• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman to retire?

BabyDeac is making the best posts in the history of this board today.

Do those of you in the know expect Mike Buddie to succeed Wellman? If so, do you like that plan? It sounds like he did an excellent job helping to land Clawson.

I only know him in passing and via mutual friends, but he seems like a very nice guy to me that has a good head on his shoulders.

That said, I'm so disillusioned with anything that Wellman has touched, that I'd prefer a clean house after Wellman is gone. There is always some truth to "you are the company you keep."

Do those of you in the know expect Mike Buddie to succeed Wellman? If so, do you like that plan? It sounds like he did an excellent job helping to land Clawson.

Yes, and yes.

Put it this way - if Mike were AD right now, I legitimately believe we would be loading up a jumbo Brinks truck and parking it on Gregg Marshall's lawn this spring.

Bzz gone - yes
Wellman retiring - not right now
Hatch - longer time left than wellman

Buddie new AD - unlikely

much truth here ...

Absolutely. Wellman wants Clawson and the next basketball coach to be his legacy.

BTW, if by some bizarro chance that Wellman would leave, there is zero chance the new guy would ever consider keeping [Redacted]. There's a better chance Donaldross would give up watching sports, gambling, booze and all women

Yes, and yes.

Put it this way - if Mike were AD right now, I legitimately believe we would be loading up a jumbo Brinks truck and parking it on Gregg Marshall's lawn this spring.

Well, hopefully he will plead his case. If he really is the AD-in-waiting and will inherit the new head coach, he should have some say.

The fact that he won a World Series playing for the Yankees gives me hope that he might shun the whole LOWF attitude. The Yankees are about as far away from LOWF as possible.

I hate to tell you guys this but bz is coming back. After the last BOT meeting i rummaged through the trash can at a trustees house. Sure enough... Paydirt ... There was the agenda. Right after discussions about shutting down the KA house and whether to go back to not allowing dancing on campus was a discussion and vote on retaining bzz beside which was handwritten as "passed". So there it is in writing. Sorry

I hate to tell you guys this but bz is coming back. After the last BOT meeting i rummaged through the trash can at a trustees house. Sure enough... Paydirt ... There was the agenda. Right after discussions about shutting down the KA house and whether to go back to not allowing dancing on campus was a discussion and vote on retaining bzz beside which was handwritten as "pissed". So there it is in writing. Sorry

FIFY

I hate to tell you guys this but bz is coming back. After the last BOT meeting i rummaged through the trash can at a trustees house. Sure enough... Paydirt ... There was the agenda. Right after discussions about shutting down the KA house and whether to go back to not allowing dancing on campus was a discussion and vote on retaining bzz beside which was handwritten as "passed". So there it is in writing. Sorry

Only comment, if this is true, then look for all hell to break loose...after four years, even Wellman should know when you have a loser. Wake will be the laughing stock of college athletics...

Yes, and yes.

Yeah, gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you here. Buddie might be a nice guy, but he is one of Wellman's guys, just like Faricloth and the others. They have all been involved with what Wellman has been spewing the last 4 years. Buddie has never been an AD, never worked at any other school. Just because he played MLB doesn't mean anything when it comes to running a successful Athletic Dept. If you want to hire a Wake guy with AD experience, John Currie the AD at KSU is the obvious choice. There needs to be a clean house of Wellman's guys once he is gone.

Gotta think that John Currie would be at (or near) the top of the list. No idea if he would be interested in coming back. Nothing against Buddie, but John has gotten some great experience and is doing good work at K-State.

Buddie might ultimately be the best candidate, but I really hope when Wellman steps down, Hatch initiates a nationwide search in good faith and conducts legitimate interviews with multiple candidates. This AD has been in place for a long time, and, to state the obvious, when that's the case it's easy for folks to get entrenched in the established way of doing things such that they aren't able to think outside the box or consider new ideas. Hiring Buddie could simply lead to the continuation of all current processes. Very serious consideration needs to be given to bringing in outside blood. Again, maybe after doing so Buddie proves himself through the interview process to be the best candidate, but if Hatch simply elevates Buddie because he's Wellman's #2 and it's his "turn," that's a terrible way to run things.

Buddie might ultimately be the best candidate, but I really hope when Wellman steps down, Hatch initiates a nationwide search in good faith and conducts legitimate interviews with multiple candidates. This AD has been in place for a long time, and, to state the obvious, when that's the case it's easy for folks to get entrenched in the established way of doing things such that they aren't able to think outside the box or consider new ideas. Hiring Buddie could simply lead to the continuation of all current processes. Very serious consideration needs to be given to bringing in outside blood. Again, maybe after doing so Buddie proves himself through the interview process to be the best candidate, but if Hatch simply elevates Buddie because he's Wellman's #2 and it's his "turn," that's a terrible way to run things.

Agree, Nepotism at its finest!

Totally missing the Hatch / Wellman total lack of relationship. They don't speak. When a change happens it won't be a Wellman relationship.

Totally missing the Hatch / Wellman total lack of relationship. They don't speak. When a change happens it won't be a Wellman relationship.

What caused the relationship to sour/disappear? Bz? Academics?

Back