• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman to retire?

greekdeac2011

Reaction score
I have no real source for this, but a close friend of my family's, who's a wake alum with ties to board members, said the word going around is Wellman is set to retire from Wake and Bzzz is going with him.

This could be completely bogus, but I was wondering if anyone else had heard anything like this. She seemed pretty confident about it. I asked her when this would happen and she did not know exactly.

Amazing how many people in the last 5 days have talked to someone who knows someone on the BOT. Swear I've seen at least 15 of these posts where people are serious.

Sorry, I don't believe you.

Well, she's pretty well connected to both Wake and the Winston community at large and has generally known things in the past before they happened.

I don't know if I believe it, but Wellman has been around for a long time, so maybe there is merit to this.

I don't buy it myself, mainly because I think the relationship between Bz and Ron has been overstated by Wake fans. It's not like they were frat bros who worked together for 35 years. I just don't think their bond is do tight that they'd pinky-swear to retire at the same time. Doesn't pass the sniff test IMO.
And as much as I dislike them both and want them gone, I think having both vacancies open at the same time would preclude us from making a good basketball hire UNLESS Buddie is immediately promoted. I sure as hell don't want Hatch making a basketball hire.

Amazing how many people in the last 5 days have talked to someone who knows someone on the BOT. Swear I've seen at least 15 of these posts where people are serious.

I talked to someone today who said he knows a BOT member who indicated [Redacted] would soon be out. So make it 16 posts!

And as much as I dislike them both and want them gone, I think having both vacancies open at the same time would preclude us from making a good basketball hire UNLESS Buddie is immediately promoted. I sure as hell don't want Hatch making a basketball hire.

This. I imagine we want to act fairly quickly in locking up our new coach. If we have to fill the AD spot first, that really pushes the schedule way back.

i fully expect wellman to make the the next basketball hire and help choose his successor; he wants his fingerprints on both. And don't forget, Hatch is getting up there in age as well...

I believe there is truth to Wellman retiring soon, but I have been led to believe the timeline is more like 24 months than at the end of this season.

Hatch is getting up there in years too. He's 68 now. I suspect we'll see Wellman go, and then Hatch next.

I believe there is truth to Wellman retiring soon, but I have been led to believe the timeline is more like 24 months than at the end of this season.

Hatch is getting up there in years too. He's 68 now. I suspect we'll see Wellman go, and then Hatch next.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeaase?

yup, that's the word on the street.

I have no real source for this, but a close friend of my family's, who's a wake alum with ties to board members, said the word going around is Wellman is set to retire from Wake and Bzzz is going with him.

This could be completely bogus, but I was wondering if anyone else had heard anything like this. She seemed pretty confident about it. I asked her when this would happen and she did not know exactly.

Most on here wish and hope you are correct...

Good news!

Back