• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Tennis (WS Open Starts Saturday)

unfortunately, I'm working the night of the 20th, but assuming Wake gets by OU I should be able to get out to Tulsa and watch the next round. Never been to a tennis match before, could be exciting.

I thought the info below was an interesting, though not surprising, tidbit from the college tennis blog. Michigan's coach was livid during the match because he thought Bogaerts shouldn't have been playing.

"I learned through a source that Michigan filed a formal lineup protest after Saturday's second round loss to Wake Forest. The protest centered around Romain Bogaerts playing at No. 4 singles after sitting out doubles and after not playing the previous day. Bogaerts, who has a minor knee injury, was competitive in the first few games but after going down a break trailed off and retired down 6-1, 1-0. Michigan was protesting that Bogaerts shouldn't have played which would have meant that Wake would have had to shift Christian Seraphim up from 5 to 4, Dennis Uspensky from 6 to 5, and Maksim Kan from 7 to 6.

The appeal was denied by the NCAA on Monday evening so the 4-2 result officially stands. I'm assuming that the NCAA most likely checked with Wake's team physician and there must not have been any indication that Bogaerts was unfit to play so therefore the appeal was denied. I did reach out to Michigan head coach Adam Steinberg but he had no further comment.

I can't think of any other instance where an appeal was granted in a situation like this because unless the medical report said someone was unfit then it's all a matter of opinion. Wake Forest will take the court on Friday evening at 7 p.m. central against the No. 11 seed Oklahoma."

I thought the info below was an interesting, though not surprising, tidbit from the college tennis blog. Michigan's coach was livid during the match because he thought Bogaerts shouldn't have been playing.

"I learned through a source that Michigan filed a formal lineup protest after Saturday's second round loss to Wake Forest. The protest centered around Romain Bogaerts playing at No. 4 singles after sitting out doubles and after not playing the previous day. Bogaerts, who has a minor knee injury, was competitive in the first few games but after going down a break trailed off and retired down 6-1, 1-0. Michigan was protesting that Bogaerts shouldn't have played which would have meant that Wake would have had to shift Christian Seraphim up from 5 to 4, Dennis Uspensky from 6 to 5, and Maksim Kan from 7 to 6.

The appeal was denied by the NCAA on Monday evening so the 4-2 result officially stands. I'm assuming that the NCAA most likely checked with Wake's team physician and there must not have been any indication that Bogaerts was unfit to play so therefore the appeal was denied. I did reach out to Michigan head coach Adam Steinberg but he had no further comment.

I can't think of any other instance where an appeal was granted in a situation like this because unless the medical report said someone was unfit then it's all a matter of opinion. Wake Forest will take the court on Friday evening at 7 p.m. central against the No. 11 seed Oklahoma."

That is interesting. Does Harbaugh coach the tennis team, too? Sure sounds like something he would do.

That is interesting. Does Harbaugh coach the tennis team, too? Sure sounds like something he would do.

The guy had a personality very similar to Harbaugh. Several times during the match he yelled at the players that weren't playing to cheer and make noise for their teammates.

I find the cheering pretty cool usually but some dudes are just lame cheerers. When Skandar was skullfucking Shane from UVA there were two or three scrubs cheering his every swing, good shot or not. Saying stuff you'd say to your six year old like (after a missed return) "good swing, good contact, you'll get the next one." It felt super patronizing.

I find the cheering pretty cool usually but some dudes are just lame cheerers. When Skandar was skullfucking Shane from UVA there were two or three scrubs cheering his every swing, good shot or not. Saying stuff you'd say to your six year old like (after a missed return) "good swing, good contact, you'll get the next one." It felt super patronizing.

In the Michigan match Skander was destroying their #1 6-3, 5-0 and every time the Michigan guy won a point, which was obviously rare, he went nuts. It was entertaining.

The worst was the dude Ho was playing for duke. If aliens ever came and wanted to know why people hated duke I think I would just introduce them to that dude.

Any news on Bogaerts status for this weekend? If he isn't healthy enough to compete at this level it's a big ask to dump a court intentionally, lose the doubles point, and hope 4 of the other 5 matches can win against very good teams. And Oklahoma is a very good team.

Any news on Bogaerts status for this weekend? If he isn't healthy enough to compete at this level it's a big ask to dump a court intentionally, lose the doubles point, and hope 4 of the other 5 matches can win against very good teams. And Oklahoma is a very good team.

It is not losing the doubles point - Kan played doubles instead of Bogaerts vs Michigan. It does guarantee a loss at 4 singles, but we beat Michigan and UVA while losing at 4 singles. I would guess that Bogaerts will play but will not stand much of a chance.

When he posts all the UTRs, it really shows you what a drop off it is from Uspensky/Seraphim to Kan. We're a 6-person team, we need Bogaerts healthy

Also I heard from someone that Tabrizi just decided to peace out. Nobody knows if he's coming back next year, but I would have to think he's not

I'm, unfortunately, pretty nervous about tonight. Oklahoma, at full strength, is much better than an 11 seed. They are playing in their home state, AND it is hard to beat a team 3 times. Lastly, we are not at full strength.

Dubs point will be huge like it always is. We've won it both times vs. them, so I think we have a good shot there, but will be tough.

Andrew Harris vs. Skan - This is a toss-up. Andrew is prob not 100%, but he's darn good.
Axel Llamas vs. Petros - Another barn-burner between two future pros. We need this court
Papa vs. Jon Ho - Ho won 1-6, 7-6, 10-? indoors in WS last year, but we won't be favored tonight
Ghilea vs. Romo - I'd take a healthy Romo, but he won't be 100% and I doubt 85% will be good enough.
Bragusi vs. Seraphim - Toss up court that we will need.
Biro vs. Dennis - I like Dennis here. They may play Mora since he beat Dennis earlier, but Dennis is playing much better now.

Long story short, our best options are Dubs, 2, 5 and 6 with 1 being a better option than 3 and 4.

I'm, unfortunately, pretty nervous about tonight. Oklahoma, at full strength, is much better than an 11 seed. They are playing in their home state, AND it is hard to beat a team 3 times. Lastly, we are not at full strength.

Dubs point will be huge like it always is. We've won it both times vs. them, so I think we have a good shot there, but will be tough.

Andrew Harris vs. Skan - This is a toss-up. Andrew is prob not 100%, but he's darn good.
Axel Llamas vs. Petros - Another barn-burner between two future pros. We need this court
Papa vs. Jon Ho - Ho won 1-6, 7-6, 10-? indoors in WS last year, but we won't be favored tonight
Ghilea vs. Romo - I'd take a healthy Romo, but he won't be 100% and I doubt 85% will be good enough.
Bragusi vs. Seraphim - Toss up court that we will need.
Biro vs. Dennis - I like Dennis here. They may play Mora since he beat Dennis earlier, but Dennis is playing much better now.

Long story short, our best options are Dubs, 2, 5 and 6 with 1 being a better option than 3 and 4.

Great summary. I agree, this is going to be a tough one, and OU might be favored. I think Skander has been playing well and could take Harris. I heard a good report on Romo's knee, so maybe he'll go in doubles and singles.

The match is scheduled for an 8 PM Eastern start and should be streamed here http://streamingtennis.com/Tulsa/ However, the weather has been dicey in Tulsa and we are the last match of the day, so it could start late.

Back