• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is the greatest invention in the history of mankind?

ITT: man invents water as he decides he can't live without it

We didn't invent water, dummy. Water was already in rivers, ponds, and the ocean. There's water in my backyard. I didn't have to make it. There is no fire in my backyard. You have to MAKE fire (and I can thanks to our ancestors). Again, lightning doesn't count because it already sort of IS fire so it doesn't have to make it.

Take the L, buddy.

Another great invention is houses. If we didn't invent houses and were just living outside in the woods or in a big field, again, never would have made it as a species.

We didn't invent water, dummy. Water was already in rivers, ponds, and the ocean. There's water in my backyard. I didn't have to make it. There is no fire in my backyard. You have to MAKE fire (and I can thanks to our ancestors). Again, lightning doesn't count because it already sort of IS fire so it doesn't have to make it.

Take the L, buddy.

Uhhh, exactly. So what you're saying is fire is naturally made. That....was my point.

Now you could argue the process of different ways to start as fire. Such as lighters, flints, and strikers. But fire its self is completely natural and man had nothing to do with it's existence. Thus not an invention.

Here, have your L back.

Last edited:
Fire isn't naturally "made" because lightning already is fire, so it's not "making" fire when it hits a tree. It's just transferring its fire to the tree. Humans have to make fire, and we do through friction (i.e., we learned how to make fire from nothing - hence, the first person to do this invented it). I want to give you the benefit of the doubt that we're on the same page and just talking past each other rather than you just can't grasp this.

Fire was a discovery, not an invention. A lighter or blowtorch is an invention.

Even if fire is a invention it's p good but not great. I rarely use fire. I'm not a smoker, i use my grill once a week or so but could do without. Fireplaces in houses are decorative, it's not like they are used to stay warm anymore. So, fire- p cool but not epic.

The boards. They're cyclical.

Pretty sure soap/antibacterials wins this thread in appx 9 - 12 pages.

This is 4th grade level science. It really can't be this hard to understand.

Exactly. Glad we're finally speaking the same language. We "discovered" fire when we made it. Probably some ancient knight dropped a big rock onto another rock, saw a spark and thought, "whaaaaat?" Then he did it again until he made fire for the first time. After that, we also invented the lighter and matches. We'd probably seen fire before when lightning struck, but again lightning did not "make" the fire.

Yeah he tripped and fell and an apple hit him on the head and then he found a Petri dish with staph in it on the side of the road someone just left there and boom the pharmaceuticals manufactured themselves from there

No wonder why American dumb fucks can't figure out what's fake and not fake, or understand science this board can't even figure out what an invention is.

Back