• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is the greatest invention in the history of mankind?

You idiots. If we didn't invent fire, we would have wasted away and died out as a species 1000 years ago. Wouldn't have later invented the wheel or bread or cars or any of that shit. A goddamn printing press? Are you kidding me? Without fire we wouldn't be able to light a candle, wouldn't be able to read stuff anyway so WGAF about a printing press?

You idiots. If we didn't invent fire, we would have wasted away and died out as a species 1000 years ago. Wouldn't have later invented the wheel or bread or cars or any of that shit. A goddamn printing press? Are you kidding me? Without fire we wouldn't be able to light a candle, wouldn't be able to read stuff anyway so WGAF about a printing press?

Just so I am clear...you think fire is an invention. Thats your official position?

Reactions: tic

Why is the first invention the greatest invention? Shouldn't writing - the genesis of history, the very action that makes this message board possible - be considered a more influential/greater achievement?

Why is the first invention the greatest invention? Shouldn't writing - the genesis of history, the very action that makes this message board possible - be considered a more influential/greater achievement?

Idk man, water was a pretty good invention. Or maybe oxygen.

Talking was a better invention than writing though, because we invented that first. But fire still the obvious answer, because we could have survived without talking but no way without fire.

Idk man, water was a pretty good invention. Or maybe oxygen.

I'm assuming Say Hey's ID of fire as invention is a bit more nuanced than fire as an element. I assumed he was referring to humanity's ability to harness fire, which would mean focusing on creating a fire-starting process vs. waiting for a lighting bolt to strike a tree. That's an invention.

I'm assuming Say Hey's ID of fire as invention is a bit more nuanced than fire as an element. I assumed he was referring to humanity's ability to harness fire, which would mean focusing on creating a fire-starting process vs. waiting for a lighting bolt to strike a tree. That's an invention.

Yeah, this. Lightning can make fire but not all the time and not wherever it wants. Plus lightning already kind of IS fire, so when it makes a fire it doesn't have to make it make it. The fire was already there just in a different form. We invented fire out of nothing. Like a rock bashed against another rock or wood spinning really fast against a leaf. We made fire from that and now I can turn on a switch in my house and have fire. Set the whole stage for everything. Eating. Having light. Reading shit.

Talking was a better invention than writing though, because we invented that first. But fire still the obvious answer, because we could have survived without talking but no way without fire.

I don't know if humanity invented oral communication/utterances. I know that - on this planet at least - we are responsible for written symbolic communication.

Still think writing > fire, as there's no way we progress as a species without it. Fire allows us to live. Writing gives us a reason to.

Well, so you just basically admitted that fire is the greatest but writing is your favorite. That's a whole different question. The "greatest" invention is fire, but my personal favorite would be the 1965 Mustang convertible.

Well, so you just basically admitted that fire is the greatest but writing is your favorite. That's a whole different question. The "greatest" invention is fire, but my personal favorite would be the 1965 Mustang convertible.

Strange read of what I wrote.

if it weren't for quantum computers this simulation probably wouldn't exist, but I'm guessing we are talking about inventions just in this simulation.

If fire counts then the human peen definitely counts and WINS! We wouldn't be here if nobody figured out how to use the peen!

I came to this thread expecting multiples great answers and I'm left reading about fire.

Something that mankind didn't even invent.

Reactions: tic
ITT: man invents water as he decides he can't live without it

Back