• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wellman weighs in

On the plus side, this is pretty much the closest Wellman has come to admitting there's a problem.

Yeah, but he's no where near admitting that he is a big part of the problem.

"Presbyterian showed how to stop Wake by playing man-to-man defense with a deep free safety and run-stopping strong safety stringing out the option. It was an “uh-oh” moment when the Deacons coaches realized their small and fast wide receivers couldn’t block strong safeties and linebackers."

You know your scheme is bad when Presbyterian shows that you're not physical enough to execute it.

Grobe has a basic misunderstanding/archaic view as to how the game of football works - you don't run in order to set up the pass, you pass in order to set up the run. The teams that are regularly successful spread the field out by throwing the ball and then grind your teeth out with a running attack once they've established a lead.

Seriously? We're one win away from being back on track? So based off of this article, should we assume a "Oh Heaven's yes! I couldn't be happier!" from Ron next week if we beat Army this weekend?

Seriously? We're one win away from being back on track? So based off of this article, should we assume a "Oh Heaven's yes! I couldn't be happier!" from Ron next week if we beat Army this weekend?

WATCH OUT CLEMSON! WE'RE COMING FOR YOU!

Grobe has a basic misunderstanding/archaic view as to how the game of football works - you don't run in order to set up the pass, you pass in order to set up the run.
In fairness, that can go either way. But IMO a team has a better chance starting with their strength which in our case is a passing game. I have no problems with trying to run the ball either, but we should have a base pass offense instead of a base option one we can't execute. The Presby comment was spot on, it was a bad scheme if THEY can defend it. It seems the fans understand what to do more than the coaches.

It's almost like the coaches read the criticisms about not running the ball like we did years ago, with all that mis-direction in the obit, and then got LAZY and just installed an option as if it were the same.

And what's mind boggling to me is the point of red shirting players is that they get bigger and learn a system for an extra year....THEN they EXCEL at it because they're bigger and have done it an extra year. This is especially true on the offensive side of the ball with the OL. To not do that for 4 years but then throw a totally new system at a bunch of 5th year seniors is just bizarre. I haven't understood that for years and it's finally caught up with Grobe. He's not even taking advantage of the red-shirting system, which is probably why he pulled so many this year.

Epic fail IMO.

If we lose this week, do we win more than 2 games this year? Looking at the schedule, and considering a 1-3 team's mentality and Lobo's playcalling, I don't see us beating State, Maryland, Miami, Clemson, Florida State, or Vanderbilt. MAYBE Syracuse or Duke, because they're both pretty bad too, but Syracuse is on the road. Army's the weakest game we have left and if we can't beat them, we're going after a 2-10/3-9 season.

If we lose this week, do we win more than 2 games this year? Looking at the schedule, and considering a 1-3 team's mentality and Lobo's playcalling, I don't see us beating State, Maryland, Miami, Clemson, Florida State, or Vanderbilt. MAYBE Syracuse or Duke, because they're both pretty bad too, but Syracuse is on the road. Army's the weakest game we have left and if we can't beat them, we're going after a 2-10/3-9 season.

Since Army is our weakest game left, even if we beat them we might only win 2 games this year.

I don't see it. I respect Army a ton and their system causes problems for sure, but aren't they the worst team we've got left on the schedule? I guess you could look at games like Syracuse and Duke as other possibilities, but if we go 1-3 in a stretch where a lot were thinking we'd go 4-0 I really don't see see us winning maybe one more game this season and that may be optimistic.

If Boone is back for Duke, no way Wake beats them. With Boone, Duke's Read option is run very efficiently ie. No penalties, good pitches, runs up the middle not to the sidelines.

you also have to factor in the very real possibility of players checking out and mailing it in down the stretch. gotta believe grobe is getting close to losing the locker room

Wellman just marking time till retirement is announced...the Empire is collapsing!

If we lose this game we won't win another game all year. If we win this game, we might sneak out Syracuse, but not likely. No way we beat Duke. We are looking at 3 wins tops this year, with a strong possibility of a 1 win season.

If we lose this game we won't win another game all year. If we win this game, we might sneak out Syracuse, but not likely. No way we beat Duke. We are looking at 3 wins tops this year, with a strong possibility of a 1 win season.

#HistoricallyCompetitive

If we lose to Army and then of course get blown out by Clemson and fall to 1-4, I have to think Grobe will start losing the locker room.

Probably have a better chance at home against State and Duke than we do on the road at Cuse.

If we lose to Army and then of course get blown out by Clemson and fall to 1-4, I have to think Grobe will start losing the locker room.

If that happens I'm pretty sure the entire coaching staff had better have their resumes prepped and movers booked.

If that happens I'm pretty sure the entire coaching staff had better have their resumes prepped and movers booked.

At 99 percent of the FBS schools you're right, here at LOWF, I'm not 100 percent sure.

doggystyle.gif

Didn't this just take place this past weekend in New Orleans?

Back