• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Soccer:

Kind of surprising. That program seemed to be building momentum, and for the same reasons that the WF men's program is attractive to elite soccer recruits, you would think would apply to the women's program. Perhaps, just a single down year, but losses to Samford, FGCU and UNC-W (not to mention a 1-3 ACC record) are disconcerting.

Actually, they had a bad year last year. Maybe Tony goes back to West Coast after this season. It seems he prefers it out there. Sometimes change is good (look at Men's soccer).

I think it's a combination of the fact that they are still recovering from losing their best class ever, which really was the driving force behind the success of 2010-12(kind of 13) and the loss of assistant coach Tim Santoro who took the head job at NC State. Tim was a killer recruiter and recruited that 2010 class of Stengel, Nuzzolese, Bledsoe, et al. and also brought a different personality to the staff that was a good foil for Tony's laid back style

Interesting. TdaL has had a fantastic run, so he should get a break for a down year or two. Let's see how they recover next year.

His youngest son is a senior in HS, fwiw.

After seeing the men's team in person last week at BC, this year is a disappointment if we don't win it all. And they are so young! Maybe it's a disappointment if we don't win the next 3.

That's a bit of a high bar. Creighton is the certain favorites with Bolo at the helm. They can be beaten as is shown by the fact they get down early in most matches, but they're a solid team. Stanford with Morris is obviously a completely different team. And ND and UNC are some heavyweights. We started the year unranked if I recall, so we hopefully peak come tourney time, but I think we have seen that we have a coach that can recruit and coach and are in good hands for the future.

Creighton may be good but I am not seeing that much competition on their schedule. Wouldnt be surprised to see a team jump them that has played tougher teams

If Wake doesn't win out this year. Next year. And the year after that. Then that will be a disappointment.

Good looks by harkes and bakero in first five. 0-0

Missed opportunity by Bakero. Pack backs have stepped up some.

Harkes bangs one off the post. Still scoreless

Halftime. Wake had most of the possession, but would not say they've dominated. Could see us giving up a goal on a counter.

Interesting. TdaL has had a fantastic run, so he should get a break for a down year or two. Let's see how they recover next year.

His youngest son is a senior in HS, fwiw.

I should say that I meant nothing as a knock against Tony. He is a GREAT coach, and an especially great tactical coach. I can think of at least a half-dozen occasions in the past few years where the Deacs came out of the locker room at halftime a completely different team after he made adjustments. When Tim Santoro was here, he ran the defensive scheme, which allowed Tony to focus on the rest and also had no problem being a disciplinarian when the situation called for it

Seems we were pretty outplayed in the 2d half. State really evened out the shots on goal and forced more dangerous situations. A lot of corners for them too.

Back