• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What's Your Take on CP3 to the Rockets?

Let's be clear - they don't want to move Green NOW. They would have moved Green to get CP3. The Spurs have a long history of moves NOT made that worked out well for them - see Jason Kidd.

The ONLY way you are going to beat the Warriors is with someone like Green to work with Kawhi. That way you can guard 2 of the 3 of Curry, Klay and Durant. You hope you can get a PG who can guard Curry on some nights and then you might be real good on D. The key, as it has been for the last three years, is Green. The Warriors are very fortunate to have him and he is the one that is hard to manage IMO. If he brings the ball up the court, then you need a very versatile 4 to man him. This is why my suspcion was the Spurs were trying to move up to take Isaac. Couldn't pull it off.

But I would be really shocked if Green weren't totally safe now that CP is in Houston,

Yeah. Green is a still good player and they shouldn't move him. Green has been the key to championships and makes them hard to beat. I wonder if they may consider getting Green in free agency. He's been a disappointment but he has the physical tools to play the 4 against Green. He would be a cheap Spurs reclamation project.

For what it's worth five thirty eight's projections peg CP3's 5-year market value at $210 million. (Lebron's is $300 million for reference).

And I think there is good reason to believe he will follow the Stockton/Nash arc of an aging PG.

And Williams 26 million
Dekker 40 million
Beverly 65 million
Harrel 27 million
Liggins 1.8 million
1st rounder (Josh Hart 30th pick this year is 13.5 million)

So that's 173 million, less than CP3, but some of these guys have higher ceilings than current value, no injury history, and will likely play longer than 5 years which is questionable for CP3.

Feels like people are overthinking this one. A 55 win team just got significantly better. You'd have to guess it'll be Rockets/Warriors in the West Finals.

Feels like people are overthinking this one. A 55 win team just got significantly better. You'd have to guess it'll be Rockets/Warriors in the West Finals.

They did but guard play even besides Harden was already a strength for the Rockets. I think they pulled even with the Spurs.

Said team has D'Antoni and [Redacted] on the sideline, and plugging in a great player on an already good team rarely gives the pound-for-pound improvement jump that is widely expected. Hell, the Warriors added Durant and they weren't significantly better this year than they were last year. The Rockets will be out in the second round again.

They did but guard play even besides Harden was already a strength for the Rockets. I think they pulled even with the Spurs.

That's definitely a fair take. Even pulling even is a win for them though. I do think it's hard to quantify (for better or worse) adding a player with CP3's advanced stats to a team with a legit MVP candidate like Harden.

To 2&2's point, it's not that anyone expects a pound-for-pound improvement. And if anyone expected that with the Warriors then they were idiots. At the same time, a step forward for the Warriors meant they almost went through the playoffs undefeated. Maybe we just disagree on what "significant" means.

And Williams 26 million
Dekker 40 million
Beverly 65 million
Harrel 27 million
Liggins 1.8 million

So that's 173 million, less than CP3, but some of these guys have higher ceilings than current value, no injury history, and will likely play longer than 5 years which is questionable for CP3.

All of that is taken into account in these projections.

And Williams 26 million
Dekker 40 million
Beverly 65 million
Harrel 27 million
Liggins 1.8 million

You don't win with mediocre players. You have to have stars.

As a comparison, Chris Paul has missed 85 games in the last 7 years.

Nash missed 32 games in 7 years from 25-32 years old

Stockton missed 7 games in 7 years from 25-32 years old

So the comparisons to Stockton and Nash are a stretch in terms of reliability.

True, but Chris provides more value when he's on the court than those guys did. He's only had one major injury and that was 8 years ago and hasn't bothered him since. He will keep picking up knocks every other year or so that keep him out 15-20 games but his injury history doesn't suggest he's due for an early retirement or decline in level of play.

players also sit out way more games now proactively

rockets goal isn't to be the most stable they can be projecting into year 5. it's trying to reach the highest possible ceiling they can now and dealing with the consequences later. as one of the few teams trying to compete with the warriors i applaud them. punting for the next 2 to 3 to 4 years to those silicon valley goobers is tantamount to tanking.

That's definitely a fair take. Even pulling even is a win for them though. I do think it's hard to quantify (for better or worse) adding a player with CP3's advanced stats to a team with a legit MVP candidate like Harden.

To 2&2's point, it's not that anyone expects a pound-for-pound improvement. And if anyone expected that with the Warriors then they were idiots. At the same time, a step forward for the Warriors meant they almost went through the playoffs undefeated. Maybe we just disagree on what "significant" means.

I mean, the year prior they set the wins record, which is already a pretty high floor. This year they obviously had a better playoff outcome, but it is clearly arguable that had Draymond not gotten suspended they would have had a better year the prior year than this year. I think to a team that is already very good, adding a superstar doesn't raise the bar as much as adding that same player to a lesser team. CP3 would improve the Pelicans more than he will the Rockets. Similarly, I think the TWolves will improve more from adding Jimmy Butler than the Rockets will get from CP3.

I mean, the year prior they set the wins record, which is already a pretty high floor. This year they obviously had a better playoff outcome, but it is clearly arguable that had Draymond not gotten suspended they would have had a better year the prior year than this year. I think to a team that is already very good, adding a superstar doesn't raise the bar as much as adding that same player to a lesser team. CP3 would improve the Pelicans more than he will the Rockets. Similarly, I think the TWolves will improve more from adding Jimmy Butler than the Rockets will get from CP3.

You mean a young team, getting an All-Star is more likely to improve form 31 wins versus a team who won 55 (the third most in the NBA) improving as much?

What a shocker!

You mean a young team, getting an All-Star is more likely to improve form 31 wins versus a team who won 55 (the third most in the NBA) improving as much?

What a shocker!

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

Yeah. Green is a still good player and they shouldn't move him. Green has been the key to championships and makes them hard to beat. I wonder if they may consider getting Green in free agency. He's been a disappointment but he has the physical tools to play the 4 against Green. He would be a cheap Spurs reclamation project.

Wait. Danny Green guarding Draymond? All these Greens are confusing.

I agree, keep Danny Green and trade LMA for anyone (Gorgui Dieng, Richaun Holmes, anyone). Hell, I'd take Diaw over that weak fadeaway LMA crap.

Danny Green can't guard either Chris Paul or James harden and Tony Parker is dunzo. Kawhi can shut down trevor Ariza. It's a nightmare matchup for the spurs

Last edited:
Danny Green can't guard either Chris Paul or James harden and Tony Parker is dunzo. Kawhi can shut down trevor Ariza. It's a nightmare matchup for the spurs

Kawhi guarding Ariza. 1/10 troll job. Green and Simmons shut down the rockets without kawhi.

The rockets needed to improve after the way their season ended. At least the spurs stood still. It should be fun watching the rockets figure out their identity.

Back