• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

When can we breathe a sigh of relief on our incoming Frosh?

Keener to White Sox at 84.

These are going so fast. I answer an email and 3 more players are gone.
And a couple of local possible starting points for him in Kannapolis for low A and Winston at high A…..plus Charlotte is Triple A

When can we breathe a sigh of relief on our incoming Frosh?
Well I just looked and the Lowe guy went in Round 11 last year and never made it. Looks like he signed well above slot though for $400k according to Spotrac. But obviously everyone‘s personal situation is different as is every team.

yeah, i think it's impossible to know for sure.

anyone who gets selected in the top 10 is very likely to have already had some sort of agreement with the team drafting them. there's no slot money at stake after the 10th round, so obviously you feel better about them, but you never know what extra money a team might end up with.

I think the concern with the MLB team necessarily includes the minor league development. Not a lot of success stories there. Of course they could have made improvements. I will admit to not being up to date on the Rockies developmental staff.

They have not. They are a dumpster fire. They had 3 people all over 65 in their draft room. Dick is a dick. Knows how to make the place look great and has created arguably the best way to take in a drink sports wise, but the actual product is garbage and somehow is only getting worse every year.

While we wait for Hawke and Minacci, I was checking back in on USA baseball and Massey and King after a week of vacation.

Looks like King has continued to start at 2B and been hovering around .300 with several multi hit games and a couple of triples. Massey has had a rough go of it in his last 2 outings on July 4th and 8th.

July 4 game

July 8 game

Former Alabama starter Holman who is in the portal had a strong start last night. Any idea who is in the mix for him? Is Wake?

very nice for lee, 170th overall. not totally surprising, it was super puzzling as to why he was ranked so low on prospect lists after coming into the year so highly touted and having a really strong season.

cade denton just went, i think he was the other top relief arm in the class along with minacci.

Bennett Lee to the Tigers in the 6th
Wow….as we were waiting for Hawke and Minacci. But that is about where I saw Lee on many preseason boards before he disappeared despite having a good season.

So, how do these contracts work? Each pick appears to have a pre-set value. Is that the overall contract value for the player drafted there? So Lee for example at pick #170, it says the value is $342k. Is that guaranteed money? Over how many years? I just am not familiar with how this works...

So, how do these contracts work? Each pick appears to have a pre-set value. Is that the overall contract value for the player drafted there? So Lee for example at pick #170, it says the value is $342k. Is that guaranteed money? Over how many years? I just am not familiar with how this works...
Slotted signing bonus. he'll get paid something like 28k per year unless he negotiates some type of contract (unlikely)

The draft is always a weird time as a college baseball fan, because I never want to root for guys to fall in the draft, but getting them back to school would help us win. That said, having Tommy back next season would be nice.

I suppose it’s easier to think like this for a guy like Hawke, who will have another chance next year at a real signing bonus

It's basically a guideline for what that draft slot signing bonus is worth. So, Lee could say, I want $350k to sign or I'm going back to Wake. The team has the total value of all of its draft pick slots in its pocket, so to pay Cam that extra amount, they would have to pay someone else less.

Back