• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Why it took so long to get to today

I have no inside information. My guess is that since the end of the ACC tournament, RW has been working the phones to see if he could cobble together enough support to keep Bzzz for another year. My guess is that he failed completely to find ANYONE who would support retaining Bzzz for another year and finally had to accept the fact that the man had to go. My guess he was finally told to get rid of Bzzz or hit the road himself. Faced with that decision he accepted the resignation that had actually been on his desk since before the ACC tournament. That is just my guess. Now lets hope he doesn't decide to be vindictive in his hiring Bzzz's replacement.

Hello sir,

This is excellent intel. I remember during the war when we were trying to decipher German codes, we were always hoping people would come forward and said "hey, I got no inside info, BUT guess who is f***ing awesome at guessing sh**?". Those were always the guys we trusted most. The guys who would step forward, start their own "threads", and just say "you know what guys? Listen up, here's some crap I thought of". That's how you win battles. Amen for you, "BudAtWake". Keep on keeping on.

God bless,

ProudDeacon1948

Hello sir,

This is excellent intel. I remember during the war when we were trying to decipher German codes, we were always hoping people would come forward and said "hey, I got no inside info, BUT guess who is f***ing awesome at guessing sh**?". Those were always the guys we trusted most. The guys who would step forward, start their own "threads", and just say "you know what guys? Listen up, here's some crap I thought of". That's how you win battles. Amen for you, "BudAtWake". Keep on keeping on.

God bless,

ProudDeacon1948

You're up late tonight Charles. Shocked you arent asleep after gorging at K&W

I've never met someone that mailed it in faster and harder than the OP during his last year of work at WFU. Would have made [Redacted] blush. But it's ok, kids were only paying $25k+ in tuition. So go on, Bud, tell me more.

406478_orig.jpg

Meh, I've done it before. He mailed it in and knows it. When he posts crap like this though, he needs to be called out. Dude wasted tens of thousands of dollars of peoples hard earned money.

Of course, Wellman could have decided to do it today so there is zero press coverage. Will it even make ESPN on a day like today?

Been on espn.com since late this afternoon.....good strategy for RW to announce today to hide among 16 games, etc...he's a marketing genius.....:bowrofl:

Tells you everything to know about Wellman. In his mind, the story is that his best friend resigned so we had to bury it. To us, the story is that we are getting a new head coach so it should have been front and center Monday morning. Wellman's behavior matched the timing. A good AD doesn't bury free advertising for an open coaching position.

Tells you everything to know about Wellman. In his mind, the story is that his best friend resigned so we had to bury it. To us, the story is that we are getting a new head coach so it should have been front and center Monday morning. Wellman's behavior matched the timing. A good AD doesn't bury free advertising for an open coaching position.

Don't really understand this. Every coach that's a candidate or wants the WF job or their agent knows about what's happening here. If they don't, they, or their agent(s), are too dumb to land the job. In my opinion, Wellman had a window to fire [Redacted] and he landed in that window. The fact that he did it on a day that NCAAT games were being played to push this story out of the mainstream media was a smart play for him.

Knowing that he has to make a historically good hire, his back is squarely against the wall and he knows it. I feel that the way this was handled shows that there are actually gears turning in the brain behind Wellman's eyes. I would have liked it to have happened earlier, but it didn't.

Nonetheless, I don't think delaying the firing affects the next hire.

The idea that Wake needs the "free advertising" for its bball coach is LOWF. While I think that Wellman did wait till yesterday so the story would get buried, any coach who is good enough to be at WFU is going to know about the opening and most likely knew about it long before it became official.

Karma's right- RW got back in town. Don't think a PC was necessary like YIA said but Wellman got an opportunity to mug again. But he also got what he wanted: the story is buried. It's been on the ESPN ticker but no one is really covering or talking about it in the national media. Bilas is on Mike & Mike all morning and I really doubt he mentions it given his apparent distaste for our fanbase and our inability to accept losing. You know, like Bilas and Dukies would. RW fucked up and just wants to keep the story low.

I have no inside information. My guess is that since the end of the ACC tournament, RW has been working the phones to see if he could cobble together enough support to keep Bzzz for another year. My guess is that he failed completely to find ANYONE who would support retaining Bzzz for another year and finally had to accept the fact that the man had to go. My guess he was finally told to get rid of Bzzz or hit the road himself. Faced with that decision he accepted the resignation that had actually been on his desk since before the ACC tournament. That is just my guess. Now lets hope he doesn't decide to be vindictive in his hiring Bzzz's replacement.

I think Ball State has a great idea. Lets eliminate all posts based on opinion and speculation and only post things that are fact based and verified as complete truth. That will eliminate about 95% of the posts and save bandwidth. This would be especially true with a search for a new coach, when 99% of the posts will be speculation and opinions. Golly that is a great idea! :)

I don't think that's what BSD was saying.

I do know that Ron Wellman does meet with every coach in every sport at the end of their season for a "yearly performance review". Dino came in for his review and was expecting to discuss the season and expectations going forward, recruits, etc. when Wellman fired him.

I do know that this meeting was scheduled after the ACCT loss, even though the decision on the "resignation" had been decided since (at least) the GT loss.

FWIW, each head coach is supposed to meet with assistants and do the same type of evaluation.

Wellman thinks it's a public relations/administrative masterstroke to keep up the charade that he meets with all his coaches at the conclusion of the season to discuss goals and, if things aren't going well, perhaps accept a resignation. Who knows -- maybe that kind of stuff really does give incoming coaches the fuzzies.

But that's clearly why he waited on making a move. Needed to go through the motions of the year-end review and the "hastily announced" press conference.

he's a master baiter

trolls_be_trollin___by_thatvalvegamer-d3aundh.png

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner.

I totally agree with this. It's not even on the front page of ESPN's college hoops page. I have yet to see it scrolled on the bottom due to all the NCAA games. This was done on purpose to hide it. Maybe RW is genuinely embarrassed by the past 4 years.

Wellman thinks it's a public relations/administrative masterstroke to keep up the charade that he meets with all his coaches at the conclusion of the season to discuss goals and, if things aren't going well, perhaps accept a resignation. Who knows -- maybe that kind of stuff really does give incoming coaches the fuzzies.

But that's clearly why he waited on making a move. Needed to go through the motions of the year-end review and the "hastily announced" press conference.

Actually, I think nearly all ADs do exactly that, every year. I'm not sure coaches, extant or incoming, get the fuzzies over it, but it comes with the territory. The AD is the boss. As an AD RW has displayed incredible patience with coaches. How long did it take before Jim Caldwell "resigned." He actually wanted to retain Dave Odom but Odom played his hand badly (I know him and he knows it - thus, no hard feelings). The good thing about a basketball program is that it only takes one recruiting class to turn everything around, one way or the other. It's up to the coach to get the most out of that class (if it's a good one), but it just takes that one. Sometimes it only takes one player, or maybe two. So the program isn't destroyed. I think there's a lot of potential on our current team but they do need to be "coached up." Just think, three or four more road wins, or maybe fewer if we take care of business at home with Ga Tech and BC, and we're in the post-season and Buzz might get an extension. Things always eventually work out.

Back