• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Fans Actions Will Scare Away Coaches

I agree that nationally it is a non story. But to the Wake Forest basketball community, and anyone who is considering joining it.... it is part of the story.

Hope it doesn't affect our coaching search.

Where would you rank the actions of a handful of fans compared with the dumpster fire of a basketball program we've had for past four years? There are warts to the WF job, and some passionate fans are really the least of them by any rational standard.

I did change my tune recently on one thing. Before Buzz was fired I was of the opinion all of the negativity was just hurting the program with no benefit whatsoever. But Wellman / Wake said in the statement issued by the school that Buzz resigned because "there needs to be a positive environment for the players to realize their potential." I honestly don't think Wellman would have fired him if the fans had stayed silent and remained entirely positive during Buzz's tenure... and that would have hurt the program more over the long term. I just wish we could have done it in a different way, and not gotten painted / spun negatively.

I agree that nationally it is a non story. But to the Wake Forest basketball community, and anyone who is considering joining it.... it is part of the story.

Hope it doesn't affect our coaching search.

It will NOT affect the coaching search in any capacity.

Yeah, that's on Wellman and the administration. Not on the fans. This is their fault.

There are multiple stories, going back a loooong time, of fanbases putting up billboards, taking out newspaper ads, and even managing to get a plane to fly a banner calling for coaching changes. Wake was not the first and won't be the last. People act like this has never happened before and that there's no way we'll ever recover. Give coaches a bit of fucking credit: any fanbase complacent with losing is probably not the place for a coach who wants to win and make a career.

Didn't read the whole thread, but that article is ridiculous.

First, as much respect as I've lost for Ron Wellman the past few years, there's no way he looks at the Buzz Williams hiring as a bad thing. That hiring means that the ACC is so strong that even a bottom feeder with no history and no talent returning can hire a premier coach - thus, Wake Forest should be able to shoot even higher. I would hope Wellman would be offended by the assertion that he's upset that expectations have been raised.

Secondly, to say that Herb Sendek was "similarly unpopular" compared to Bz is just ludicrous. Herb Sendek had NC State in the tournament every year - the better comparison to him would be Dino, and we didn't treat Dino badly at all. Show me a fan base that would not act similarly toward a coach who went 51-76 at a program that had been ranked No. 1 in the country twice in the six years before he was hired. Hell, I think we should be lauded for our patience since we waited until the third year to really get aggressive with the #buzzout movement.

nope. it shows there is a passionate fanbase and as pointed out, the billboard, ad peeps helped get where we are. ron/bz (whichever really prepared) statement is proof.

also, this guy spins it negative on wake every opportunity he has.

Last edited:
Hell, I think we should be lauded for our patience since we waited until the third year to really get aggressive with the #buzzout movement.

That's what fuckos like Bilas don't get. Just how long do you think Bilas and his fellow Cameron Dorks would tolerate four seasons at Duke like [Redacted] just gave us? Sure, they did it a few decades ago. But now they'd be hanging anyone in effigy after two seasons of what we had. Fucking hypocrites. Jim Caldwell got 8 seasons here. I love coach but shit that is painful proof that we're not a lunatic fringe nor are we impatient.

I think people forget what it means to be irrelevant.

The quad rolling didn't show we have a passionate fanbase. It didn't show we have an overly negative, coach-hating fanbase. It didn't show anything, because nobody's following the minutia of a bottom tier ACC team during the first weekend of the NCAA tournament.

Our coaching search is about the strength of the ACC, the history of our program, and $$$.

There are multiple stories, going back a loooong time, of fanbases putting up billboards, taking out newspaper ads, and even managing to get a plane to fly a banner calling for coaching changes. Wake was not the first and won't be the last. People act like this has never happened before and that there's no way we'll ever recover. Give coaches a bit of fucking credit: any fanbase complacent with losing is probably not the place for a coach who wants to win and make a career.

DAMN RIGHT. I googled it - in the last year there are campaigns in Tampa (schiano) and at UCLA to get rid of a coach like this. People do this all the time. You will see it any time a boss keeps the coach around for too long. I recall hearing about fire Rivera billboard campaigns last year in Charlotte.

A coach worth anything will be happy to get this job. If they are scared, that says a lot about them.

That's what fuckos like Bilas don't get. Just how long do you think Bilas and his fellow Cameron Dorks would tolerate four seasons at Duke like [Redacted] just gave us? Sure, they did it a few decades ago. But now they'd be hanging anyone in effigy after two seasons of what we had. Fucking hypocrites. Jim Caldwell got 8 seasons here. I love coach but shit that is painful proof that we're not a lunatic fringe nor are we impatient.

Another spot on 94 post. I agree with this. Imagine k retires and they hire some random guy to coach. They lose to Stetson next November, then go 8-20. How long do you think it would be before they brought out the pitchforks? My guess is February - of the first year.

I tweeted at Bilas last week saying it's easy for a Duke person to criticize when they haven't been in this position in decades and they believe Wake Forest belongs in the cellar. He responded that the billboards, ads, and threats are "beneath your great fan base." I said no, sitting back and accepting terrible results with no end in sight would be below us ... just for a second, put yourself in our shoes, and picture your program ruined. ... It's not that we like embarrassing ourselves, but Wellman left us between a rock and a hard place.

He never responded to that.

It's lazy on the part of Friedlander, Bilas, et al, to look at the billboards, the ads, the quad rolling, and write/talk about lunatic fans. The real story should be about the AD who hired his buddy who was completely unqualified, then keeping him around for four years while he ran a once-proud program completely into the ground - and drove a desperate fan base to take extreme measures to voice its displeasure.

DAMN RIGHT. I googled it - in the last year there are campaigns in Tampa (schiano) and at UCLA to get rid of a coach like this. People do this all the time. You will see it any time a boss keeps the coach around for too long. I recall hearing about fire Rivera billboard campaigns last year in Charlotte.

A coach worth anything will be happy to get this job. If they are scared, that says a lot about them.

Google images on "fire coach billboard."

People are surprised that fans expect a coach (paid a very large salary each year) to win? Well holy shit.

Back