• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: +Spillers/Biliew/Cosby/Johnson/Abass

Right, and we got nowhere with those guys despite the leaps they made. So we're in the same spot of hoping these new guys not only all make those same massive leaps, but that they also collectively outperform the prior teams. I don't see it. I guess the argument is that they are all here together, but it isn't like those other prior teams didn't have other transfers who sucked and didn't make the leap. We're just doing the same thing over and over again and hoping for different results.
yes. You are indeed posting the same shit over and over again and hoping for...not sure what you are hoping for.

but you are most definitely doing the same thing over and over and over and over again

Those guys were spread across three different teams in three different season. You're acting like Sallis, Alondes, Appleby, and Laravia all played on the same team.
Right, and you are assuming that a team full of previously underperforming guys will all simultaneously go from underperforming to All-ACC. The Salie, Alondes, Appleby, and LaRavia teams also had other guys who didn't get any better.

Kinda think the worst loss I’ve ever experienced was to Houston Baptist at home. But there were maybe 200 fans at the Joel, no students, a birthday party of kids screaming “YOU’RE EMBARRASSING,” and a rowdy Houston Baptist fan section. And we lost to one of the worst teams in college basketball. In overtime. The other ones are bad losses, but bad teams don’t even lose to Houston Baptist.

Runners up: Stetson, Delaware State, and Presbyterian
The Houston Baptist game was the first Wake basketball game for both of my kids. Ugh

so what do you guys think are realistic expectations for next year?
With one more impact guard (KJ,Sallis or a high level late pickup), I think we're a bubble team on the right side. Two of the above and we're in the field.

(Assume Sallis leaves, we get KJ and no other impact guard)

PG: KJ/Ty-Laur v. Boopie/Cam - Upgrade - Having two PGs is better than one. Ty'laur seems like he will look to pass more which could be good
SG: Cam/Cosby/PFred v. Sallis/Cam - downgrade, but Cam, if healthy, will have a good year
SF: Omaha/Juke/Pfred v. Cam/PFred - can't really guage this one. May be an upgrae just for defense. I think this position changes some. Previously, it's been a 3rd guard/shooter role (which it will continue with when Pfred/Cosby are here), but I think we'll see more drive/inside game with Omaha/Juke.
PF: Spillers/Omaha v. Carr/Monsanto/Keller - EVEN - It's going to be hard to replace Carr, and this is going to be another position that shifts this year, moving from a stretch 4 that comes inside to a more traditional 4. I see a lot more offensive rebounds/put backs from this position, plus some easy points off of Reid interior passing. Defense a big upgrade (Although Carr was not given his due in this department last year)
C: Reid/Abass v. Reid/Marsh/Keller/Carr - Upgrade, having legitimate backups is going to take a lot of pressure off of Reid and make us more competitive throughout the game.

Right, and you are assuming that a team full of previously underperforming guys will all simultaneously go from underperforming to All-ACC. The Salie, Alondes, Appleby, and LaRavia teams also had other guys who didn't get any better.
I'm not assuming anything. I'm just pointing out that your "argument" has some massive fucking holes.

lol guys, bringing up bad losses don't help with the VIBEZ

To be honest, my best case scenario that I'm imagining for these next 12 months is:

-Sallis going first round and cracking the rotation of an NBA team
-Wake going to the dance anyway with an above .667 record in the ACC
  • Forbes winning ACC COY again
  • Wake playing a team in the NCAAT that has a Wake transfer on it - and the focus of our run to the Sweet 16 being Forbes being a Portal Whisperer (which leads to more success in the next year's portal)
My vote for official board's historian. Let's write it up!

It's entertaining to talk about at the moment, but I think it's too early to have a firm grasp on what the expectations of this team should be. There's going to be at least 1 and probably 2 more players added to the roster. There's a huge difference in what I will expect out of this team if it's Sallis and KJ or if it's two end of the bench type players.

All of that said, I think most of us are in agreement that Forbes needs to make the tournament this year regardless of who he fills out the team with.

