• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why it took so long to get to today

Actually, I think nearly all ADs do exactly that, every year. I'm not sure coaches, extant or incoming, get the fuzzies over it, but it comes with the territory. The AD is the boss. As an AD RW has displayed incredible patience with coaches. How long did it take before Jim Caldwell "resigned." He actually wanted to retain Dave Odom but Odom played his hand badly (I know him and he knows it - thus, no hard feelings). The good thing about a basketball program is that it only takes one recruiting class to turn everything around, one way or the other. It's up to the coach to get the most out of that class (if it's a good one), but it just takes that one. Sometimes it only takes one player, or maybe two. So the program isn't destroyed. I think there's a lot of potential on our current team but they do need to be "coached up." Just think, three or four more road wins, or maybe fewer if we take care of business at home with Ga Tech and BC, and we're in the post-season and Buzz might get an extension. Things always eventually work out.

Uh, no. Nearly all ADs don't do that. Sometimes coaches just get flat-out fired. Wellman thinks it's brilliant that he's set up a system where he can let his employees fall on their swords instead of taking accountability. RW has also developed a reputation in the business that he is a coaches' AD, and the gushing eulogy he gave Buzz yesterday is a perfect example. This is about PR and an administrative persona.

So the program isn't destroyed. I think there's a lot of potential on our current team but they do need to be "coached up." Just think, three or four more road wins, or maybe fewer if we take care of business at home with Ga Tech and BC, and we're in the post-season and Buzz might get an extension. Things always eventually work out.

:wtf:

Say what you will about RW, but it's pretty clear that he is a savvy businessman who made a calculated gamble that imploded (even Warren Buffett buys some stinkers every now and then). I believe his past "week of silence" since the Pitt pasting was spent (1) evaluating the grass roots support (or lack thereof) for Buzz's return for year 5, (2) evaluating the financial implications of a change and what big donors would be willing to pony up to help make it happen (he's spending a lot of money these days on the new FB staff/old staff contracts, Coliseum upgrades, new Sports and Conditioning facility, amongst others) and (3) actively putting out feelers through agents/intermediaries to coaches on his short list to assess their interest (or lack thereof) in order to avoid a prolonged search resulting in another Buzzkill fallback decision (as you have to think Buzz was easily a plan C or D after Dino was axed). He can obviously see the energy Clawson has put back into a tired football program, and knows he has to get this right and put butts back in the seats at Joel if he wants to pay the bills. He also does not want his legacy to be that the proud basketball program fell off the cliff during his tenure. As such, he is understandably under a lot of pressure to make no worse than a solid choice who can resuscitate a half dead fan base with exciting and winning basketball. I just hope he doesn't try to short arm it.

No savvy businessman would:

1. bring back buzz for a fourth year
2. treat his customers like idiots and actively go out of his way to tell them they're idiots
3. hold that press conference

Back