coaches decided to have the three officials who are not chair umpires for doubles (there are generally six officials assigned per dual match) stand at the far net post, like in volleyball, and the chair umpire can go to them if he's not sure of a call (usually on the far sideline)--in practice, this doesn't happen very often. The ACC men's coaches decided not to implement this rule.

In the SEC, they put that official at the back of the court looking down the far sideline in doubles (like in a pro match)--this can cause problems because a lot of officials who work college matches don't have a lot of experience as line umpires in pro matches and so it puts them in a situation that they're not completely comfortable with (calling a line is not as simple as just standing there and looking). And it's still an awkward procedure because the player has to appeal to the chair umpire, who then has to decide to appeal to the line umpire.

I think in the NCAA individual championships, they might have line umpires for the final rounds. I can see why people want them. But it's essentially impossible to do in singles during the regular season for cost reasons and I think there's a good argument for not having players and officials have something in the postseason that isn't used to for the rest of the year--especially when the chair umpires have no need for line umpires on almost all of the calls.

The college coaches make the rules, and the ones they have come up with actually give umpires less of a role than they have in kids matches. In college, the umpire can only overrule a call if the player asks him to. In kids matches, the umpire can overrule incorrect calls on his/her own. The lack of line umpires can be seen as part of that same theme of the coaches wanting the players to have primary responsibility for the line calls (also cost concerns).

The ACC women's coaches decided to have the three officials who are not chair umpires for doubles (there are generally six officials assigned per dual match) stand at the far net post, like in volleyball, and the chair umpire can go to them if he's not sure of a call (usually on the far sideline)--in practice, this doesn't happen very often. The ACC men's coaches decided not to implement this rule.

In the SEC, they put that official at the back of the court looking down the far sideline in doubles (like in a pro match)--this can cause problems because a lot of officials who work college matches don't have a lot of experience as line umpires in pro matches and so it puts them in a situation that they're not completely comfortable with (calling a line is not as simple as just standing there and looking). And it's still an awkward procedure because the player has to appeal to the chair umpire, who then has to decide to appeal to the line umpire.

I think in the NCAA individual championships, they might have line umpires for the final rounds. I can see why people want them. But it's essentially impossible to do in singles during the regular season for cost reasons and I think there's a good argument for not having players and officials have something in the postseason that isn't used to for the rest of the year--especially when the chair umpires have no need for line umpires on almost all of the calls.

When does the tournament bracket come out?

When does the tournament bracket come out?

Tomorrow. Will be interesting to see if the committee bumps UVA up to No. 1 because they beat us and Ohio State. I tend to think they won't since we beat UVA in the regular seasons, so we should go in as the No. 1 seed.

As some have mentioned, this might not be a great thing because TCU is the likely No. 4 and they are red hot. It might be better to be the No. 2, facing a possible semi with No. 3 Ohio State

#1 seed. Host UNCW, Kentucky and Georgia State

Stanford #16 seed, Cal and UNC #8 and #9
USC and UCLA #4 and #5.

TCU #6, VA #2 OSU #3

#1 seed. Host UNCW, Kentucky and Georgia State

Stanford #16 seed, Cal and UNC #8 and #9
USC and UCLA #4 and #5.

TCU #6, VA #2 OSU #3

Seems even more favorable than we could reasonably expect. UVA, OSU and TCU all on the other side of the draw. Fully expect WF to play UNC in the quarters.

After coming so close to winning it all in soccer, I really hope we win the whole thing in tennis.
Amazing that we could have possible won 2 national championships this year.

After coming so close to winning it all in soccer, I really hope we win the whole thing in tennis.
Amazing that we could have possible won 2 national championships this year.

Wake actually has won two national championships this year, with Petros winning the ITA singles championship and Mansouri/Seraphim winning the national indoor championship. I'm with you and your overall point though.

Seems even more favorable than we could reasonably expect. UVA, OSU and TCU all on the other side of the draw. Fully expect WF to play UNC in the quarters.

Agreed, though it is tough to have UNC as the 9 seed in our draw when they are ranked 4/5 in the country and have only lost to us and UVA (twice).

Master Lineups for NCAAs are out and we are switching Dennis and Christian. I like it and would have preferred it in the NCAA. Not picking one over other, just like the match-ups it provides.

The last two chances to watch the #1 Wake Forest men at home will be Friday May 12th at 5:00 PM and Saturday May 13th at 5:00 PM (assuming they win on Friday). The Wake women will play Friday May 12th at 10:00 AM against Texas in Columbia, SC.

ITA rankings came out yesterday. Wake men remain #1, although their lead over UVA shrunk quite a bit (as expected). Petros is #5, Mansouri #13, Gojo #45, and Seraphim #84. In doubles Mansouri/Seraphim are #4. The Wake women are #33. Guerin is #60 and Davis #89. Guerin/Ulyashchenko are #80.

The Wake men will have 3 competitors in the NCAA singles (Petros/Mansouri/Gojo) and one team in doubles (Mansouri/Seraphim). The women will have 1 competitor in singles (Guerin).

All-ACC accolades were announced. Wake men were the only school with 3 first-teamers (Petros/Mansouri/Gojo) - UNC had 2 and UVA 1. Seraphim was 3rd team. Guerin was 2nd team.

WF and Texas women are in a tight match. WF won the doubles point. WF won #5 singles, Texas won #6.

Match is currently 2-1 WF with:

#1, #2 and #3 in the 3rd set. WF is down a set and a break in at #4.

WF and Texas women are in a tight match. WF won the doubles point. WF won #5 singles, Texas won #6.

Match is currently 2-1 WF with:

#1, #2 and #3 in the 3rd set. WF is down a set and a break in at #4.

It's likely to come down to the 1 singles match.

Back