• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Fans Actions Will Scare Away Coaches

I'm telling you right now, this is going to be the spin out of Wellman's office if we don't land a big name. Weak sauce. All Wellman has to do in private conversations with coaching candidates is paint the disappointment of the VAST MAJORITY of the fanbase in Buzz as understandable and acknowledge his mistake in hiring him and keeping him on for so long. The fans never catch wind of this admission and the potential "problem with the fanbase" is addressed right there and resolved.

If I'm Shaka the question I want answered is, why was Dino fired? Shaka is now, and will continue to be, a winner. Ron Wellman fired Wake's last winning basketball coach after just three years and two consecutive NCAAT appearances.

If I'm Shaka the question I want answered is, why was Dino fired? Shaka is now, and will continue to be, a winner. Ron Wellman fired Wake's last winning basketball coach after just three years and two consecutive NCAAT appearances.

That's a good question, and Shaka is smart enough to ask for that clarification.

You didn't see it when Wake was bad at football either. UNC had one awful year in basketball and their fans, and even their players, were in revolt. Four years of what we just endured at Wake in basketball would have resulted in death threats, burning buildings and riots at Duke or UNC.

this one

Let's face it. Wake kept Buzz around because Hatch influenced the decision and modeled it off of what he saw at Notre Dame. The whole concept is to let every coach get 4 years at a program and keep everything above board. That's largely how ND runs its athletic dept.

Also consider everything Hatch has done on the academic front. His goal is to move Wake into the top 20 based on the same formula he saw at ND. The only difference is he isn't handicapped by having to appease a bunch of super-conservative religious alumni that donate oodles of money. He particularly amped up the focus on our business school and medical school. Those are two huge draws for high-achieving high schoolers. ND tries to sell its unique brand to students and places a huge focus on its business school and has even carved out a deal recently to bring a medical school to South Bend. After all, not many schools can say they are small, highly ranked private schools that competes in the BCS. It's a short list:

Vandy - never achieved as well in sports as Wake, but a very similar school.
Duke - until this year, never had a good football team. Better in academics and similar in terms of uniqueness
ND - probably the closest comparison in terms of athletic competitiveness (albeit with a far better football program) and uniqueness, but is in a crappy location
Rice - never competitive in sports
BC - has occasional blips in football
Stanford - good comparison, but fan support pales in comparison
Cuse - crappy location, far inferior in terms of academics
Northwestern - no real sports history with them.

Crap.

Clicked on the link and gave the guy another view, before reading the further into the thread. Well, I wrote him a scathing review anyways, for what it's worth.

Let's face it. Wake kept Buzz around because Hatch influenced the decision and modeled it off of what he saw at Notre Dame. The whole concept is to let every coach get 4 years at a program and keep everything above board. That's largely how ND runs its athletic dept.

Also consider everything Hatch has done on the academic front. His goal is to move Wake into the top 20 based on the same formula he saw at ND. The only difference is he isn't handicapped by having to appease a bunch of super-conservative religious alumni that donate oodles of money. He particularly amped up the focus on our business school and medical school. Those are two huge draws for high-achieving high schoolers. ND tries to sell its unique brand to students and places a huge focus on its business school and has even carved out a deal recently to bring a medical school to South Bend. After all, not many schools can say they are small, highly ranked private schools that competes in the BCS. It's a short list:

Duke - until this year, never had a good football team. Better in academics and similar in terms of uniqueness
ND - probably the closest comparison in terms of athletic competitiveness (albeit with a far better football program) and uniqueness, but is in a crappy location

Hatch sucks.

Piss off Notre Dame Butthead.

Man, this guy really sucks on Twitter and at his job. He is just trying to screw with WF people. He thinks that Wake should not try to get better, that Wake is a bad basketball job, that Wake has no money, that no "good" coach would want to come to Wake, and that the fans are asinine for even exploring the opportunities of getting a top coach (Marshall, Smart, etc) plus the whole list of stuff that he did in relation to the [Redacted] era at Wake. I really wanted to get a big coach before because I love WF and want to see good basketball, but now I also want to see a good hire so I can troll him on Twitter until I get blocked like some of my other fellow WF brethren.

The guy lives off of clicks, and knows that we are easily baited right now. Welcome to 2014, this is the new print media.

If our next coach has a better resume than Bzz, more charisma than Bzz, and wins more games than Bzz, what does he have to worry about? So that includes 98% of D-1A coaches

Seriously, look at how we have treated our last 3-4 coaches- we are not a tough fanbase. Jeff freaking [Redacted] was just THAT BAD

If Turkey U can score a Buzz Williams, RW should be sitting pretty to get a big splash hire as well.

To land one of the coaches on our list (especially to land one at the TOP of our list) Wellman is going to have to SELL Wake Forest basketball to a coach. The actions of our fans are a "CON" on any potential list of pros and cons. It's undeniable.

To land one of the coaches on our list (especially to land one at the TOP of our list) Wellman is going to have to SELL Wake Forest basketball to a coach. The actions of our fans are a "CON" on any potential list of pros and cons. It's undeniable.

No. Just that.

No.

That is not true, no matter how many times you post it.

lolz no. fans who care about their program? huge con.

lolz no. fans who care about their program? huge con.

Having passionate fans is a pro. But you can't deny that the way the "lunatic fringe" has been painted in the national media is a definite con, or at least a question on the mind of a potential coach. How soon will those fans turn on me? Will I have the chance to bring in my own recruiting class and play with those guys before I'm expected to bring the team back to national prominence.

here's the big secret: no one gives two fucks about it, it was on the news for like a day but outside of NC, no one cares. it's not affecting anything. move on.

And most of the media understood the frustration of Wake fans. Ron's credibility is the issue. (See article about seeding complaints.)

Back