• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

I would give Katz every opportunity to be a starting corner outfielder. A few Wake parents have mentioned that he is one of the hardest workers in the team.
I can’t say I know anything directly about the work ethic of Katz but wouldn’t at all be surprised at what you say. Loved the story from him this year about the team Polaroid journal …..seemed like a super great teammate especially one who was a top 10 NC recruit coming in, has only seen spot duty so far and could easily be sulking some. Would love to see him finish his time at Wake with a bang.

The interview with Nicholson was a highlight of the postseason. Very impressive and she makes the program and university look top notch.
She was very impressive. My favorite part was when they asked her if other teams had tried to lure her away. Hopefully she stays at Wake.

He’s obviously been sidelined by Bennett and Costello plus Cecere prior to his injury. Sad he just couldn’t quite get the O back.

We need to put up some bleachers in left field for frats or something. Call it the "church pews"or something....or the "Couch Pews". Raise the wall a few feet, and add bleachers and/or a deck. There is plenty of room. Cut down the trees between the dirt road and the research building if need be. I assume the hitting lab will be built down the left field line close to the pitching lab. So the only place to add seats will be in the outfield.

When do players have to choose their new schools? Is there a cut off to be eligible? Must be enrolled by the 1st day of the fall semester?

Any word on Donay? Are we sniffing around anyone else?
My brother, the section will be called "the Cushion" and the frat stars that sit there will be called the "Throw Pillows."

We are a baseball school now, lets up our posting game.

Assuming a weekend rotation of Hartle, Burns and Massey (which may or may not be as it plays out as there's a chance Massey stays in the pen):

Appears the only way to get latest is the team ones….what I see so far.

(7): Rhett Lowder, RHP, Wake Forest
Pick value: $6,275,200
Signing bonus: $5,700,000

Lowder signed for nearly $600,000 under his slot value on July 14. He just finished his junior year at Wake Forest, where he set single-season records for wins (15) and strikeouts (143). His 15 wins were the most in Division I, while the 143 strikeouts were fourth most. Lowder also had a 1.83 ERA and a 6.0 strikeout-to-walk ratio (143 K, 24 BB) in 120 1/3 innings.

3 (92): Teddy McGraw, RHP, Wake Forest -- $600,000 (Pick value $736,400)
The 21-year-old was another under-slot sign. He continues to recover from his second Tommy John surgery, which he underwent earlier this year, just before his junior season.

6 (170): Bennett Lee, C, Wake Forest -- (Pick value: $342,400)
Has signed; terms not disclosed yet

6 (174): Camden Minacci, RHP, Wake Forest -- $328,500 (Pick value: $331,000)
Minacci, considered one of the best closers in college baseball in 2023, signed for nearly the full recommended value of his pick
Adding to above

3 (84): Seth Keener, RHP, Wake Forest (Pick value: $833,900)
Agreed to deal, but terms were not yet disclosed. Keener went 8-2 with a 2.69 ERA for the Demon Deacons this past season. He started eight of those 23 appearances, striking out 94 and walking 20 over 70 1/3 innings. He is viewed as a starter by the White Sox.

getting falco is huge, sounds like we beat out some big name sec programs (uf and the cocks) to land him. obviously would imagine the muscara angle helped. workhouse out of the pen and he looks like a cool dude too.

getting another arm (i think levi huesman from ccu still makes sense, no sauces) would be nice but worst case i think we’d be okay in the pen with what we’ve got. we have wade, ariola, leffew (top ranked recruit), plus johnston and gervase as lefty arms.

even if nobody breaks out, falco, roland, wade isn’t as good of a backend trio as minacci, massey, roland, but it’s pretty good.

replacing keeners place in the bulk role is gonna be tougher, that’s where another transfer like sullivan or massey (true frosh starters) would help and why i keep bringing up huesman.

but while it’s hard to predict what you will get from freshmen, given how highly touted the arms are (leffew, morningstar, shawn, koshy in particular) you’ve gotta assume one or two will be ready to contribute.

huesman committed to vandy.

100%. But until that work is put in it's meaningless. We always talk about "getting someone in the lab". Reality is the lab doesn't help everyone. and I think it's important to understand it's not some magic bullet
I mean, it kind of is if you are talking pitching mechanics. You can throw bullpens every other day with the wrong arm slot or grip and not get much of anywhere. But if someone tells/shows you the adjustment(s) that make the pitches more effective, you can potentially throw the same or less bullpens and get a better result. It is different than hitting where you need the reps no matter what.

So, is the point that the WF pitching lab wouldn't turn 50 cent into an effective pitcher?

Some notes from D1baseball on pitching prospects from the USA tryouts:

Not surviving the cut down to a 31-man roster for the Chinese Taipei series, there were several surprises that included a potential first-rounder in 2024 as Josh Hartle (Wake Forest) was rusty during the trials. The 6-foot-5, 200-pound lefty was up to 93 with an 82-84 slider and a hard 87-89 cutter. He has much better pitchability than he showed during the trials (1 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 2 BB, 1 SO). In 2023 for the Demon Deacons, Hartle posted a 11-2 record with a 2.81 ERA, 24 BB, 140 SO in 102 innings. He projects to become at least a mid-rotation starter in the major leagues as he possesses all of the ingredients for more velo with his size, delivery, athleticism and arm speed

Michael Massey, 2024, Wake Forest- Nasty Massey is an electric-armed reliever with filthy stuff. His fastball sits in the 93-97 mph range with plenty of ride. His breaking ball lives in the low-80s with late, tight tilt. As Wake’s closer last spring, Massey struck out 76 in 41.2 innings. A move into the starting rotation next season for the Deacs would further elevate his draft value that currently sits towards the end of Day One.

Back