• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Soccer:

Muuss has been such a fantastic coach. I remember doubting the hire just because it was such big shoes to fill, but he's taken recruiting, development, and tactics to the next level. Hope he's here a long time.

League championships are difficult to attain, especially in a tournament format. We've had a number of coaches in all sports with good to great teams that didn't win one. Impressive for Muuss to win an ACC title in his second year; good sign.

Louisville gets the #4, which seems rather surprising. 9 ACC teams in total.

We will face the winner of Coastal Carolina-Radford (which I'm guessing will be Coastal.)

Also, surprised with Denver getting the #6 as opposed to the #7 at that point with the committee trying to create a matchup there with us should either team reach that point.

Game will be Sunday at 1:00 PM. Pack your cold weather parkas.

Last edited:
The seeds and number of teams from the ACC in the NCAA men's soccer tournament is nothing short of amazing. Seven seeded teams, plus two more in the field shows just how difficult it is to play in the ACC. Seven of the 16 NCAA seeded team are from the ACC. And then there are two more teams in the field of 48. Wow.

All the more reason for the Wake men's team to be proud of the ACC title.

Some of the teams they play in the NCAA tournament will probably be weaker than the teams they had to beat to win the conference title.

The seeds and number of teams from the ACC in the NCAA men's soccer tournament is nothing short of amazing. Seven seeded teams, plus two more in the field shows just how difficult it is to play in the ACC. Seven of the 16 NCAA seeded team are from the ACC. And then there are two more teams in the field of 48. Wow.

All the more reason for the Wake men's team to be proud of the ACC title.

Some of the teams they play in the NCAA tournament will probably be weaker than the teams they had to beat to win the conference title.

I think this is a dramatic understatement!

The ACC's dominance also shows that NCAA men's soccer remains a small pond sport.

The SEC and Big 12 don't sponsor men's soccer as a conference sport at all. Of the schools in the Pac 12, only 5 field men's soccer teams; of the 14 teams in the Big 10, only 9 have men's soccer programs. In the ACC, Miami, Ga Tech and FSU don't field soccer programs (odd to me that FSU doesn't have a men's soccer program given that their women's program is elite, and Florida produces a lot of soccer talent).

A primary reason why the ACC is dominant in soccer is because it's the only Power Conference that takes the sport seriously.

The ACC's dominance also shows that NCAA men's soccer remains a small pond sport.

The SEC and Big 12 don't sponsor men's soccer as a conference sport at all. Of the schools in the Pac 12, only 5 field men's soccer teams; of the 14 teams in the Big 10, only 9 have men's soccer programs. In the ACC, Miami, Ga Tech and FSU don't field soccer programs (odd to me that FSU doesn't have a men's soccer program given that their women's program is elite, and Florida produces a lot of soccer talent).

A primary reason why the ACC is dominant in soccer is because it's the only Power Conference that takes the sport seriously.

Meh, not really. There's no reason the PAC12 can't be dominant with all the talent out west.

I'm already drinking. Apologies.

No problem. You make a fine point though, and one analogous to the one Pilchard made about the state of Florida: if schools in those areas got their acts together, they could recruit from some pretty deep talent pools.

No problem. You make a fine point though, and one analogous to the one Pilchard made about the state of Florida: if schools in those areas got their acts together, they could recruit from some pretty deep talent pools.

Same with Texas.

Not sure that I really agree with that because on the women's side, the Big XII and SEC do take the sport seriously but the ACC is still far and away the best conference

Same with Georgia. But we shouldn't lose sight of the high number of foreign players who are some of the best talents in the college game.

Not sure that I really agree with that because on the women's side, the Big XII and SEC do take the sport seriously but the ACC is still far and away the best conference
I'm not sure anyone is saying otherwise. Do you know if women's programs in the SEC and Big XII get the same kind of funding as the women's programs in the ACC?

Because if not, I suspect that has something to do with the ACC taking men's soccer so seriously.

Because if not, I suspect that has something to do with the ACC taking men's soccer so seriously.

There are lots of good programs in the SEC and Big XII in women's soccer: Florida is one of the country's most successful programs (heard of Abby Wambach?), TAMU made the national championship a few years ago I think, Texas has historically been strong, Tennessee dished out $$$ to hire Maryland's coach away. I would wager that the Wake women's soccer team probably has a smaller budget than almost any SEC or Big XII school.

But none of those conferences are the ACC, and I don't think it's for lack of trying.

Last edited:
There are lots of good programs in the SEC and Big XII in women's soccer: Florida is one of the country's most successful programs (heard of Abby Wambach?), TAMU made the national championship a few years ago I think, Texas has historically been strong, Tennessee dished out $$$ to hire Maryland's coach away. I would wager that the Wake women's soccer team probably has a smaller budget than almost any SEC or Big XII school.

But none of those conferences are the ACC, and I don't think it's for lack of trying.

That statement proves my point about men's soccer. The ACC has the most programs that play and fund high caliber soccer programs; other schools could, but do not, which explains why the conference dominates the sport. Not trying to undermine the praise for WF's or the ACC's accomplishments in soccer, but by my count, only 16 of the 50 Power V schools outside the ACC even attempt to field a men's college soccer program. That makes it a small pond sport.

Back