• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Fans Actions Will Scare Away Coaches

Having passionate fans is a pro. But you can't deny that the way the "lunatic fringe" has been painted in the national media is a definite con, or at least a question on the mind of a potential coach. How soon will those fans turn on me? Will I have the chance to bring in my own recruiting class and play with those guys before I'm expected to bring the team back to national prominence.

If the AD doesn't run with the "lunatic fringe" idiocy to cover for its bullshit, it's a nonstory.

That said, it's still a nonstory.

To land one of the coaches on our list (especially to land one at the TOP of our list) Wellman is going to have to SELL Wake Forest basketball to a coach. The actions of our fans are a "CON" on any potential list of pros and cons. It's undeniable.

Nah - ask Clawson how well he was received. The next coach has the chance to be extra elevated because of our elation to be free of Bzz.

I don't think it will have any effect on the coaching search, but I also don't think it was a great look for the university. Nationally, no one gives a shit if Wake fans feel like they were slighted or lied to by the AD. And the dynamics are too complex for anyone not associated with Wake to take the time to understand. But they look at students celebrating a coach getting fired and think it comes off as a bit...entitled. Just MO.

On the other hand being 17-51 in a major conference over the last four seasons is not a great look either.

Anybody who thinks that there is a serious "lunatic fringe" portion of the fan base that is going to be a con to any realistic potential coach is a moron.

This has zero impact on a coaching search. None at all, not minimal, not negligible, none, zero.

You're right about that. If a prospective coach finds out about it he'll just chalk it up to there being douchebags at Wake Forest. Same as anywhere.

WFU made the announcement on Thursday so they could hide behind the NCAA tournament. 98% of the basketball writers in the world wrote about the NCAA's. [Redacted] "resignation" was crawl information on ESPNU.

Nationally the "lunatic fringe" is a non-story. Get off your high horse.

WFU made the announcement on Thursday so they could hide behind the NCAA tournament. 98% of the basketball writers in the world wrote about the NCAA's. [Redacted] "resignation" was crawl information on ESPNU.

Correct.

If a coach can't handle us, then he can't handle the ACC. Bzz is proof of that.

Nah - ask Clawson how well he was received. The next coach has the chance to be extra elevated because of our elation to be free of Bzz.

[Redacted] is the only coach I can recall where the fanbase responded with "WTF?!?" There was excitement with Caldwell, Grobe, and Prosser set the standard for getting fans fired up. Wellman has it in him, he just has to sack up. If the next bball coach comes in and can bring the excitement Skip and Clawson did, he'll earn his own reception. Especially for the last part of Azdeac's post.

If a coach can't handle us, then he can't handle the ACC. Bzz is proof of that.

Yeah Wake's fan base is not vicious. Not even mildly so. Carolina? Sure. But the next coach at Wake will have a long leash and a lot of fan goodwill, as long as it's not some completely off the wall hire.

If one of the favorites listed is the next coach...He will be treated as Ike was when he liberated Paris during WWII.

If one of the favorites listed is the next coach...He will be treated as Ike was when he liberated Paris during WWII.

De Gualle took all the credit three days earlier though.

Ha ha ha

If anything, if RW gets us one of the top 3 choices, he'll be treated like a rock star! We're starved for a quality coach!

I guess that could be considered as scary but not in the way the OP has considered it.

This is from a guy that works in the media, Brendan.

You're just flat our wrong. Stop making yourself look foolish again and again.

Look at what's happening with Shaka now! Do you see why this is happening?

I agree that nationally it is a non story. But to the Wake Forest basketball community, and anyone who is considering joining it.... it is part of the story.

Hope it doesn't affect our coaching search.

"Sorry, Ron, I'd definitely come to Wake Forest - but last week, dozens of teenagers threw toilet paper into those sticks you all call trees. That's too intimidating, I don't think I could handle an environment like that."

Back