• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman weighs in

Reaction score
While the fans are screaming for change, Grobe is feeling no added pressure from his boss to turn things around in one week. Ron Wellman said Tuesday that he thinks the team is a win away from getting its issues in order.

“We need a shot in the arm,” the AD said, pointing to the fans’ displeasure. “The marquee programs are the ones that can give a fan base a shot in the arm. And that’s what everyone views the program through, the lens of football and basketball. We need to do better, for sure.”

http://www.news-record.com/sports/a...3-93f7-0019bb30f31a.html#.UjmmP-aixJY.twitter

“We want to be the best throwing team that happens to run the option,” Grobe said.

Facepalm

Very good article by Hardin with some surprisingly good analysis.

"Wake has a senior quarterback, Tanner Price, a four-year starter who has a slew of seniors around him. If ever the Deacons were going to be able to play the kind of football Grobe wants his program to play, this should’ve been that year. But we’ve seen this before. Grobe has been known to scrap entire summers, going from spread option football to a power-I in one week. If the Deacs had an open date this week, you could see Grobe and his staff going into seclusion for a couple of days and coming out with a new twist on the season. But with a trip to Army looming and a parade-ground Wishbone to prepare for, this isn’t the week for grand changes."

"Presbyterian showed how to stop Wake by playing man-to-man defense with a deep free safety and run-stopping strong safety stringing out the option. It was an “uh-oh” moment when the Deacons coaches realized their small and fast wide receivers couldn’t block strong safeties and linebackers.

So little Wake Forest has a problem. It’s not a public-relations problem. It’s not a basketball problem. It’s not a fan-base problem.

It’s an inside-football problem. Those are a coach’s biggest nightmare.

Wake Forest will deal with the big picture as it comes. Right now, the Deacs are dealing with deep issues within."

But he also throws something like this in there which just about made me tune out the rest of the article

"The little Baptist college that has such a small margin for error anyway is already 1-2 with the hardest part of the slate still to play."

OK, so for football, Wellman thinks that one win will cure all that ails the fans. Yet, when the basketball team was winning, and winning is supposed to cure all, the problems underneath were so bad that he had to scrap everything and wins didn't matter, as long as the team did "things the right way".

He is a bad politician. Speaks out of both sides of his mouth.

But he also throws something like this in there which just about made me tune out the rest of the article

"The little Baptist college that has such a small margin for error anyway is already 1-2 with the hardest part of the slate still to play."

It was an appropriate dig in this context.

doggystyle.gif

My advice is to give what Wellman says about as much weight as we do what comes out of our politician's mouths, which is basically none. All Wellman does is spin.

Wellman has given Wake fans a shot in the arm alright. Cyanide for most.

Turn things around in one week?

Is that a fucking joke? It's Wake Forest. Wandering in the fucking desert for 40 years has shit-nothing on us.

HP- you're a nasty mofo. I hate that I find that so damn funny.

Turn things around in one week?

Is that a fucking joke? It's Wake Forest. Wandering in the fucking desert for 40 years has shit-nothing on us.

HP- you're a nasty mofo. I hate that I find that so damn funny.

I know poor pouch, I bet he was never allowed to tap that again.

OK, so for football, Wellman thinks that one win will cure all that ails the fans. Yet, when the basketball team was winning, and winning is supposed to cure all, the problems underneath were so bad that he had to scrap everything and wins didn't matter, as long as the team did "things the right way".

He is a bad politician. Speaks out of both sides of his mouth.

If one win against a bad team is so great, what is a loss?

"Presbyterian showed how to stop Wake by playing man-to-man defense with a deep free safety and run-stopping strong safety stringing out the option. It was an “uh-oh” moment when the Deacons coaches realized their small and fast wide receivers couldn’t block strong safeties and linebackers."

You know your scheme is bad when Presbyterian shows that you're not physical enough to execute it.

"Presbyterian showed how to stop Wake by playing man-to-man defense with a deep free safety and run-stopping strong safety stringing out the option. It was an “uh-oh” moment when the Deacons coaches realized their small and fast wide receivers couldn’t block strong safeties and linebackers."

You know your scheme is bad when Presbyterian shows that you're not physical enough to execute it.

Or that they didn't have game tape of us running it before.

And your defense isn't strong enough to help you realize it in practice.

And your defense isn't strong enough to help you realize it in practice.

Crap, that's the thing. From all indications from the Spring game to the preseason scrimmages were that is wasn't working against our defense, so why would any of them think it would against other teams??????

On the plus side, this is pretty much the closest Wellman has come to admitting there's a problem.

Back