• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Tennis (WS Open Starts Saturday)

Something just happened in Mansouri's match. It's hard to tell because there is no sound, but it was deuce point with his opponent serving. Mansouri hit a shot that looked to be on the line. His opponent called it out and was over ruled. His opponent then went nuts and threw his towel and something else at the chair ump. The match then ended, with Mansouri up 3-0 in the third. I guess the guy got defaulted.

Wake website and aTm website reported it as a retirement. But if he threw something at the umpire, it was probably a default. Guess we'll have to wait and see when the official brackets are posted.

Or maybe it was a situation like Shabaz at UVA his senior year where he got pissed about being overruled and just quit

I don't know how anyone could even get mad at a call someone else made. The answer seems to just be "call another bad one back." I thought I'd get shit from tennis fans for the "rampant cheating" comments, but I got a DM and a tweet response from two different former Wake tennis players who just laughed and said the "missed calls" were nothing compared to cheating that goes on during the season. Everyone who responded on here and twitter just said that's normal college tennis. I mean how can that be the case? So weird.

It's really weird to see the difference between tennis and golf in those regards.

Wake website and aTm website reported it as a retirement. But if he threw something at the umpire, it was probably a default. Guess we'll have to wait and see when the official brackets are posted.

Or maybe it was a situation like Shabaz at UVA his senior year where he got pissed about being overruled and just quit

In the write on the Wake site it says this, "In the third set, the Tunis, Tunisia native earned a pair of breaks to take a 3-0 lead before Rinderknech defaulted."

He threw two things at the ump, the second was his towel.

So what is the punishment for that? An NCAA student-athlete defaulted an NCAA tournament match because he threw multiple items at the ump? I mean this is pretty ridiculous right?

I don't know how anyone could even get mad at a call someone else made.

Rinderknech called it out and then the chair ump over ruled him and said it was in. So instead of being down 1-2 he went down 0-3 and two breaks.

Rinderknech called it out and then the chair ump over ruled him and said it was in. So instead of being down 1-2 he went down 0-3 and two breaks.

Ah I see. And his response was to throw something at the umpire and get ejected from an NCAAT match?

So what is the punishment for that? An NCAA student-athlete defaulted an NCAA tournament match because he threw multiple items at the ump? I mean this is pretty ridiculous right?

It seemed pretty ridiculous, but keep in mind I was watching it with no sound on low def stream, so maybe I misinterpreted some of the actions (though it seemed fairly clear). Right after it occurred a roving official ran onto the court and discussed the situation with the chair umpire.

I don't know how anyone could even get mad at a call someone else made. The answer seems to just be "call another bad one back." I thought I'd get shit from tennis fans for the "rampant cheating" comments, but I got a DM and a tweet response from two different former Wake tennis players who just laughed and said the "missed calls" were nothing compared to cheating that goes on during the season. Everyone who responded on here and twitter just said that's normal college tennis. I mean how can that be the case? So weird.

It's really weird to see the difference between tennis and golf in those regards.
I was in one of the early rounds of an international tournament back in the juniors. I won the first set pretty close and late in the second, I call a ball out that gives me the set and winning of the match 7-5. We had a pretty decent crowd overall and everyone was cheering after the match had ended.

Opponent from South Korea gets pissed at my call and is calling me a cheater, claiming the ball was in. He yells loud enough that an official comes over. Since no official was on the court, it's my call as the ref rules. He smiles and goes "Okay, fine. Time for 3rd set." I was confused for a second and then realized he was claiming that he won the first set. I was livid. My parents and anyone else watching the match was trying to explain to the ref that I had won the first set but rules stated that if we couldn't agree on the score, we go back to the previous score we agreed upon. Turns out that was the very first point of the match as he claimed he won the first set 6-0.

I was way too pissed to concentrate and focus and ended up getting destroyed.

I was in one of the early rounds of an international tournament back in the juniors. I won the first set pretty close and late in the second, I call a ball out that gives me the set and winning of the match 7-5. We had a pretty decent crowd overall and everyone was cheering after the match had ended.

Opponent from South Korea gets pissed at my call and is calling me a cheater, claiming the ball was in. He yells loud enough that an official comes over. Since no official was on the court, it's my call as the ref rules. He smiles and goes "Okay, fine. Time for 3rd set." I was confused for a second and then realized he was claiming that he won the first set. I was livid. My parents and anyone else watching the match was trying to explain to the ref that I had won the first set but rules stated that if we couldn't agree on the score, we go back to the previous score we agreed upon. Turns out that was the very first point of the match as he claimed he won the first set 6-0.

That's hella fucked up, dude. Jesus.

that is awesome

That dude is my hero. Very Stugotzian. I've definitely felt cheated in junior tennis but that story takes the cake.

On the official NCAA drawsheet it does show Mansouri winning 3-0 (PPS), which means point penalty system, so not sure whey everywhere else mentions a retirement

In other news, incoming freshman Alex Lazarov won again again today and is into the quarters of a futures tourney in Bulgaria.

In the write on the Wake site it says this, "In the third set, the Tunis, Tunisia native earned a pair of breaks to take a 3-0 lead before Rinderknech defaulted."

Maybe the phrase "throw in the towel" confused him.

Yeah, but the first reference said retirement. It's not clear that whoever wrote it knows the difference.

Anyway, it was a default as reflected on the official draw

LOL

You want back to the start of the match? Worst case the second set that you undisputedly won should have counted so you could have replayed the first set, and if you won that, then that was the match. Or this might have been the only time in my career I flipped a coin to resolve the dispute.

I feel like I probably would have been able to tell this kid was trying to steal it, given the circumstances, and told him to knock it off though. But maybe not.

Back