It's entertaining to talk about at the moment, but I think it's too early to have a firm grasp on what the expectations of this team should be. There's going to be at least 1 and probably 2 more players added to the roster. There's a huge difference in what I will expect out of this team if it's Sallis and KJ or if it's two end of the bench type players.

All of that said, I think most of us are in agreement that Forbes needs to make the tournament this year regardless of who he fills out the team with.
According to Pilch, the bold doesn't matter with respect to Forbes' job security. No idea if that is based upon sauces or intuition, but its been posted several times.

6 or 7 seed. Depth was the issue last year and we are already in such a better position there.

Also we were good last year even with eligibility probs and terrible injuries, which I know no one wants to hear but is easy to forget with the constant “but what about the tournament?!?!?!?” remarks on every single fucking post.

We get a couple additional targets on board and you can take the previous four pages of speculation to the waste basket. Whole new chapter of speculation and HOPE will appear.

According to Pilch, the bold doesn't matter with respect to Forbes' job security. No idea if that is based upon sauces or intuition, but its been posted several times.
Yes. Barring an abhorrent 2024-25 season or a scandal, WF is not firing Steve Forbes next Spring.

WF extended Forbes through at least 2029. Another mid-ACC finish without an NCAAT, will stoke the frustration, but there's no world where WF gives Forbes (he just finished year 4, and Forbes gets a pass for the COVID season) less time than Manning (six years). Currie is 100% behind Forbes as are the key money people that support the basketball program.

I will be disappointed if we are on the bubble unless we end up in another wake situation where a bunch of people get hurt or can't play

Sent from my SM-S711U using Tapatalk

so what do you guys think are realistic expectations for next year?
Think we are in a similar range to '22/'24 today, a bubble team. With Sallis + Lithuianan kid, a safe tournament team with single-seed upside.

I don't see any one player replacing Carr's or Boopie's offensive production, so that will have to be spread among multiple players. I think this team could have big upside as Forbes seems to be stretching more for paper talent. It's still banking on a lot of potential/what-ifs.

Feel good about - Cam having a great senior year. Spillers will be effective. Reid above-average center play. Abass an upgrade over Keller/Marsh. More physical and athletic on paper, should have more playable bench.

Question marks - Parker faded down the stretch, how good can he be? Billew/Cosby/Juke are unknowns with talent. Johnson had flashses last season, now he has the keys. Outside shooting will probably be worse. No go-to-guy, unless you see Cam in that role, think he's better as No. 2.

Need to see what the final roster is and what the rest of the ACC looks like before making any kind of real projection. Feels like a boom or bust roster right now. Higher ceiling, lower floor.

This is what we've added:

MPGPPGRPGAST
Omaha Billiew7.42.41.30.3
Davin Cosby7.83.60.90.5
Trevon Spillers29.012.88.90.4
Churchill Abass15.83.93.50.2
Tidy(Tights)-Laur Johnson23.28.71.83.6

Speaking of money doesn't the AD need to know what is happening in 27 with the TV contract or the lawsuits?

Think we are in a similar range to '22/'24 today, a bubble team. With Sallis + Lithuianan kid, a safe tournament team with single-seed upside.

I don't see any one player replacing Carr's or Boopie's offensive production, so that will have to be spread among multiple players. I think this team could have big upside as Forbes seems to be stretching more for paper talent. It's still banking on a lot of potential/what-ifs.

Feel good about - Cam having a great senior year. Spillers will be effective. Reid above-average center play. Abass an upgrade over Keller/Marsh. More physical and athletic on paper, should have more playable bench.

Question marks - Parker faded down the stretch, how good can he be? Billew/Cosby/Juke are unknowns with talent. Johnson had flashses last season, now he has the keys. Outside shooting will probably be worse. No go-to-guy, unless you see Cam in that role, think he's better as No. 2.

Need to see what the final roster is and what the rest of the ACC looks like before making any kind of real projection. Feels like a boom or bust roster right now. Higher ceiling, lower floor.
I'm gonna pray that Parker hit his sophomore slump at the end of last year.

Back