• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why firing [Redacted] after Carolina makes sense for Wellman

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Although, I'm 99.9% sure this won't happen. I also oppose firing coaches in this manner 99% of the time. However, it would be the perfect timing for Wellman and would give him cover going on.

First, typically coaches are fired and the search begins right after the regular season. Wellman will be tied up with the NCAAT. It would make him look bad to have just fired his coach as the selection process is playing out. He won't to answer such questions. By firing him earlier, the questions will be waning by the time the tourney starts.

By getting rid of [Redacted] next weekend, there will be less pressure on the team. We'll get to see who really wants to stay.

We can also start putting out feelers for our replacement. We'll be able to do a lot of legitimate homework. Some top coaches will let it slip they are interested.

We can start hitting up donors to put together a war chest. We need to go very big as the new ACC becomes a reality.

There can be other reasons, but these are a great start and illustrate the logic behind it.

If you don't think there already a coaching search going on under the radar then you're on crack. Nothing good comes from firing a coach mid season in college basketball.

One of the great things about Wellman chairing the selection committee is that it gives him a lot of air cover to talk to people about teams, coaches, etc.

I don't understand the part about the questions. No one will question the firing of Jeff [Redacted]. No one. The only possible questions to Wellman could be why hasn't he been fired yet, or what took so long?

Although, I'm 99.9% sure this won't happen. I also oppose firing coaches in this manner 99% of the time. However, it would be the perfect timing for Wellman and would give him cover going on.

First, typically coaches are fired and the search begins right after the regular season. Wellman will be tied up with the NCAAT. It would make him look bad to have just fired his coach as the selection process is playing out. He won't to answer such questions. By firing him earlier, the questions will be waning by the time the tourney starts.

By getting rid of [Redacted] next weekend, there will be less pressure on the team. We'll get to see who really wants to stay.

We can also start putting out feelers for our replacement. We'll be able to do a lot of legitimate homework. Some top coaches will let it slip they are interested.

We can start hitting up donors to put together a war chest. We need to go very big as the new ACC becomes a reality.

There can be other reasons, but these are a great start and illustrate the logic behind it.

I think it makes too much sense given what we have seen from Wellman. I'm not convinced that Wellman will fire Buzz. In fact, I think the only way Buzz is gone is if Wellman is not the one making the decision. That being the case, if Buzz is terminated early it will be because someone forced the AD to make it happen.

I also think that if arrogant, ego maniacal, Ron is put in charge of the search for Buzz's replacement after being FORCED to fire Buzz; he is enough of an asshole to hire another version of Buzz out of spite.

Last edited:
Will never happen and really doesn't matter, but it would make us look even more ridiculous than we already do.

I would think it'd be more likely that Bz quits after Carolina or Maryland. If he wants to resign at the end of the year (and has requested that Ron accept his resignation in the past), I could see him walking out if we get beat by 20+ back to back.

Although I agree that getting rid of Buzz ASAP is important, I can't see a situation where Wellman would do so in the middle of the season. Wellman permanently tied his horse to the Jeff [Redacted] wagon after last season, if he hadn't already. Firing him in the middle of a (lost) season might make a lot of fans happy (and even some of the team), but that would be a move that would essentially mean that Wellman admitted he was wrong standing by Buzz all this time, a move that he clearly could have made last year and didn't. If the past has been any indication, Wellman/Buzz are gonna ride this train-wreck all the way to the end. Only then can we hope that the door hits both of them on the way out.

I don't understand the part about the questions. No one will question the firing of Jeff [Redacted]. No one. The only possible questions to Wellman could be why hasn't he been fired yet, or what took so long?

Not about why, but about what's going on. If it just happened, they will be more likely to be asked.

Although I agree that getting rid of Buzz ASAP is important, I can't see a situation where Wellman would do so in the middle of the season. Wellman permanently tied his horse to the Jeff [Redacted] wagon after last season, if he hadn't already. Firing him in the middle of a (lost) season might make a lot of fans happy (and even some of the team), but that would be a move that would essentially mean that Wellman admitted he was wrong standing by Buzz all this time, a move that he clearly could have made last year and didn't. If the past has been any indication, Wellman/Buzz are gonna ride this train-wreck all the way to the end. Only then can we hope that the door hits both of them on the way out.

I have always thought they would leave together and have been hoping Ron would quit after the NCAA gig is done. Could leave on that note. That said I can also see him hanging around and letting Bz finish the 5 years (recruiting be damned) so he didnt have to fire his buddy or watch him resign after failing

If Bz is hospitalized with pneumonia and Battle beats Maryland does Battle finish out the year?

Wellman is going to drop Bzzzz like a hot potato and try to make a Clawson hire for hoops.

Wellman is going to drop Bzzzz like a hot potato and try to make a Clawson hire for hoops.

I actually sort of believe this too, but idk if there's a Clawson basketball equivalent out there.

Wellman fired Grobe, he'll fire [Redacted]. Probably Monday or Tuesday after Selection Sunday. Mike Buddy is probably getting geared up already, he's going to have to handle the heavy lifting on this one given Wellman's NCAA responsibilities.

Everyone should just relax. It will happen. It won't happen until the season is over though.

It happens occasionally.

@ESPNAndyKatz: Lamar coach Pat Knight confirmed that he has been fired by the school after two-plus seasons. Link to come.

346 in KenPom will do that to you.

Last edited:
Not about why, but about what's going on. If it just happened, they will be more likely to be asked.

I still don't understand this stuff about questions. The only question could be, why have you not yet fired Jeff [Redacted]? Once you fire him, the question will be who is the next coach, not what's going on? The only what's going on that makes sense is if Buzz is not fired immediately.

Bz will resign at the end of the season.

I suppose there's some chance that he could announce that he will resign at the end of the season just to spare himself the speculation in the media. But that seems doubtful.

If our top candidate is pretty much anyone other than Howland, then this search could go on for weeks. If the top choice is Gregg Marshall and his team makes another run to the Final Four, then the search will stretch into months.

Can you imagine how batshit crazy this board would get if April rolls around and a new coach hasn't been announced?

Bz will resign at the end of the season.

I suppose there's some chance that he could announce that he will resign at the end of the season just to spare himself the speculation in the media. But that seems doubtful.

If our top candidate is pretty much anyone other than Howland, then this search could go on for weeks. If the top choice is Gregg Marshall and his team makes another run to the Final Four, then the search will stretch into months.

Can you imagine how batshit crazy this board would get if April rolls around and a new coach hasn't been announced?

no, but we may very well find out

Back