• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who should start at Quarterback against Virginia Tech?

Who should be the starting Quarterback in two weeks against Clemson?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mitch is not being Clemson. It won’t even be close. So if you are already going to lose, you might as well see what you have in Kern. I love Claw, but this decision to start Mitch is foolish

I watched the show, the Griffis/Kern stuff is in the last segment. Most of it seemed like the usual bunch of coachspeak to me, Clawson has never been one to share much to the media.

I went back and found some post-game presser quotes right before Sawvel was fired, sounds very familiar.

“We’ve got a lot of football left,” Clawson said. “I think we have the makings of a good football team, and we’ve got to get some things fixed, and there’s got to be a sense of urgency.

“I can’t say it got better a week ago than it did today. When it’s nine days later and you’re making the same mistakes, that’s on the head coach.”

One thing I did notice in the Clawson Show was his line about Kern being ready if needed. I wouldn't read too much in him voicing confidence in Griffis.... You can't just go out there and bash the guy if you want future QBs to commit to you

• Redshirting Bates and Dortch so we only got 2 seasons (less for Dortch due to injury)
  • Refusal to put Hines and Dortch on the field together so Hines transferred (and torpedoed his career)
  • Total KWIII mismanagement
  • Post-Sam QB debacle

Any other personnel mishaps for our infallible coaching staff? Waiting until the Syracuse game to give Greene any playing time was a consideration, but we were pretty stacked at WR that year prior to injuries. Waiting far too long to fire Hemphill (I guess he technically was never fired) stands out too.

I still love Clawson but those are mistakes I hope he's learned from. I'd add redshirting Greene as a true freshman too. It would have been nice to have that depth behind Surratt and Washington.

One thing I did notice in the Clawson Show was his line about Kern being ready if needed. I wouldn't read too much in him voicing confidence in Griffis.... You can't just go out there and bash the guy if you want future QBs to commit to you
Clawson's also a lot more quiet about plans than other coaches because of WakeyLeaks

• Redshirting Bates and Dortch so we only got 2 seasons (less for Dortch due to injury)
  • Refusal to put Hines and Dortch on the field together so Hines transferred (and torpedoed his career)
  • Post-Sam QB debacle

Any other personnel mishaps for our infallible coaching staff? Waiting until the Syracuse game to give Greene any playing time was a consideration, but we were pretty stacked at WR that year prior to injuries. Waiting far too long to fire Hemphill (I guess he technically was never fired) stands out too.
I would add not firing Sawvel after his first season and keeping Hemphill at DC for too long.

• Post-Sam QB debacle

Not gonna lie, if it’s been 10 years and these are the biggest complaints I think we are doing fine.

I mean one of these complaints is about redshirting two guys that were 2 star recruits, another is about WRs in an era in which WR has been the strongest position group every year, another is about losing a year of an elite player because he got poached by a bigger program (which people don’t like to admit may have happened even if he got 90% of the carries in 2020) and the last one is an ongoing issue that still has potential to be fixed one way or another.

I think he’s saying that if you have the 119th best qb at the D-1 level you have to keep putting him out there, because the alternative is you may play the 120th best QB. I can only assume he thinks this way because he believes this will guarantee us the first overall pick in next years draft.

Because otherwise he is saying doing exactly what Nick Saban did earlier this season is objectively stupid.
Didn't he end up back with the first guy?

Do some of the scholars and captains of industry on this board still not understand that sell outs are based on tickets sold not seats occupied?
No. However, I also question a claim WF sold 33k tickets to Elon, Vandy, and Ga Tech. Really? When did Wake last legit sell 33k tickets to a game not involving UNC, Clemson, NC State, or Notre Dame?

Take a look at the WF football tweet yesterday (I think) about the GT "sellout". Those are not the same East stands I observed Saturday night. The magic of digital editing!

Didn't he end up back with the first guy?
Yes, he did, after taking a look at what else he had available to him. No one is saying that Kern is going to be the answer, but why not at least see if he is an improvement? A good coach just doesn't say "well the guy won the job in the summer, so we are going to stick with him."

We are not beating Clemson even with Hartman. We never win in Death Valley. Even if we are close, the refs ensure that doesn't happen.

Putting Kern out there for 1st game AT CLEMSON is not a good idea. If subbed, I would do it for the Va Tech game which is winnable. I know that is normally a tough road environment but not now due to how bad they are.

I would give Griffis one last chance to fix it. After the loss, the Clawson presser call out, the heat from the Fans............its now or never for Mitch to fix his issues.

I also think the coaches could use the bye week to put Mitch in better positiions to succeed (i.e. not stick a short QB behind a collapsing line with a short drop). Needs to get out of pocket more. More quick routes.

Yes, he did, after taking a look at what else he had available to him. No one is saying that Kern is going to be the answer, but why not at least see if he is an improvement? A good coach just doesn't say "well the guy won the job in the summer, so we are going to stick with him."
Genuine question: why is Clawson obligated to see if Kern is an improvement in an actual game, other than that it would allow all the fans to see it too? If Griffis is still outperforming Kern in the in-season practices, I see no reason for Clawson to throw Kern out there and just hope that things are flip-flopped in real game action.

I care way less about Clawson putting Kern vs Griffis out there than I do that the game plan/offensive play calling needs to be adapted to the fact that we no longer have an elite or even above-average option at QB.

Obviously Griffis outperforming Kern in practice doesn't translate to the field. That's a big part of the issue. I'm not in practice so I don't know the general dynamic. Griffis may have a higher ceiling but he's also throwing balls away. Kern may have a lower ceiling but he can hand the ball off and get rid of the ball on time, a safer option. No idea, but I don't think you can say Griffis is automatically a better option than Kern because he's better in practice.

Our quarterbacks have always gotten the ball out quick. On plays they haven't, they've stepped up in the pocket and run. If they do neither, they almost always get sacked because our offensive line can't hold up. Griffis consistently holds onto the ball in the pocket significantly longer than our previous QBs, it's obviously apparent to the naked eye.

There are cuts of our offense in games over the years and you can see how quickly Hartman got rid of the ball -- almost always under 2 seconds. One thing people criticized about Newman was that he would hold onto the ball longer than Hartman (or Wolford) and opt to run more, but even then check out Newman's first ever start (against a good defense) and how fast he got rid of the ball. Basically, protection issues when our QB is in the pocket the ball for 3+ seconds is not a new thing.

Here's another Hartman cut from last year just for shits:

This is a good post. It's instructive to watch Newman get the ball out quickly.

Newman might be 6 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier than Mitch. Newman could absorb contact from a linebacker and make a throw. Once the pocket collapses around Mitch, no offense to the vertically challenged, but Mitch looks like a Hobbit out there, and the best-case scenario appears to be a ball batted (hopefully down) at the line of scrimmage.

As IAT stated, that's Newman's first start. If there is nothing there, the ball is going over Bachman's head and OOB for the next play. That is what we need...

Back