• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What's Your Take on CP3 to the Rockets?

Oh sure. But it frees them up to get value elsewhere.

All the stuff about Doc and Austin is really disappointing.

If he really turned down Carmello and Vuja for Austin and Crawford, he should never be allowed on an NBA court again. If I was Balmer I would throw him out of the building when I found that out.

Who knows what will happen in Houston. I think their ceiling is probably Western Conf finals. Floor is 1st round exit.

I still also think that CP3 could bolt, $$ be damned, if a real ring chasing opportunity came up a year from now.

CP made the wrong move given that winning a championship was the reason for moving on from LAC. D'Antoni is never going to coach a team to a title. His teams don't play good enough D and he will always resort to playing 7 guys in the playoffs and his players run out of gas every time.

That was actually the first time in 50 years a team has only played 7 guys in a game, but i see your point

32 isn't that old in the NBA. Especially for a pass first PG that plays at a slow pace.

Jordan, Stockton, Cassell, Kobe, West and Ginobli all played at a high level at age 34, so I would expect at least 3 more years of All-Star level Chris.

Stockton played at a high level until age 38. It's not like Chris is a guy who thrives on his athleticism either.

Perfect fit for a shoot-first, fast paced offense.

CP made the wrong move given that winning a championship was the reason for moving on from LAC. D'Antoni is never going to coach a team to a title. His teams don't play good enough D and he will always resort to playing 7 guys in the playoffs and his players run out of gas every time.

He was definitely guiilty of that in Phoenix, but Harden (37.0) and Ariza (37.5) were the only guys that went over 33 mpg in the playoffs.

Even in that game 5 Houston's top 4 averaged 42.3 minutes vs. 41.1 minutes for the Spurs top 4

That's the next step in the NBA anyway, just get 7 or 8 guys that can all play 3 or more positions and play them exclusively for 30-35 mpg (see the Bucks a few years from now).

Anybody have any idea if this was a good idea for CP3 from an income tax standpoint ?

D'Antoni played 7 guys in game 5 against the Spurs which went into overtime. Houston was absolutely gassed in the fourth quarter and OT. And had nothing left for Game 6. When Nene went down he didn't give Dekker or Harrell any minutes to help the starters be a little fresher in the fourth quarter. He's awful.

Paul realized unlikely to win NBA championship against younger more talented warriors. Sign and trade saves him approx 13 percent taxes and he still gets the max contract. He will probably net $25m more in Houston and have a better shot advancing in the playoffs.

I'm just glad he didn't go to the Spurs. I'm not sure that attempts to build a "Warriors-beater" is a sustainable model either for the teams attempting to do it, or for the league as a whole. Better to keep the young guys (and the team's options), sit this one out and wait for the smoke to clear.

I think Ph said something along these lines on a different thread. If not, I certainly don't speak for him.

Anybody have any idea if this was a good idea for CP3 from an income tax standpoint ?

He will make roughly 30 million more if he stays in Texas through out his 5 year $205m super max extension.

I'm just glad he didn't go to the Spurs. I'm not sure that attempts to build a "Warriors-beater" is a sustainable model either for the teams attempting to do it, or for the league as a whole. Better to keep the young guys (and the team's options), sit this one out and wait for the smoke to clear.

I think Ph said something along these lines on a different thread. If not, I certainly don't speak for him.

Yep. The Spurs have a very young roster and some young guys in the pipeline. They want to move LMA and Green. This is a transition period anyway.

Yep. The Spurs have a very young roster and some young guys in the pipeline. They want to move LMA and Green. This is a transition period anyway.

Let's be clear - they don't want to move Green NOW. They would have moved Green to get CP3. The Spurs have a long history of moves NOT made that worked out well for them - see Jason Kidd.

The ONLY way you are going to beat the Warriors is with someone like Green to work with Kawhi. That way you can guard 2 of the 3 of Curry, Klay and Durant. You hope you can get a PG who can guard Curry on some nights and then you might be real good on D. The key, as it has been for the last three years, is Green. The Warriors are very fortunate to have him and he is the one that is hard to manage IMO. If he brings the ball up the court, then you need a very versatile 4 to man him. This is why my suspcion was the Spurs were trying to move up to take Isaac. Couldn't pull it off.

But I would be really shocked if Green weren't totally safe now that CP is in Houston,

* Harden won't be a triple double machine
* Clint Capella will be a double double machine
* Ryan Anderson and Ariza are gonna get some open looks
* CP3 is gonna play more minutes than with the Clippers as Harden gets to the line so often it provides a lot of rest opportunities. Thinking 35ish.
* Harden should play less minutes
* Can Gordon stay healthy a 2nd year in a row? Can CP3 stay healthy?

Never stop being you

Clips got a grocery bag of NBA bench players. Rockets got an NBA Allstar.

Beverley isn't an NBA bench player. Lou Williams was runner up for 6th man of the year? He can fill it up. The 1st rounder is nice, although it should be in the 20s. And if the clippers can hit on 1 out of the other 5 guys in the deal to be a contributor or even starter down the road, they have to like the deal long term for a 32 year old injury prone PG who hasn't been out of the second round.

Rockets hope CP3 is healthy and can be the "all star" PG for the next 2-3 years (if he resigns). I'm not sure how good a 35 year old CP3 will be.

D'Antoni played 7 guys in game 5 against the Spurs which went into overtime. Houston was absolutely gassed in the fourth quarter and OT. And had nothing left for Game 6. When Nene went down he didn't give Dekker or Harrell any minutes to help the starters be a little fresher in the fourth quarter. He's awful.

San Antonio's top four players played almost as many minutes as Houston's in game 5. It's possible to play 7 guys without anyone going over 35 minutes.

Beverley isn't an NBA bench player. Lou Williams was runner up for 6th man of the year? He can fill it up. The 1st rounder is nice, although it should be in the 20s. And if the clippers can hit on 1 out of the other 5 guys in the deal to be a contributor or even starter down the road, they have to like the deal long term for a 32 year old injury prone PG who hasn't been out of the second round.

Rockets hope CP3 is healthy and can be the "all star" PG for the next 2-3 years (if he resigns). I'm not sure how good a 35 year old CP3 will be.

For what it's worth five thirty eight's projections peg CP3's 5-year market value at $210 million. (Lebron's is $300 million for reference).

And I think there is good reason to believe he will follow the Stockton/Nash arc of an aging PG.

For what it's worth five thirty eight's projections peg CP3's 5-year market value at $210 million. (Lebron's is $300 million for reference).

And I think there is good reason to believe he will follow the Stockton/Nash arc of an aging PG.

As a comparison, Chris Paul has missed 85 games in the last 7 years.

Nash missed 32 games in 7 years from 25-32 years old

Stockton missed 7 games in 7 years from 25-32 years old

So the comparisons to Stockton and Nash are a stretch in terms of reliability.

Back